Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

I'm expecting big things in tomorrow's issue...

Me too... especially after see the preview was ONLY one page.

Beware. Spoilers ahead for issue 4 ahead.

OK, first up, I gotta say it's a shame the schedule had to be juggled around for the new numbering. It was unavoidable really, but still a shame. As an ongoing series, we'll always get one issue of B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth per month, but unfortunately, we can never get more than one issue per month. You can really tell The Abyss of Time #1 was supposed to come out in November just prior to this issue. Big things are happening in Hell on Earth, but it's going to be a long time before we can see them unfold. As it is, after The Return of the Master we'll flashback in The Abyss of Time to Lehane's mission in Chicago (coming out January and February 2013). Then May through July in Wasteland we'll catch up with Johann in Chicago on the mission he left for in The Return of the Master #4. It's only by August we'll finally catch up with the fallout of this current arc! These stories would've been written before the decision to become an ongoing was made, so I guess for a little while the pacing is going to seem a bit stretched. We'll waiting on some cliffhangers for a while.

Aside from all that, this story was filled to the breaking point. But I can't go any longer without saying... The Black Flame! The Black Flame! Oh man, he's back! And I love that Marsten doesn't even seem remotely surprised. Clearly he knew what was coming.

The Black Flame's a character I've had so many questions about for so long. We've seen a few incarnations of him too. In The Burning Hand we saw Raimund Diestel as the Black Flame with a Siamese woman, Kamala (possibly the Crimson Lotus). We learned very little about either one of them, though I suspect we'll at least learn more about Kamala in Lobster Johnson: A Scent of a Lotus early next year. The next time we see the Black Flame was in The Dead, in a scrapbook showing images of him in World War II. Was this still Raimund Diestel or has the flame found a new host? I suspect we'll learn more about him in the new series starting next year with Sledgehammer '44 featuring Professor Bruttenholm in World War II. Then there was Landis Pope introduced in The Black Flame who appeared as the Black Flame throughout the Plague of Frogs cycle. And finally, we have this latest incarnation, this time with no human soul in its host body.

We know the flame itself is tied to the frogs (it was used to summon Katha-Hem after all), but we've never really understood the nature of that connection. I wonder if The Black Flame will have any interest in the Salton Sea creature?

I enjoyed this issue. It was fun, but overall it was a tease for events still yet to come. And I still don't know how Lazaar fits in all of this. I'm just sort of left puzzling how all these separate stories connect.

I'm also still geeking out about that final page.
    Last edited by Middenway; 11-28-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I'm also still geeking out about that final page.
    The cover of the next issue has new meaning, in light of the quite awesome revelations in this one.
    mod of r/TheDark, for news and discussion of The Dark line and related titles.

*SPOILERS*

Scott Allie posted on twitter,

And later this week we show you the real version of the BPRD #102 cover by Ryan Sook!
    Can't wait.

This was definitely a great issue. I loved the rapid fire pacing. Plus, I love it when the book touches on so many characters like this one did with... a lot of new stories were seeded.

The new Black Flame looks to be a thing to be reckoned with... for some reason he reminded me of the Engineers in PROMETHEUS.

Cool

Man, I don't usually curse but there really isn't a better way to express my self than this, "Fuckin' A, man."

Seriously, that last panel?

Mind blown.

I mean, I figured they'd call down some other spirit than Ratsputin but I didn't see the Black Flame coming at all. Damn.

It's a little weak, but I'm thinking the Black Flame spirit that seems to take human form from time to time may be related to the angel creatures we've seen pop up now and again. With the black skull engulfed in fire he almost looks like a perverted version of those guys, perhaps he's an essasnce of that lone angel that originally created the dragon?

I don't know but it looks like we'll be finding out pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Man, I don't usually curse but there really isn't a better way to express my self than this, "Fuckin' A, man."
    I struggled with that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Beware. Spoilers ahead for issue 4 ahead.

Was this still Raimund Diestel or has the flame found a new host?
    Totally Pope (or maybe Zinco?). It was speaking English. It said "Yess!" not "Jaaa!".

I didn't see this either, but it makes perfect sense and I'm so glad the character has reappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by absenter View Post
    Totally Pope (or maybe Zinco?).
    I was referring to the Black Flame from the 1940s (seen in the scrapbook in BPRD: The Dead. His remains are kept in the secret Nazi room at Zinco). Who his host was is still unknown.

The current Black Flame, I'm guessing, is the real deal. You'll notice for the first time he eyes instead of just empty sockets. This time he has no human soul in the way. This host was empty, so he can inhabit it entirely. Or at least that's my theory.

Last edited by Middenway; 12-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.

MUCH better :)

Neil Simon's Reservations

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I struggled with that, myself. My kids were in the room and when I went, 'Oh My God!' they looked at me like I just told them Santa wasn't real. It really took me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDonAbides View Post
    I struggled with that, myself. My kids were in the room and when I went, 'Oh My God!' they looked at me like I just told them Santa wasn't real. It really took me by surprise.
    Oh my god! You're a monster!

On another note, Mike Mignola is working on the trade cover for this story at the moment. It made me laugh...
    Mike Mignola: I'm setting a record for how many times you can redraw a cover.
    Scott Allie: Again?
    More for the sketchbook section, I guess.
    Last edited by Middenway; 12-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by absenter View Post
    Totally Pope (or maybe Zinco?). It was speaking English. It said "Yess!" not "Jaaa!".
    Maybe Jim Sacks?
    "The evil I can tolerate, but the stupidity!!!"