Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mil't 'sthete&consumerist

Default Wooing: Do You Try to Seek Likely Mates at Cons, Shops? Results?

[Addressed to posters to this forum]
    I haven't tried because I have not been going, but now I shall. One poster, Polar Bear, reported meeting his wife at a con in '88. I won't discuss the methodology I plan lest I inspire imitation and competition, although (*inserts fannish bluster*) I have no competition. The plethora of nubile young women who appeared at Megacon 2012, half in costume, floored me. From whence did they come? I must check the program to determine what drew them. One asked to take my photo, so I can't be bad, even without a costume. My challenge arises because I wish to marry someone very close in age to myself yet it's hard for me to tell someone's age range from their momentary appearance, so a sorting process will necessitate. Would you marry a nonfan? I would; values, not interests, are key.
    __________Are there any ladies active in this forum besides Jezebel Bond (the second replier to my very first post)? I certainly invite your comments. Sometimes it's hard to know gender because men often display female avatars out of fondness and handles can be so nondescript; until I do know, I try to refer to a poster as “they”. It'd be swell to have a thread discussing romance comics, which I've never opened. The pre-Silver Age covers by L.B. Cole pmpknface posts in the “...Purchased Lately...” thread portend entertainingly saucy fare, and Scott Harris just noted in the 40 years ago thread he bought “Falling in Love” 136 that Jul.. The rub would be no surrealism; that's not required 24/7.
    __________Have you tried so-called dating (a word I disfavor versus “wooing” and “courting”)sites? How have you done? For now a few weeks short of two years I've been utilizing eHarmony as an unpaid subscriber taking advantage of “free times” when I was aware of them, and I recommend you skip it and try elsewhere, which I shall. The site is hard to navigate for repetitive tasks, and I question whether the matching process is legitimate as I originally got matches who quite apparently could not speak English. Their process takes many hours if you complete it sincerely, and I have ended up with meager response from women to show for my time of cumulated days into weeks, stretched out, though in fairness it isn't over yet. Wikipedia shyly relays there have been complaints and suits against some on-line matchmakers. At least one fannish site, Star Trek Dating, exists.
    Last edited by BDiogenes; 07-08-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: tiny print causative of typos

Good post, BD. I can't really offer any insight or help, but now that you bring it up, my wife and I met at a local comic shop. I would have married somebody who doesn't share my interests, but it certainly is nice to have a wife who understands and appreciates my hobbies.
    Good luck on your quest for love!

woooahh there..... too much info.... must bleach mind....
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDiogenes View Post
    At least one fannish site, Star Trek Dating, exists.
    Note to self: Ascertain the possible existence of a site called Brother Power the Geek Dating.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 07-08-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Note to self: Ascertain the possible existence of a site called Brother Power the Geek Dating.
    Rag doll fetish, hmm?

Cei-U!
    I summon dan's machine washable FWB!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

My initial reaction to this thread was to post some scathing and sarcastic reply, but I'm gonna resisit that temptation and give you a straight answer instead...or at least a straight account of the way stuff happens in my life.

Personally, I've never really had much trouble finding members of the opposite sex to date. Without wanting to brag, I've had quite a lot of different girlfriends and more casual encounters over the years. Consequently, dating sites have always been something that I've been curious about, but really never felt the need to try. However, I think that they are a perfectly legitimate way to meet a potential mate, although they are desperately unromantic in my opinion.

As for dating a fellow comic book fan, I've never really felt the need to be honest. It's good to have things in common with your gf, but then again, I'm really not looking to date a carbon-copy of myself. I like dating women that can teach me something...that know stuff that I don't know. I find that a very attractive quality in a person.

Plus, in my experience, the girls that frequent comic shops are a) relatively small in number, and b) just as dorky and socially awkward as their male counterparts. You meet dorky guys all the time, but dorky girls are much rarer in mainstream society...yet they can be found in pretty much any comic book shop. So yeah, although the fantasy of an exceptionally hot and brilliantly intelligent comic book reading girl is an attractive one, it's really just that...."a fantasy", and not something I've ever felt the need to actively pursue.

Also, with regard to you comments about sexy female cosplayers at cons, don't automatically assume that those nubile young ladies are there to hook up with a comic geek. I only know two women that do cosplay myself, and neither of them are really that into comics at all, they just like the "dressing up" part of it, rather than the "encyclopedic knowledge of pre-crisis DC" part of it, if you catch my drift. This is something that I think quite a few male comic book fans misunderstand: just because a girl enjoys one facet of the comic/fantasy sub-culture, it doesn't necessarily mean that she's looking for a man who's also from that sub-culture.

On reflection, my above comments probably aren't very helpful to you. Oh well...sorry about that, but there it is.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Trouble is, without issue #3 in your collection, the babes just don't want to know you!
    MY PULL LIST

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Rag doll fetish, hmm?
    This Rag doll might fit the bill for you, Dan:

BDiogenes you post bravely my friend. I for one appreciate your openness to such topics. All I can add is my wife pretty much hates comics, although she is a huge book-fiend. She tolerates my hobby pretty well, so I guess I got lucky...especially due to the fact that I didn't get back into comics until after I got married.

I keep seeing these spam adds about a geek dating sight on youtube. Not that any of us are geeks mind you. But that's another topic altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by The Confessor View Post
    Personally, I've never really had much trouble finding members of the opposite sex to date. Without wanting to brag, I've had quite a lot of different girlfriends and more casual encounters over the year.
    Most of whom have tended to resemble David Crosby, I understand.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Most of whom have tended to resemble David Crosby, I understand.

LOL! Yeah, but with worse teeth!

Look, it's not my fault…it's a small town with steep valley sides and not much opportunity to mix with other communities, OK?! Besides, facial hair on women can look very fetching in the right light!
    MY PULL LIST

I imagine it might be more difficult to find a LTR with a woman attending a con. Many people visit from other cities to dress up as CB characters. I met my current wife on Myspace in 2008. I guess you can meet a woman anywhere but it won't matter unless you have chemistry when you're face to face. I tried Plentyoffish and met a nice girl but I was on a rebound and it didn't go anywhere. Plus the women on Plentyoffish seemed to be more interested in hook ups than in anything serious. I married a woman that doesn't have any interest in comics. In fact, she was ,at one point, "suggesting" that i get rid of all the long boxes. I have since changed her attitude.
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I have since changed her attitude.
    That sounds ... sinister.

(Probably because I'm about 2/3rds of the way into a book on the Homulka killings in Canada.)

-- Reptisaurus!

lol. She has come to appreciate my hobby and actually attended last years Baltimore con with me. I am still selling most of my books on ebay- Non keepers for chump change I might add...
    Life is what you make it.

That sounds ... sinister.

(Probably because I'm about 2/3rds of the way into a book on the Homulka killings in Canada.)
    Karla Homolka met Paul Bernardo at a Scarborough restaurant on October 17, 1987, while they were both attending a convention in Toronto. (Wikipedia)

>Gulp<

Maybe they were Shriners.

Actually, it was a pet store (something to do with the pet store industry, anyway) convention.

Rather gripping book, I have to say, though a couple of grammatical errors sort of irritated picky ol' me, most notably a noun-verb disagreement. Still, nothing as bad as the book I read before this one, in which the author wrote of something being "sluffed off." Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

-- Reptisaurus!