Page 454 of 662 FirstFirst ... 354404444450451452453454455456457458464504554 ... LastLast
Results 6,796 to 6,810 of 9926
  1. #6796
    Richards!!! josh straightedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Doom is wherever he wants to be
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    Thats where you are wrong.

    Liefeld has PLENTY of fans and I can easily see this being a popular omnibus that a lot of people will buy.

    Having said that, I can think of MANY things better than a Liefeld omnibus that I would rather Marvel release.
    Yeah, we all bitch day and night about the guy but if he didn't have fans who buy stuff only because of his involvement, then no one would have offered him work. He's also an incredibly nice guy in person.

    I don't buy anything he's involved in. It's just the way I feel about his art and 90's work ethic, but I can't deny he has a legion of fans.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

  2. #6797
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    73

    Default

    My opinion (and I'm allowed to have one, right Mr. Forum Overlord? Regardless if you think it's "dumb" or not) is that a lot of his fans of the X-force issues bought the MPCs already so what's left is the omnibus completist. I mean think about it... who had an inkling that Marvel would release a Liefeld X-Force omnibus? Yes, I understand that Liefeld have a decent group of fans, but are they willing to spend $50-$100 for an omnibus, especially if copies of the MPCs are still available at a much lower price?

    But with that said, I didn't say "I want NO omnibus over a Liefeld omnibus" just to be funny--I sincerely hope that it'll sold out and gets a second and third printing to meet demands. However, I do think that it has a decent chance of being a flop, and any flop = chance that Marvel will cut back on releasing more omnibus or plant a thought in them that the line is no longer profitable and therefore should be cut. It's being paranoid as hell but dammit... if I don't waste money on these books what am I suppose to do with my money? ;)





    Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    Thats where you are wrong.

    Liefeld has PLENTY of fans and I can easily see this being a popular omnibus that a lot of people will buy.

    Having said that, I can think of MANY things better than a Liefeld omnibus that I would rather Marvel release.

  3. #6798
    Senior Member merrick97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
    My opinion (and I'm allowed to have one, right Mr. Forum Overlord? Regardless if you think it's "dumb" or not) is that a lot of his fans of the X-force issues bought the MPCs already so what's left is the omnibus completist. I mean think about it... who had an inkling that Marvel would release a Liefeld X-Force omnibus? Yes, I understand that Liefeld have a decent group of fans, but are they willing to spend $50-$100 for an omnibus, especially if copies of the MPCs are still available at a much lower price?
    Plenty of people will trade in their MPC to get a high quality omnibus!

    That happens on this board all the time.
    My review of Absolute Dark Victory

    If I were a MOD I would ban anyone who uses the stupid word "omniboo."

  4. #6799
    Senior Member grahamgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    Yeah, we all bitch day and night about the guy but if he didn't have fans who buy stuff only because of his involvement, then no one would have offered him work. He's also an incredibly nice guy in person.

    I don't buy anything he's involved in. It's just the way I feel about his art and 90's work ethic, but I can't deny he has a legion of fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Yeah, I have nothing against the guy, he seems like a decent fellow, and I would believe that his famous name holds some sway on a comic cover, but the "whiskers" on everyone is just weird, and he REALLY has an issue drawing women's faces, especially Spider-Woman, for some reason. There are times, I'll admit where things look REALLY great, and the page flows and people look good and you just get immersed in it, like you are supposed to; but then there are other times where it just stops you in your tracks. You mentioned that "Coipel's art wasn't as spectacular as usual", I'm not sure I agree with you, it was just beautiful. Not being argumentative, but I think I'm tainted there by the fact that I think he's like the best thing Marvel has right now in the artist's stable.
    He does better at street level, crime noirish atmospheres with limited #s of characters. His earliest Spidey work is just kind of middle-of the road quality, his Iron Man run was great but it was helped mightily by inker supreme Bob Layton, and honestly his 1990s Spidey work was pretty good (in my opinion anyways). Lately though the quality has started to drop and characters often look like giant blockish lego figures. And the whiskers. Lord help.

    His biggest attribute, aside from being a very likable guy as you mentioned above, is his ability to churn out work at near record pace. I think I read somewhere where he turned in all the pages in the Spidey 9/11 book in like a week or something silly like that. And at one point in the late '90s/early 00's he was drawing multiple monthly books at the same time (Spidey & Hulk). The only other guy I can think of that does work that fast is Bagely. And of course back in the day, Kirby.

  5. #6800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Yeah, I have nothing against the guy, he seems like a decent fellow, and I would believe that his famous name holds some sway on a comic cover, but the "whiskers" on everyone is just weird, and he REALLY has an issue drawing women's faces, especially Spider-Woman, for some reason. There are times, I'll admit where things look REALLY great, and the page flows and people look good and you just get immersed in it, like you are supposed to; but then there are other times where it just stops you in your tracks. You mentioned that "Coipel's art wasn't as spectacular as usual", I'm not sure I agree with you, it was just beautiful. Not being argumentative, but I think I'm tainted there by the fact that I think he's like the best thing Marvel has right now in the artist's stable.
    I started reading the Wedding of Cyclops and Phoenix this weekend and it has some of his Uncanny X-men issues in it and I couldn't help but be distracted by Jean Grey's face. At times the "whiskers" make everyone look like they are about to become Apocalypse. Jean Grey, who is usually pretty feminine, looks like a bad drag queen with cat whiskers. Yesshh.

