Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Issue 1 Preview

Last edited by Middenway; 08-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.

I don't normally look at previews but I caved, and man were those pages interesting. Can't wait to see the full issue.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't normally look at previews but I caved, and man were those pages interesting. Can't wait to see the full issue.
    It was one of those rare occasions where I let myself look... because I'm going to wait until all five issues are out before reading any of it. DECEMBER... it's going to be a long wait. I know it'll be worth it in the end, but the wait is going to be painful after getting used to reading some BPRD every month.

Default Issue 4 covers

This cover makes me ridiculously thrilled to read this

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I'm going to wait until all five issues are out before reading any of it. DECEMBER... it's going to be a long wait.
    Since there's gonna be a Twitter Chat with Mignola, Allie and Crook, I'll have to at least read the first issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    This cover makes me ridiculously thrilled to read this
    Yes, I can feel my resolve dissolving fast.

That sook cover is fantastic! I can't wait for this so I can't fathom how'll you wait this one out middenway.

An interview with John Arcudi on the Dark Horse blog.

I love the reply to this question:
    Dark Horse Comics: It seems most of the core agents of B.P.R.D. are down for the count or hurting something fierce. What happens when the B.P.R.D. reaches its breaking point?

John Arcudi: I gotta tell you, I just don't see that happening. They're too tough to break, in my eyes. I mean, if the whole human species becomes extinct, then sure, there won't be a B.P.R.D., but until that happens…Not that I'm saying that WILL happen! Besides, those core agents may be making a return to active duty sooner than you think.

WARNING: If you were wondering who "The Master" is, #3 makes it pretty damn obvious.

Maybe so, then again maybe not, since it seems primarily imagery to me. Really grand and buff imagery,
    but any imagery or metaphore or *adagium* presents itself up to even its very opposite, I would presume. Like two sides to a coin, or a glass filled to a degree.

Like in the case of Raspy, him claiming to being special or powerful seems potentially self-undermining, like he'd be saying:
    "No really, I'm a omnipotent!..." Saying any such a thing wouldn't be cutting it the same as just being it obviously.

Plus there'd be something seeming significant about the stuff happening in the narrative where old R.'s soul or spiritual remains would have gotten caught within the Baba Yaga's clutches into a magic acorn being cast down and beyond the roots of the Life Tree?

I dunno, but dudes like Raspy or that chuckly bald dude (fat catterpillar-man?) or any nazis give me a sense of them seeming great metaphores for overachievers/underperformers somehow. Like their want for supremacy would foremostly be to render them futile or idle instead.

But what Rasputin did get put behind his name, aside of a li'l bit of necromancin' would be the personal achievement of getting Hellboy summoned to Earth with project Ragnarok. So in that respect he might have seen himself as being "the master", over Hellboy and his purpose, but all the rest of Hellboy's actions seem to contradict much any mastership I'd feel.

I think I could see the whole of R.'s character as being to mirror Hellboy's being a demon: normally a demon or hellspawn gets portrayed as to having one distinct purpose which it'd be bound to, more rather than having any sort of identity or will of its own. I'd guess Hellboy to proving different in that respect. Which seems to be wearing down on any of Raspy's masterness I'd reckon'. But we'll see, as readers, won't we?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

A cool article about BPRD's 100th issue, plus a look at Tyler Crook's pencils.

This is a nice quote from the article:
    Where are you going next, particularly with B.P.R.D.?

Scott Allie: Where we're heading with this is simple: the end. There have been a lot of prophecies, a lot of omens, in the Hellboy books, including B.P.R.D. and all of this, and the omens have not been good. The idea is not that the reader can have a perfectly clear vision of where this is all heading -- a lot of interpretation goes into these prophecies, and a lot of the interpreters are wrong. But we are stepping things up and heading to the big payoff. The slogan for B.P.R.D. this year was, "It's all going to hell in 2012." Well, then what? Then you're in Hell for a long, long time, and our guys have to deal with that. Things have gone too far for them to hit the reset button and say, "Phew, handled that, all better now." Readers are going to see how things in Hellboy, Lobster Johnson, Abe Sapien, even Witchfinder, will just keeping coming together more and more over time. The payoff for [longtime Mignola readers] like you, Andy, is gonna be huge, and not all in one burst.
    Last edited by Middenway; 08-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.

This one is so awesome. To me it seems to be about getting into the Ogdru Jahad's cortex, for sparking it up and taking control, like how Nimue sort of did in the Fury, or how old Raspy would have wanted to.
    Which begs the question: if this next phase in project Ragnarok would (ever) come to be successful, would Hellboy and the revived or unchained Dragon get transported over to Vigrid instantaneously, for a final showdown?

Something hatching out from a dead agent? Maybe even like some kind of Vril-prophecy-thing, a new race, as if there wouldn't be enough of that already? O man...
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Something hatching out from a dead agent? Maybe even like some kind of Vril-prophecy-thing, a new race, as if there wouldn't be enough of that already? O man...
    That's a Year of Monsters cover. Nothing to do with the plot. The monster is The Blob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Maybe so, then again maybe not, since it seems primarily imagery to me. Really grand and buff imagery,
    but any imagery or metaphore or *adagium* presents itself up to even its very opposite, I would presume. Like two sides to a coin, or a glass filled to a degree.

Like in the case of Raspy, him claiming to being special or powerful seems potentially self-undermining, like he'd be saying:
    "No really, I'm a omnipotent!..." Saying any such a thing wouldn't be cutting it the same as just being it obviously.

Plus there'd be something seeming significant about the stuff happening in the narrative where old R.'s soul or spiritual remains would have gotten caught within the Baba Yaga's clutches into a magic acorn being cast down and beyond the roots of the Life Tree?

