Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Had a conversation with a friend of mine who's also a comic book collector about Crossgen today, he knew I was into them back in the day but when I mentioned that my time with Crossgen was probably my absolute favorite time as a comic book collector he though I was crazy. I guess it was just my taste. I liked the different styles of characters and stories they told, they had gods, fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, jungle style characters, and other mixes of things and it was truly amazing how they all connected to create a giant universe. The only other time my comic book collecting was rivaled by my time with Crossgen was between 1995-1998 when I was heavy into Sovereign Seven by DC and X-Men titles by Marvel, those years were an absolute whirlwind of comic book store visits and trying to keep up with every book I could on literally no money. I was 14 in 1995 and literally had to mow lawns and shovel driveways to earn cash, that and my dad used to give me $20 every weekend for spending cash and it all went toward comics.

The CrossGen experience was certainly one of my favorite time in comics. I had the privilege of moderating the CrossGen forum here at CBR (after nagging Jonah to create one). We had a great bunch of posters on that forum and some great conversations. Some of the crew are still here at CBR today (Shout-out to The Adventurer)
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Had a conversation with a friend of mine who's also a comic book collector about Crossgen today, he knew I was into them back in the day but when I mentioned that my time with Crossgen was probably my absolute favorite time as a comic book collector he though I was crazy. I guess it was just my taste. I liked the different styles of characters and stories they told, they had gods, fantasy, sci-fi, superhero, jungle style characters, and other mixes of things and it was truly amazing how they all connected to create a giant universe. The only other time my comic book collecting was rivaled by my time with Crossgen was between 1995-1998 when I was heavy into Sovereign Seven by DC and X-Men titles by Marvel, those years were an absolute whirlwind of comic book store visits and trying to keep up with every book I could on literally no money. I was 14 in 1995 and literally had to mow lawns and shovel driveways to earn cash, that and my dad used to give me $20 every weekend for spending cash and it all went toward comics.
    I experienced quite the same thing. I was a big supporter of CrossGen comics, largely due to the fact that it was the closest thing to feeling like the original Valiant comics which I LOVED. It seemed like everyone I told about CrossGen, with the exception of my wife, just kind of rolled their eyes when I told them how great those books were. They had something for just about every type of reader, outside of the standard superhero comics pumped out by Marvel and DC, and I appreciated that quite a bit. I ended up purchasing collected editions of any CrossGen title I could get my hands on, and they are still on my bookshelf so I can read them whenever I like, which is pretty frequently.

I remember going to the comic shop with my friend Kenny about 2 years after Crossgen first started publishing and he wanted to catch up and grab everything he could find that was a part of the core Sigil-verse. We hit like 5 comic shops that day but he ended up with almost 100 comics with like 90 of them being Crossgen, it was epic. He was brushing up on Sigil, Scion, Crux, and Sojourn if I remember correctly, we still talk about that infamous run around the state to all these shops from time to time, it was a damn fun day.

You can probably guess by looking at my username what my favorite Crossgen book was.

Negation was outstanding.

I also loved Sojourn, Route 666, and Scion. I kinda liked Way of the Rat as well.
    Last edited by Obregon Kaine; 01-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    Favorite books: All books by Valiant, Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman, Invincible, Uncanny Avengers, Five Ghosts, and The Sixth Gun.

This thread made me register! lol

It's nice to see I wasn't the only person that enjoyed the Crossgen books so much! Scion, Sojourn and The First were my favorite books but so many of them were so good! I still have all my issues and I think it's about 99% close to a full run of everything they put out.

My fondest memory was the 1st year at SDCC they had a HUGE booth with all the creators in attendance. Basically a giant round table in the middle of the booth. My wife and I went around from artist to artist getting sketches from everyone we could! George Perez, Brando (1st year artists started using Copic Markers and he was trying them out!), Scott Eaton, Middleton, they were all there. A lot of the writers were too and they were signing small posters for everyone too. Great fun!

Welcome!

I never went to a con that Crossgen attended but based upon your post I wish that I had, especially to just meet all of the creators of (at the time) my favorite books. I'm glad all the former Crossgen fans are coming out of the woodwork thanks to this thread I created, have you read my Crossgen blog?

