Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I'm interested to see how Rasputin will look when illustrated by Tyler Crook for the Mignolaverse. His take on the character for the graphic illustrated novel Petrograd was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_B View Post
    I'm interested to see how Rasputin will look when illustrated by Tyler Crook for the Mignolaverse. His take on the character for the graphic illustrated novel Petrograd was awesome.
    Very much agreed. Tyler Crook's Petrograd (I have the lush yet buffly affordible Oni Press hardcover) is an astounding experience.
    Page after page after page it makes for such graphical and imaginable bliss. Like everything fits in coming together.

I have that with Mignola - having me feel so on par with the material as if it's taking shape of it's own accord right under my eyes;
    I have that with Guy Davis' The Marquis - seeming such a quaint stream of scribbles and weirdness until what I come to be reading, as then it sucks me into a prism translating all into the finest ficticiousness;
    I have that with Paul Azaceta's art on BPRD: 1946, as if everything is shot through some way professional movie-camera or lens, so rich and laden and brewing;
    I have that with the feverish alienation which Corben's art can be proposing.

Tyler Crook and Philip Gelatt's Petrograd seems on the money like that, which I can feel to rejoice over like no man (but some kind of cooty puffy fruit-pants more rather).

And yeah, Gelatt/Crook's < Grigori > seems kindred, pleasingly cooty or puffily fruity even!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-23-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: adding the name of writer Philip Gelatt
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Spoilers for The Return of the Master #1 to follow.

It's nice to see plot threads pulling together, isn't it? And there's a lot going on in this one, too.

First, Tyler Crook's art in this story was awesome. It's nice to have a story set in BPRD Headquarters and have it feel familiar. I haven't felt that since Guy Davis left.

I also enjoyed seeing Peter become more prominent. He's been around for ages now. It's something I really appreciate with the BPRD is the time they take to establish new-comers, Devon and Giarocco in particular. And Giarocco looks like she's going to be front and centre in this story. She's on the covers of #2 and #3, the only recognisable BPRD agent on any of the covers. That's quite a step up for her.

Varvara and Nichayko certainly have an interesting history, only teased here, but it was a fun sequence.

But of it all, I'm most looking forward to seeing Panya and Fenix in the same room together. Both are so nebulous at the moment, and I feel like both could potentially draw the curtain back on the other.

I had fun with this story. It'll be fun to talk about it with Mike Mignola, Scott Allie and Tyler Crook tomorrow in the BPRD Twitter chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Spoilers for The Return of the Master #1 to follow.

It's nice to see plot threads pulling together, isn't it? And there's a lot going on in this one, too.

First, Tyler Crook's art in this story was awesome. It's nice to have a story set in BPRD Headquarters and have it feel familiar. I haven't felt that since Guy Davis left.

I also enjoyed seeing Peter become more prominent. He's been around for ages now. It's something I really appreciate with the BPRD is the time they take to establish new-comers, Devon and Giarocco in particular. And Giarocco looks like she's going to be front and centre in this story. She's on the covers of #2 and #3, the only recognisable BPRD agent on any of the covers. That's quite a step up for her.

Varvara and Nichayko certainly have an interesting history, only teased here, but it was a fun sequence.

But of it all, I'm most looking forward to seeing Panya and Fenix in the same room together. Both are so nebulous at the moment, and I feel like both could potentially draw the curtain back on the other.

I had fun with this story. It'll be fun to talk about it with Mike Mignola, Scott Allie and Tyler Crook tomorrow in the BPRD Twitter chat.
    It really was a brilliant issue, I was slightly hesitant going into it but it thoroughly bashed any and all doubts. This was the issue I had been waiting for all year it shows signs of actually tieing up some of the plot threads that have been introduced.

Kate was very human, Devon and Fenix developed a little more as people, Abe was brought up, Johan's body showed some progress and we saw Varvara. I'm pumped for the next four issues.

Here's Mignolaversity's review. There's a lot of interesting points in there, especially regarding the future of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm pumped for the next four issues.
    Me too, but (unless there's another Twitter talk I need to be ready for) I'm going to wait for all of this series so I can devour it in one go. I get the feeling the wait between issues would kill me.

Here's Mignolaversity's review. There's a lot of interesting points in there, especially regarding the future of the series.

Me too, but (unless there's another Twitter talk I need to be ready for) I'm going to wait for all of this series so I can devour it in one go. I get the feeling the wait between issues would kill me.
    There's absolutely no way I could wait for this series like that, good luck man!

SPOLIERS

Great start to this series... I really liked the fact that we saw a glimpse of quite a few agents in the BPRD. I feel like all the little series and one offs are about to payoff in a big way. I too am looking forward to seeing how the Panya and Fenix relationship pans out... I also dig the way Tyler draws Giarocco... gonna be a fun series.

And who is the mystery man on the final page?

The Russian scientist that showed up in Scotland at the beginning of the issue. He's just grown some facial hair.

I loved this issue. The Mignolaversity review summed up my feelings, a return to form after The Devil's Engine slump, and it definitely feels like a part of an ongoing and not another #1 so the change is well timed.

Did anyone else notice that one of the scientists coming out of the gym was wearing a BPRD fun run t shirt. Also, how the heck is Nichayko going to drink that Vodka?

This issue was great. Finally things are starting to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    Also, how the heck is Nichayko going to drink that Vodka?
    It doesn't look like he was pouring it for himself. He pours it then places it in front of Varvara and just leaves it there. Perhaps Varvara really liked that vodka and he's a bit sadistic?

It doesn't look like he was pouring it for himself. He pours it then places it in front of Varvara and just leaves it there. Perhaps Varvara really liked that vodka and he's a bit sadistic?
    That was my take, I think she mentioned her taste for vodka in one of the 1940's books.

There's absolutely no way I could wait for this series like that, good luck man!
    Thanks. I'm gonna need it. (My will is weak)
    That was my take, I think she mentioned her taste for vodka in one of the 1940's books.
    I'm looking forward to being able to read 1946, 1947 and 1948 in one sitting. This Varvara thing is a really big question mark at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    This issue was great. Finally things are starting to come together.
    I remember reading an interview with John Arcudi ages ago when New World first started where he was talking about how his first twenty issues of Hell on Earth would all be set-up, laying down the foundations, for this big epic story they wanted to tell. New World through to The Devil's Engine is twenty-one John-Arcudi-written issues. The set-up is over... Now onto the really crazy stuff
    Last edited by Middenway; 09-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks. I'm gonna need it. (My will is weak)

I'm looking forward to being able to read 1946, 1947 and 1948 in one sitting. This Varvara thing is a really big question mark at the moment.
    I'd throw in Abyssal Plain for good measure as she certainly had a role in that, if only as a cameo, and depending on if we learn more about her in this arc than what we saw last issue it may tie into Varvara's story as well.

I wonder if we'll ever get a story set in 1984, when Iosif is brought back to the SSS. And whatever happened to Melchiorre's Burgonet?