I dunno, but dudes like Raspy or that chuckly bald dude (fat catterpillar-man?) or any nazis give me a sense of them seeming great metaphores for overachievers/underperformers somehow. Like their want for supremacy would foremostly be to render them futile or idle instead.

But what Rasputin did get put behind his name, aside of a li'l bit of necromancin' would be the personal achievement of getting Hellboy summoned to Earth with project Ragnarok. So in that respect he might have seen himself as being "the master", over Hellboy and his purpose, but all the rest of Hellboy's actions seem to contradict much any mastership I'd feel.

I think I could see the whole of R.'s character as being to mirror Hellboy's being a demon: normally a demon or hellspawn gets portrayed as to having one distinct purpose which it'd be bound to, more rather than having any sort of identity or will of its own. I'd guess Hellboy to proving different in that respect. Which seems to be wearing down on any of Raspy's masterness I'd reckon'. But we'll see, as readers, won't we?
    maybe i'm reading this wrong but I took the word "master" in another way, not "master" over something, but "master" of....
    I'm thinking when his spark was cast down through the roots ol' Ras had a, i dont know, "hero's journey" so to speak, like Gilgamesh to the land of the dead (underworld?) and back again with a special understanding.
    I'm probably way off here, maybe that's just what i hope.

That's a Year of Monsters cover. Nothing to do with the plot. The monster is The Blob.
    I hate to admit I thought it was a giant stylised heart

like Hellboys heart

wow, I was way off

Thank goodness for that! So the Blob huh?
    Never saw that movie. Google says it's an amoeba, which is pretty dope.

Quote Originally Posted by meorsomeone View Post
    maybe i'm reading this wrong but I took the word "master" in another way, not "master" over something, but "master" of....
    I'm thinking when his spark was cast down through the roots ol' Ras had a, i dont know, "hero's journey" so to speak, like Gilgamesh to the land of the dead (underworld?) and back again with a special understanding.
    I'm probably way off here, maybe that's just what i hope.
    Well, I think there's a lot to say about the character Rasputin, like for instance how in Hellboy it seems we only see him after his human demise, we see him post-death, aside from one or two glimpses on how he would have been like a living monk way back when.
    Which conveys he must have made or craved some outlandish allegiances in order to return from death beyond it - but at the same time it poses the question: how did Rasputin return - in what capacity: did he return as being alive again, or as an undead and deranged or corroded ex-person more rather?
    And seeing how Rasputin would appear all fancy and full of himself, like he'd be feeling himself mighty and capable - maybe such would or could be the derangednesss and corrosion talking?
    After all, in collaborating with nazis, in searching to appease or abide to how he thought the allmighty Ogdru Jahad would like it - as prophecized in secret texts or documents Raspy would have come to be knowing - or so he'd think - what Rasputin did through summoning Hellboy would be none other than selling out and betraying his own race, the race of man.
    Since 'Anung Un Rama' or 'Hellboy' would for Project Ragnarok be spelling nothing else than "destruction of all mankind".
    Although luckily Hellboy proved to having a mind of his own. Since Hellboy doesn't appear anything as singularly pious or devout as either Rasputin or nazis, or things would have been more doomy already.

Which isn't to say that as a reader I'd like or need to see Rasputin as purely evil or either Hellboy as purely good, because that would spoil things. The thing with good vs evil is only exciting or only really works if and as long as the narrative would prove it to being sort of up in the air.
    Appointing any protagonist as all good or all bad from the start might appear as making things easier, but at the same time it would be to cripple any themes or story matter a great deal.

Which is why folktales or folklore so often may appear as seeming a little too volatile or a little too wriggly and potentially twisted or "not childsafe": most folktales are called 'folk-tales' because they'd be tales devised up and told among specifically the folk - the common folk, who couldn't read or write or who wouldn't be scholars or schooled hardly if at all. They only had a few hours to spare between work like for sleeping and eating and in the evening at the burning fireside, after dinner or before bed they'd tell eachother stories.
    Potentially vivid and moral/immoral or world-shattering ones. On why to not be craving the loveliness of the boss's daughter, since she'd be carrying razorblades in all the wrong places or either she'd be known to suck healthy men to their demise. Or what happens when children don't take heed, like for going to bed on time. Any of that and more, depending on what persons tell what stories.
    A lot of cheap thrilly pulp stories such as Poe or Lovecraft or R.E. Howard seem to share that thematical playfulness.
    Or either R.E. Howard's Solomon Kane shares it for instance: the person of Kane is left mysterious and his focus on righteousness too: either Kane is totally sane and the world harbors all the sickness he encounters, or either Kane could be a little fruity in the upstairs - but still he does appear to help people out in their battles or at least he has his adventures with a certain flair and panache.

Like Don Quichote or Baron von Münchhausen, they'd both be certified fruitbats 100%, but still they have a story to tell.
    Or the beauty both as tragedy to the original Pinocchio: he wants to be a kid but instead he's a wooden puppet and he comes to die by hanging in the end - now that's tragic allright. Although he first feels or grows gratitude due to getting new feet after his old ones get burnt off. Which seems potentially gruesome or unfeeling-like perhaps, but he'd be a puppet specifically and not of flesh and blood.
    Which seems to point out how any all-too-straightforwardness or singularity thematically - to the point of being binary or totally black & white - will hamper and cripple storytelling more rather than helping it one bit.
    Even for good vs evil, or heroes, or winning, being binary isn't necessary or hardly ever fruitful. Because everything must depend on perspective, the way reality teaches, plus any theme relates to its own opposite, again depending on but perspective or context. When you talk about winning you automatically talk about losing all the same. And all good or evil only work as being two sides to the same coin or street or piece of livestock.

Or at least that's what all the wonderful examples of storytelling, including Mignola's Hellboy, seem to be telling me .
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-23-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: two minor typing errors.
    . ~