Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

TWO issues of B.P.R.D. tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    TWO issues of B.P.R.D. tomorrow!
    It's a Christmas miracle!

Holy... Wow. This arc wasn't doing a whole lot for me, I've been a bit too distracted by life lately to commit too much of it to memory, but then I sat and read the whole thing in one go. Just amazing.

It has all definitely hit the fan now. This Black Flame is no joke, and we are treated to an old familiar face. Can't wait for this thread to get developed!

SPOILER

You'd think they would have destroyed the Salt On Sea monster if it had just been sitting there dormant for the past year. I find that a little odd. But I'm super happy to see that beastie again. Probably my favorite of all the nasty creatures we've been treated to thus far.

Lookadat. They were kind enough to mention Lisbon in the global Ogdru Hem rampage. Always nice to be mentioned in an apocalyptic event.

The ending was pretty inviting too. Seems Iosif has something in mind big enough to try and scale thing in his favor. Hard to imagine what it is considering there's a non-stop all you can eat Ogdru Hem buffet going on.

*SPOLIERS* *SPOILERS*

A great finale to this series. The new Black Flame IS a power to be reckoned with for sure. I was suprised how quickly Dr. Lazar went down. I thought he would still have some role to play. I guess not.

I was hoping for a small cameo from the Oannes Scoiety. They have been quiet since the end of King of Fear. Maybe they are being saved to play a role in the "evolution" of Abe.

I could definitely handle this book being bi-weekly... it's hard to wait a month!

Man, that issued killed me.

The Black Flame wasn't kidding when he said "Everything", that was a lot to digest. He killed that frog monster, and then woke up a ton of giant monsters all over the world.

How do you deal with that?

More importantly, from a story telling perspective, how does one escalate further from this event? It boggles the mind.

This is going to make things a lot more interesting (even more so that is) for the world of the BPRD, really looking forward to Harren's take on all this next month, lot to look forward to coming from the BPRD next year

Despite her condition I was ecstatic to see Liz again, it's been so long since the Monsters mini and before that even longer since her previous appearance before that. Just the other day I was wondering when Liz was gonna come back into the comic, I mean Abes brain dead right now and we see more of him.

Hopefully since she used her name whatever hospital she's checked into uses it and the BPRD find out and go get her, I just want my girl to be a main again so bad.

I have been critical of late of this series, mainly due to the characters they are using, and especially the ones they are not. But this was a great issue and it looks like the return of Abe and Liz to the fold.
    I posted in the 1948 thread of my agreement with the critical letter in that series. But I have to say, this issue is a very positive step.

There are definitely some legitimate points for criticism in the BPRD comics, but I don't think this present shift in focus is one of them. I can understand that people really miss the original 'special talent' agents, but there is so much more to what's going on now than them. Events are progressing on a worldwide scale. It's not just the odd haunting or cultist group that can be taken down by a few people with a better-than-average chance of surviving--it's an all-out war that humanity is losing. They need all the help they can get, and the majority of that help will necessarily be humans.

I think bringing in more human characters and focusing on the world outside the main few (many of whom can't come back right now anyway) is fleshing out this story better than any of the comics have before. The early BPRD series gave the readers a sort of 'tunnel vision' that focused solely on those few special agents and left us to wonder--or just plain not care--how their actions were actually affecting the world around them. That was just fine back then, but their actions are having a huge, devastating impact on the world around them now, and it would be an enormous disservice to the plot this team is building to ignore that. The harried Director, shifty mummy, and jerk ghost guy aren't the only people feeling the effects of these most recent events, and I think it would be boring if we just focused on them.

And that's another point to consider. So many of the characters that made this series great are gone now, or at least temporarily in a position not to be focused on. In a coma, in hiding, possibly-but-maybe-not dead. I don't think allowing other characters some time in the sun means that those first characters are being abandoned--far from it. They've spent too much time developing them to randomly toss them out to focus on a bunch of humans instead. There are obviously big plans for all of these characters. Their time will come. Maybe next month, maybe in a year or two, but their time will come. We just have to be patient and wait for things to fall into place so that their stories can eventually be told!

Though it hurts to go back and reread early comics where the team was all together and mostly alive, and I wish I could read some more stories set in that time frame, I'm glad that's not where they are now. If everything stayed the same throughout the comic, none of these events would mean anything. I'm glad that characters are getting scared and running off to hide, or changing in new and awful ways, whether inside or out. I'm glad they're out of commission, because that means that the story being told will hold nothing sacred, not even its most popular characters. This thing is happening the way it's happening whether we like it or not.

Mostly I'm excited to see how they choose to tell the story of what's happening to the world and how they expand upon the past and the future with it. I look forward to when the better-known characters to reappear to do their thing, whatever that will be, but until then, I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    The early BPRD series gave the readers a sort of 'tunnel vision' that focused solely on those few special agents and left us to wonder--or just plain not care--how their actions were actually affecting the world around them. That was just fine back then, but their actions are having a huge, devastating impact on the world around them now, and it would be an enormous disservice to the plot this team is building to ignore that. The harried Director, shifty mummy, and jerk ghost guy aren't the only people feeling the effects of these most recent events, and I think it would be boring if we just focused on them.
    I couldn't agree more. As the scope of the story has broadened, so has the kind of characters it can be about.
    Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    Though it hurts to go back and reread early comics where the team was all together and mostly alive, and I wish I could read some more stories set in that time frame, I'm glad that's not where they are now. If everything stayed the same throughout the comic, none of these events would mean anything. I'm glad that characters are getting scared and running off to hide, or changing in new and awful ways, whether inside or out. I'm glad they're out of commission, because that means that the story being told will hold nothing sacred, not even its most popular characters. This thing is happening the way it's happening whether we like it or not.
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying the constant change in the series. I don't know what the face of the series will look like a year from now and that's very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Yeah, I'm really enjoying the constant change in the series. I don't know what the face of the series will look like a year from now and that's very exciting.
    Exactly!

I would have been happy with a BPRD comic that stuck to the status quo, that kept my favorites alive and just puttered around through this or that supernatural threat. That would have been great and I would have enjoyed it, because that's what got me here in the first place.

But I'm so much more interested in this world now that everything is uncertain and seemingly lost. This story is so much bigger than I ever expected when I first picked up Plague of Frogs, and as the scope of what's being told broadens, I am struck again and again at how brilliantly written and put-together this whole thing is. It's such an interesting and risky way to tell it, too--through successive 'short stories' focusing on different aspects of what's happening. Not many comics (if any?) have taken exactly this approach to telling their story. It places a lot of trust in the reader to be willing to dig in, piece things together, and interpret the story themselves. And trust in the reader to stick around even when none of the characters are familiar anymore.

For a while there I could almost predict where things were going with these comics, but the end of RotM blew that all away for me--and I have no clue what's going to happen from here on out. There is no status quo to return to, and I really savor the sense of uncertainty and impermanence running throughout BPRD these days. I can't wait to find out where it's all leading.

Here's a look at the design for The Master by James Harren (from his DeviantArt):

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing that find. Love it! I hope we get to see Harren draw him again somewhere down the line...

Oh, you will. He'll pop up in James Harren's next project after The Abyss of Time in a five-issue arc, I believe.