Page 602 of 662 FirstFirst ... 102502552592598599600601602603604605606612652 ... LastLast
Results 9,016 to 9,030 of 9926

Well... after being offline a few weeks, discovering that this is the Omnibus that will try to cash-in on the success of the Thor 2 movie was not what I was expecting...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mighty-Tho...y+thor+omnibus

I was really rooting for some Dan Jurgens Vol.1 Omni or Gillen's Thor/Journey into Mystery...
    "Inventing a job is better than finding one"

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I noticed that. Still:

Amazon $100 Omnibus at a rare 45% preorder discount is $55 (plus 6% tax is $58.30 for many states)

CGN $100 Omnibus at 50% discount is $50 plus $6.99 shipping is $56.99.

So, Amazon has a fight chance against CGN at the $100MRSP price point, but that's with an unusually high discount on Amazon. Any less discount or any more than $100MSRP and CGN is still the winner.

I'd probably go up to $10 shipping with CGN before I got annoyed. Have you ever noticed how much they pay to ship those double-wide boxes? Mine are usually close to $20!
    But for those in CA, you pay a 9% tax on top of that. So Amazon still wins there. However, if you want your book packaged right, it can be worth the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHorus View Post
    Well... after being offline a few weeks, discovering that this is the Omnibus that will try to cash-in on the success of the Thor 2 movie was not what I was expecting...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mighty-Tho...y+thor+omnibus

I was really rooting for some Dan Jurgens Vol.1 Omni or Gillen's Thor/Journey into Mystery...
    You weren't expecting them to release a Masterworks compilation aka something they've released for almost every movie since Fantastic Four?

Wow - new Thor omnibus coming this summer?! That's exciting news to me!

That hasn't been mentioned on here before has it?

Really looking forward to that one. Thanks JohnHorus!

Wonder what the cover(s) will be...

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    You know, Brand New Day has highs and lows, which is what you'd expect with any team writing effort that came out 3 times a month, but overall it's a pretty fun read.
    Hmm yeah maybe. I just got so irritated with how it started. With the most inept description on the first page or so of the Civil War unmasking. Basically people remember Spider-Man unmasked, but no one can exactly remember who it was. I mean whoever came up with and approved that should be keel hauled.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    But for those in CA, you pay a 9% tax on top of that. So Amazon still wins there. However, if you want your book packaged right, it can be worth the extra cost.
    I can't really get in to too many specifics but I'll say a couple things:

1) One factor that went in to the dollar raise is that USPS rates went up yesterday across the board.

2) Amazon charges sales tax in CA now too so it's a wash there and as someone who used to have to order books from Amazon (and I do still order all my "regular" prose books from Amazon) the packaging is atrocious as I'm sure everyone knows. I've heard this varies depending on what location your book ships out of but I'm always nervous opening a box from Amazon that I'll have to send for a replacement.

3) As Krisis says, basically anything over $100 retail and we're still going to be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    You weren't expecting them to release a Masterworks compilation aka something they've released for almost every movie since Fantastic Four?
    With the way Marvel has been releasing omnibus as of late, I can't hold it against anyone who is surprised that an omnibus is getting solicited
    My review of Absolute Dark Victory

If I were a MOD I would ban anyone who uses the stupid word "omniboo."

Hi,
    First time poster, long time lurker. Great thread, and it's been very valuable in helping me track down some great books.

A little info about myself. I'm a lifelong comic reader, been reading since the early 80s. My favorite character is Spider-man. I'm not an OHC/Omni collector but I do have a few and am looking forward to adding more to my collection. I enjoy the format, size, convenience and durability compared single issues.

Here's what I have as far as Omnis:

Brubaker Cap vol 1
    Brubaker Cap vol 2
    JMS Thor
    Secret Wars
    John Carter
    Michelinie ASM vol 1
    ASM vol 1
    ASM vol 2
    UXM vol 1
    Claremont/Lee X-men vol 1
    Michelinie Iron Man - PO'd

Had some questions I was hoping people could help with the answers.

1) I'm trying to collect as much classic Spidey in OHC format as I can. I've been looking into the Marvel Masterworks to fill in after ASM vol 2. However, I think I'd need MMW vol 8 - 15. Is there any news on a ASM vol 3 omni coming out or should I just move forward with the MMW?

