View Poll Results: How do you like hush

Voters
42. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Hate him

6 14.29%
  • Don't care

14 33.33%
  • I like him

22 52.38%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheSensationalSean View Post
    The "switching places with Clayface" retcon was so clumsy, it really felt like Winick was trying to clean up Loeb's mess! I was glad he did though, Jason's been interesting since his resurrection.
    That part aggravated me the most. There's absolutely no place where Jason could switch with Clayface. As for 'cleaning up Loeb's mess', if Loeb was told 'no, you can't have Jason Todd back' by editorial, then it's not his fault. Nor was it really a 'mess' until Winnick sandwiched that retcon in there. Because again, there's not a single spot where Jason could switch out for Clayface; Bruce starts noting that things are wrong immediately, from the fact that 'Jason' never calls him Bruce, to the fact he doesn't know Tim's name, either. As such, Winnick made his own mess.

Junior Member TheSensationalSean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Statham View Post
    As for 'cleaning up Loeb's mess', if Loeb was told 'no, you can't have Jason Todd back' by editorial, then it's not his fault.
    Was it an editorial decision? If so, it was crazy to let the whole Jason thing appear at all!

So, since this has been collected, released, and re-released so many times, which versions are the best? Or are they all pretty much on par for their respective prices?

Junior Member TheSensationalSean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PKO View Post
    So, since this has been collected, released, and re-released so many times, which versions are the best?
    The Absolute Edition is wonderful; Jim Lee's art enlarges beautifully and the extras are really interesting. In fact, I'll be rereading it soon, all this talk has inspired me! It's obviously a little pricey, but if you can afford it, I'd recommend it.

For me I thought the whole meaning behind that storyline was Batman looking at where his life was at that moment. The orgin for Hush was pretty good to me. I liked how the reason for Thomas Elliot's actions involved Bruce Wayne's father.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    The orgin for Hush was pretty good to me.
    I tried to kill my parents so I could get my inheritance sooner.
    Your dad the doctor prevented this, so now I have vowed vengeance on you, and have become a doctor myself.

That's not even golden age terrible, that's just Loeb trolling us.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I tried to kill my parents so I could get my inheritance sooner.
    Your dad the doctor prevented this, so now I have vowed vengeance on you, and have become a doctor myself.

That's not even golden age terrible, that's just Loeb trolling us.
    That doesn't really sound any worse than a bad man killed my mommy and daddy so I vowed that I'd vow vengeance on the criminal element so no one else would know my pain.

Melodrama is just an inherent element of the super hero genre.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That doesn't really sound any worse than a bad man killed my mommy and daddy so I vowed that I'd vow vengeance on the criminal element so no one else would know my pain.

A child watching his parents gunned down and having severe mental trauma, enough to the point where he works relentlessly to dedicate his life to fighting crime is more believable than another ten year old child (a very rich one at that) having murderous tendencies and having the mental capacity to be one of the best surgeons in the world but lacking the mental capacity to appropriate his anger where it belongs. You can argue that Elliot has schizophrenia, but having schizophrenia without "incidents" until the events of Hush is stretching it.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveDupin View Post
    A child watching his parents gunned down and having severe mental trauma, enough to the point where he works relentlessly to dedicate his life to fighting crime is more believable than another ten year old child (a very rich one at that) having murderous tendencies and having the mental capacity to be one of the best surgeons in the world but lacking the mental capacity to appropriate his anger where it belongs. You can argue that Elliot has schizophrenia, but having schizophrenia without "incidents" until the events of Hush is stretching it.
    Bruce's choice doesn't really seem all that more believable to me, they're both equally silly, but it's a superhero book so you just kind of have to roll with it.

Hush was engineered to be an anti-batman. Is that slightly cliched? Certainly, and a bit of a tired trope as well but not at all unbelievable in a world where a man in long underwear and a cape is an effective crime fighter.

Yes, it does. Hush should've just tried again. There's nothing worse than lazy people.

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Yes, it does. Hush should've just tried again. There's nothing worse than lazy people.

And Bruce could have just tried to live a normal life or become a cop, but if he did any of those things he wouldn't have been Batman.

These aren't real people and more often than not they are written in ways that have them making decisions that are favorable for forwarding the plot rather than being believable or realistic reactions.

lol nvm i'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    lol nvm i'm wrong
    I don't think anyone can truly be wrong here, it's very much a case where ones mileage may vary. Personally I just don't see where Elliot's origin is anymore unbelievable than Bruce's, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah Under the Hood was Hush done right.
    I think The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were HUSH done right.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

And Bruce could have just tried to live a normal life or become a cop, but if he did any of those things he wouldn't have been Batman.

These aren't real people and more often than not they are written in ways that have them making decisions that are favorable for forwarding the plot rather than being believable or realistic reactions.
    In fiction, we want fictional character to have clear and logical motivation, much more so than we do in real life. It's how stories work.

In a comicbook universe, Batma, makes sense.
    Life destroyed by crime --> grows up to be a crimefighter. Logical.

Life destroyed by a doctor --> grows up to kill doctors. Logical.
    --> grows up to be a... doctor? And vowing to kill your best friend, only tangentially connected to your 'trauma', but not doing anything about it for decades until you findout that he's also a superhero? Ludicrous.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."