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    have you read my Crossgen blog?
    I just read your latest blog. Good stuff. I love Valiant as well. They are currently my favorite comics publisher. With X-O Manowar being my favorite book.
    Favorite books: All books by Valiant, Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman, Invincible, Uncanny Avengers, Five Ghosts, and The Sixth Gun.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonedelf View Post
    This thread made me register! lol

It's nice to see I wasn't the only person that enjoyed the Crossgen books so much! Scion, Sojourn and The First were my favorite books but so many of them were so good! I still have all my issues and I think it's about 99% close to a full run of everything they put out.

My fondest memory was the 1st year at SDCC they had a HUGE booth with all the creators in attendance. Basically a giant round table in the middle of the booth. My wife and I went around from artist to artist getting sketches from everyone we could! George Perez, Brando (1st year artists started using Copic Markers and he was trying them out!), Scott Eaton, Middleton, they were all there. A lot of the writers were too and they were signing small posters for everyone too. Great fun!
    I was at SDCC that year and won the poster with all of their characters signed by every creator on staff at the time. It's one of my most cherished pieces of comic memorabilia and it hangs framed on my wall so I can look at it in awe every day. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Obregon Kaine View Post
    I just read your latest blog. Good stuff. I love Valiant as well. They are currently my favorite comics publisher. With X-O Manowar being my favorite book.
    Thank you, sir! I'm currently working on a "Who's who in the Valiant Universe" series of blogs with the first entry going up probably next weekend.

Anyhow, like I've said many times, this Valiant launch is the closest thing to to Crossgen that has given me these awesome internal feelings that make me NEED to visit the comic book store just to get their books. It's a wonderful feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by rasx View Post
    Negation with Obregon Kaine was so awesome!
    And yes the new Valiant is bringing back that good feeling.
    Agreed and co-signd completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Unity808 View Post
    I was at SDCC that year and won the poster with all of their characters signed by every creator on staff at the time. It's one of my most cherished pieces of comic memorabilia and it hangs framed on my wall so I can look at it in awe every day. =)
    I remember that poster being given away! Very cool that you still have it! Lucky!

And yes, I still have all my sketches from that show!

I've been trying like crazy to piece together the entire Sigil-verse, but man......some of these issues are becoming harder and harder to find in comic book stores, thankfully the web has me covered. I'd literally down to a handful of books to complete the original Sigil-verse as it was printed, I will feel so accomplished once I'm finally done.

Once again, 2000-2004 was just a fun time to be a comic book collector and a Crossgen fan. :)

Comics buff TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar

I'm glad I found this thread as I too was a huge fan of Crossgen during their publishing days. I came across the books by accident when I saw Sigil and Scion on a new release rack at my comic book store and I was si impressed with the art inside of Scion that I picked both books up, a week or two later I nabbed Mystic and fell in love with that book too. Before I knew it about 8 months had gone by and I noticed I was buying almost all of the Crossgen output and then I went back and read everything multiple times over and decided that Crossgen was now my favorite comic book publisher, this happened probably sometime in 2001. Then more and more titles came out and I was snatching up everything I could off the racks at my local comic book store and I was enthralled and engrossed into the CGU, it was such a fun time to be a comic book fan and collector and I was really amazed at titles like Scion, Sojourn, Crux, and The First, but I loved the entire line as a whole and even got into some of the non-Sigilverse titles like He-Man and stuff like that they were producing. I was devastated when they ceased publishing and still am to a certain extent.
    Reading Dynamite pulp titles and Dark Horse superhero books.

I was at my LCS when I first saw the Crossgen line of comics, mainly the initial 4 with a huge "#1" slapped on the top of the cover. I shrugged and picked up Mystic and Scion #1 and instantly fell in love. Luckily, Crossgen was launching an entire universe of characters and not just a few random series and I immediately lost myself within the Crossgen atmosphere and dropped everything else I was reading aside from Ultimate Spider-Man. The next few years was pure bliss and I will always hold Crossgen close to my heart.
    @BslyTheGamerGuy (Twitter)
    Http://Bslydarksky.blogspot.com (Blog) - Updated 4/17 Review of CONTRA for the NES is up!!