2) Is the Secret Wars 2 omni worth it? I vaguely remember reading some of the issue when I was younger, but any thoughts on the book as a whole?

3) Has there been any mention of an Classic Alpha Flight omni? The TPBs (especially vol 1) are going for decent money and are hard to track down. I think the first 30 or so issue would be perfect for an the omnibus format

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Welcome to the thread Neon2102!

The general rule of thought around here tends to be that if the omnibus has not been solicited by Marvel just yet then it's all really a guessing game. Until there is concrete proof out there that the book will see print it's really an unknown.

2. I have never read the main Secret Wars II series, just select tie-ins like Uncanny X-Men #196, 202-203 which were not all that bad if you like Rachel Summers. I'm sure someone else can enlighten you better on if it merits a purchase or not.

3. There has not been word of a John Byrne Alpha Flight omnibus, but if there was I know that I would purchase one. For whatever reason with a good portion of Byrne's Marvel work has seen reprints predominantly in the vein of the Classics line (examples: Alpha Flight, Avengers West Coast, Namor the Sub-Mariner). All story lines prime for an omnibus release hopefully at some point in time by Marvel.
    Last edited by Tekkaman Blade; 01-29-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon2102 View Post

2) Is the Secret Wars 2 omni worth it? I vaguely remember reading some of the issue when I was younger, but any thoughts on the book as a whole?
    Welcome!

No, it isn't, imo. While SW I is fine, SW II just drags on and on, is in general bad storytelling and on top of that accompanied by bad art (Milgrom!). If you don't have any nostalgic feelings about it, you're better off spending your money on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Welcome!

No, it isn't, imo. While SW I is fine, SW II just drags on and on, is in general bad storytelling and on top of that accompanied by bad art (Milgrom!). If you don't have any nostalgic feelings about it, you're better off spending your money on something else.
    I wouldn't say the tie-ins to SWII are bad storytelling; most of the titles have excellent writers (Bryne, Stern, Claremont) at the top of their game. I enjoyed the omnibus for it was, but I doubt I'll read it again. In fact, I've been kicking around the idea of selling/trading it off.

1. I was in the same boat regarding waiting on Spidey v3 vs. jumping into the masterworks. Given the strong performance of "Amazing Spider-Man" in theatres and the sequel already coming to theatres on May 2, 2014, I've decided to gamble on a 3rd classic omnibus being likely. I did pick up masterworks 11-13 though, assuming that the 3rd omnibus would collect v8-v10. I'm not interested in collecting the run past the death of Gwen, so it was a fair compromise. If an omnibus v4 ever appeared, I'd likely just sell the masterworks in order to have a full omnibus set.

2. I wrote a lukewarm review of "Secret Wars I" a while back and it soured me on reading the sequel anytime soon. I do have the sequel mini-series in a custom bound version though (just the mini-series from my childhood collection, none of the tie-ins) and vaguely remember reading those original issues as a kid, but they were tough reads even then. Most of the "Secret Wars II" tie-ins that would interest me, such as "Fantastic Four" or "X-Men," would be covered in collections of that material anyway.

3. The odds would seem to be increasing of an eventual "Alpha Flight" omnibus, given that the last TPB is wrapping up the Byrne run. The size would be nice (30 or so issues) and fit into a $100 package. It seems like a no-brainer, but one has to wonder how likely it is in the near future if Marvel is still dragging its feet on Byrne's FFv2
    Reviews, Adventures, Advice, and Creative Works:

http://www.studioremarkable.com/

Hey Max_CGN, does your company have any plans to have a Canadian store? I know you ship to Canada but the shipping costs make it better to just go with amazon. I don't think there is anything in Canada that even comes close to what you do in the states, Amazon holds most DC/Marvel books at the 37% off.

Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    With the way Marvel has been releasing omnibus as of late, I can't hold it against anyone who is surprised that an omnibus is getting solicited
    Well done chum.

A thought popped into my head while I downloaded the first handful of issues of The New Mutants by Claremont / Sienkiewicz that are now available on Comixology this afternoon....

I am familiar with the path Marvel takes to create Omnis out of existing Masterwork material. They use material that has been previously cleaned / restored and is available for a reprint as an Omni. I wonder if they do the same type of cleaning / restoration to comics that are available in Comixology for download?

And if they do, does this mean that we have another source to indicate where they can pull material from to create Omnis?
    Last edited by BlackSun17; 01-29-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo