Page 501 of 662 FirstFirst ... 401451491497498499500501502503504505511551601 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 9926

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Still debating getting into the GI Joe books and almost there to pull the trigger. New Teen Titans Vol 3 is a slam dunk for me.

The other companies should send gift baskets to the Marvel print departmnet for Christmas. Since Marvel has slowed down on OHC's and Omnibuses other companies are getting extra sales
    What do you want to know about GI Joe to help you get there? I can tell you they're very cool and that I'm all in for at least the next couple volumes. The art looks great in the oversized format and the volume 1, with its jacketless look, is much more attractive than most any Marvel OHC I can think of AND it has a sewn-binding and good paper unlike a particular poorly-written POS major summer event OHC that will I won't mention by name here (hint: it stars the Avengers and the X-Men).

Also, that 20% off at B&N may still get you the GI Joe OHC for less than $25.
    Last edited by DrGregatron; 12-07-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Recently I've been thinking that Marvel should take a page out of DC's book when it comes to what material should be published in Omnibus form. But not THAT page:

Marvel NOW! Omnibus announced (688 pages, $99):

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...w-omnibus.html

Same as the useless (imo) DC (New) 52 Omnibus.
    Oh, brother! Now I believe those people who claim DC is the leader and Marvel is the follower. Is there no idea no matter how dumb they won't copy from their distinguished competition?

I'd be interested if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    Oh, brother! Now I believe those people who claim DC is the leader and Marvel is the follower. Is there no idea no matter how dumb they won't copy from their distinguished competition?
    I'm pretty sure there are some people in this thread that bought the DC New 52 Omnibus thinking it would be sought-after one day. I wasn't one of them, and I don't like the idea at all, but there are some that do.

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    I'd be interested if the price is right.
    See?

I have no interest in the Marvel Now! Omnibus, or the DC New 52 Zero Issue Omnibus or any other kind of collection of mostly unrelated issues thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    When I picked up Morning Glories Deluxe the other day, I also re ordered Fear Agent library 1 & 2. These books I'm most looking forward to reading.

Since we're talking about what we've been reading in the Marvel Omnibus lull, I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to let me know what you think of Morning Glories. I read a few pages of the first issue at the bookstore to see if it was interesting, but I honestly couldn't tell if it was something that I would like or not. I've looked at reviews and some of them have mentioned that the first deluxe ends with nothing really resolved, which makes it sound like the read isn't that satisfying.

If you or anyone else have read it, let me know what you think. Our community in this thread (and the DC and General threads) contains people who's advice I trust over any online reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by PandemicF View Post
    What could be worse than some of the more recent selections? An < 700 page omnibus of unrelated first issues. Luckily, I have picked up all the first issues I've been interested in.

Words escape me.
    Wow. I'm back in the pity party from earlier in the week regarding the recent lack of slam-dunk releases... I guess that we can just hope that it isn't the only omnibus or OHC being released that month.
    Reviews, Adventures, Advice, and Creative Works:

http://www.studioremarkable.com/

Among 24 Batman TPBs/HCs (recently got into his stuff)... I ordered Avengers Vs X-Men.

I just got the New X-men omnibus and the X-statix omnibus from instocktrades. I followed the directions for what to do with a new book and both were lying down flat on the table at what seemed safe for the binding. Any other tips for how to keep them in top condition? Right now I have them standing on a shelf like normal books.

Quote Originally Posted by studioremark View Post
    Wow. I'm back in the pity party from earlier in the week regarding the recent lack of slam-dunk releases... I guess that we can just hope that it isn't the only omnibus or OHC being released that month.
    As with the New 52 omnibus--which Marvel's copying with both this book and the Now relaunch--I ask myself, "who would want a collection of unrelated first issues?". What is the point of that?

The thought it'll take the slot of an omnibus many of have requested is perhaps the worst part. As a community here, we have on several occasions identified at least a dozen omnibus books a majority of us would be interested in. Marvel, however, has yet to offer us any of these books this fall/winter buying season or next year for that matter (with the exception of Michelinie Iron Man that many of us expressed an interest in). I just don't understand the plan of soliciting so many low demand runs all in a row?

In my case, since I said I would be interested if the price were right, I have always been a fan of Marvel and have no connection to what is going on in the modern comics at all beyond buying superior omnibuses that collect groups of completed series. I would be interested just to see what is going on in current issues and what route they are going down. Simple as that.

The Marvel Now Omnibus seems odd but is best explained by these two sentences from the article:

DC has had sales success with a similar collection for their New 52 reboot from last year.
    DC did it, their Omnibus made them money, might as well try it at the House of Ideas. Unfortunately Marvel NOW isn't even like the New 52 - it's simply a marketing scheme and a buzz word/phrase hoping to capitalize on the same feelings that people had in regard to the New 52 that made that a success (at least within people who already buy comic books). Staggering the titles over many months without the same level of media coverage or advertising that DC had behind the New 52 probably won't net Marvel the same results. Neither will the fact that to the outsiders who actually heard about the New 52, the idea was clear - it was a reboot of the DC universe. Marvel NOW is just a creative team switch with some new teams/team members. It's not even close to the same impact as DC's reboot. Again, I think "Marvel NOW" is supposed to be a buzz word to evoke the same feelings in consumers as "New 52," even if they are fundamentally different in substance.

Even with a $99.99 price tag, the massive books have a following among completists fans.
    That's the other reason Marvel did it. Completionists - of comics in general or of the Omnibus line - keep buying this stuff, so both Marvel and DC will keep churning out half baked collections. It seems like the vibe in this thread will be to "vote with your wallet" and not buy it - but this thread is a small minority of the minority that even buys Omnibuses. Plenty of other people will shell out for this stuff. Unfortunately I feel like the Marvel trade department might take low sales of this (if that is the eventual result) as reason to put out even fewer Omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by profDEADPOOL View Post
    I just got the New X-men omnibus and the X-statix omnibus from instocktrades. I followed the directions for what to do with a new book and both were lying down flat on the table at what seemed safe for the binding. Any other tips for how to keep them in top condition? Right now I have them standing on a shelf like normal books.
    For bigger omnis you'll want to create a small support to place under the center of the page block to support the weight of the pages when it's upright on the self so they don't unnecessarily pull at the binding. I never really thought this was necessary, but it was actually my X-Statix book that started showing some sag, later followed by some of my other bigger ones. If you're not sure what I mean or what to use (some cardboard will do), shelve the book backwards and look at the curve at the top and the bottom of the pages - should be pretty symmetrical.

With all the talk of less omnibuses being published, I can't help but feel like within a year we may start seeing more. But all modern runs and less classic. Marvel's current method seems to be new volumes and creators after 20-30 issues, so all of these "complete" series are going to be in perfect omnibus size. New Avengers, Avengers, Uncanny X-Force, and Uncanny X-Men are perfect examples. With Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2 they'd still have to worry about Vol. 3, but with Gillen Uncanny, it's a one and done book. Maybe that's also why we've been seeing less OHCs of books that used to get them annually, because they're saving them for one omnibus.

Eh, anyway. Pure speculation. Just wanted to put it out there and see what others thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PrankT View Post
    In my case, since I said I would be interested if the price were right, I have always been a fan of Marvel and have no connection to what is going on in the modern comics at all beyond buying superior omnibuses that collect groups of completed series. I would be interested just to see what is going on in current issues and what route they are going down. Simple as that.
    Will these #1 issues even be current or relevant by the time this comes? Or will it come out quickly in a glue-bound book? And what will you learn from 40 different 10-minute reads? Will a single issue in omnibus format make you want to go buy the tpb to get the next 3 issues of Uncanny Avengers or FF? I own well over twenty omnibuses and this doesn't even sound tempting. Waste of an omnibus slot that could have been used to publish something lots of people are demanding IMO. Where's UXM 2? Byrne Fantastic Four 2? Alpha Flight? The list goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    For bigger omnis you'll want to create a small support to place under the center of the page block to support the weight of the pages when it's upright on the self so they don't unnecessarily pull at the binding. I never really thought this was necessary, but it was actually my X-Statix book that started showing some sag, later followed by some of my other bigger ones. If you're not sure what I mean or what to use (some cardboard will do), shelve the book backwards and look at the curve at the top and the bottom of the pages - should be pretty symmetrical.
    Oh yea I definitely see what you mean with the pages going down. I am going to go quickly grab the box they came in and cut pieces off to that with.