  6. #6801
    Senior Member merrick97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    Yeah, we all bitch day and night about the guy but if he didn't have fans who buy stuff only because of his involvement, then no one would have offered him work. He's also an incredibly nice guy in person.

    I don't buy anything he's involved in. It's just the way I feel about his art and 90's work ethic, but I can't deny he has a legion of fans.
    Weird. My perception of Liefeld was that he was a douchebag.

    I saw his twitter feud he had with Scott Snyder and I felt that he came across much worse.
    Last edited by merrick97; 11-19-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    My review of Absolute Dark Victory

    If I were a MOD I would ban anyone who uses the stupid word "omniboo."

  7. #6802
    Formerly GarbageMan
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    Weird. My perception of Liefeld was that he was a douchebag.

    I saw his twitter feud he had with Zach Snyder and I felt that he came across much worse.
    You mean Scott Snyder

  8. #6803
    Senior Member merrick97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    You mean Scott Snyder
    Thats what I said
    My review of Absolute Dark Victory

    If I were a MOD I would ban anyone who uses the stupid word "omniboo."

  9. #6804
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Danville, West Virginia
    Posts
    2,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    Yeah, we all bitch day and night about the guy but if he didn't have fans who buy stuff only because of his involvement, then no one would have offered him work. He's also an incredibly nice guy in person.

    I don't buy anything he's involved in. It's just the way I feel about his art and 90's work ethic, but I can't deny he has a legion of fans.
    Liefeld definitely does have a huge fan base. DC wouldn't have put him on three of its new books if he wasn't a fan favorite. The same goes for JRJR. I hate his art and avoid anything he draws, but those books on which he works sell like crazy or else Marvel would be someone like Dale Eaglesham, Alan Davis or Butch Guice on the books that JRJR draws.

  10. #6805
    Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    .

    Anyway going to read this tomorrow but this is the first book in a while that hasn't got me wanting to read it, hopefully those story is readable.
    The construction of the book is a terrible disappointment. The paper is crap and the binding (as Krisis pointed out)is terrible, like as in Powers Vol 1 terrible. I will say that the cover (not the dust jacket) is really nice. I wasn't excited to read it and JRJR didn't help but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I was expecting to read another Fear Itself but it was a good story, felt epic and had some real weight to it. The art for the second half is great but the pacing is a little off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    You mentioned that "Coipel's art wasn't as spectacular as usual", I'm not sure I agree with you, it was just beautiful. Not being argumentative, but I think I'm tainted there by the fact that I think he's like the best thing Marvel has right now in the artist's stable.
    I didn't say Coipel's art wasn't great, just not as great. Look at the detail and look at his line work and compare it to his stuff in Thor or Siege. He glazes over a lot more stuff, his lines aren't as sharp and the detail isn't as....detailed ;). Coipel (even on a bad day) is still puts out some of the best you'll see, and his work in AvX is really great, I just personally didn't find it on par with his usual work. Even Kubert seemed a little off. Could just be me though.

  11. #6806
    Senior Member DrGregatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    24th and 1/2th century
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    He does better at street level, crime noirish atmospheres with limited #s of characters. His earliest Spidey work is just kind of middle-of the road quality, his Iron Man run was great but it was helped mightily by inker supreme Bob Layton, and honestly his 1990s Spidey work was pretty good (in my opinion anyways). Lately though the quality has started to drop and characters often look like giant blockish lego figures. And the whiskers. Lord help.

    His biggest attribute, aside from being a very likable guy as you mentioned above, is his ability to churn out work at near record pace. I think I read somewhere where he turned in all the pages in the Spidey 9/11 book in like a week or something silly like that. And at one point in the late '90s/early 00's he was drawing multiple monthly books at the same time (Spidey & Hulk). The only other guy I can think of that does work that fast is Bagely. And of course back in the day, Kirby.
    I think his ability to churn out material quickly comes directly at the cost of quality. I get frustrated with his post-80's work because I know he can do significantly better than what he does. I've read plenty of his 80's stuff and so I know he can create decent art (no where near his father's equal however), but I've read he's said in interviews that he'd rather just churn out the work and collect a check nowadays.

  12. #6807
    Formerly GarbageMan
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    Thats what I said
    I think a twitter argument between Zack Snyder and Liefeld would be flippin hilarious though

  13. #6808
    Formerly GarbageMan
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I think his ability to churn out material quickly comes directly at the cost of quality. I get frustrated with his post-80's work because I know he can do significantly better than what he does. I've read plenty of his 80's stuff and so I know he can create decent art (no where near his father's equal however), but I've read he's said in interviews that he'd rather just churn out the work and collect a check nowadays.
    As a few posters have said, I think his Spidey work with JMS was pretty great, really suited a lot of the stories. I do agree that his work can be incredibly rushed and it really does show as a drop in quality.

  14. #6809
    Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrick97 View Post
    Weird. My perception of Liefeld was that he was a douchebag.

    I saw his twitter feud he had with Scott Snyder and I felt that he came across much worse.
    Yeah, everything I've heard about him is that he is really hard to get along with and a complete douche.

  15. #6810
    Senior Member DrGregatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    24th and 1/2th century
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    As a few posters have said, I think his Spidey work with JMS was pretty great, really suited a lot of the stories. I do agree that his work can be incredibly rushed and it really does show as a drop in quality.
    While his JMS ASM stuff was not horrible, I much prefer his Stern ASM work. His 80's ASM isn't perfect by any means, but it isn't highly stylized and is much more to my tastes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •