Page 434 of 662 FirstFirst ... 334384424430431432433434435436437438444484534 ... LastLast
Results 6,496 to 6,510 of 9926

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Glued binding has less flexibility and results in things like gutter loss and words/images being sucked into the spine. Sewn binding like the omnibuses use has none of that so you can read straight into the spine.
    But that would play havok with the outer spine, no? Opening a volume that wide? I know some of the lager tomes (New Avengers and Spider-man come to mind here) are much harder to handle than this one due to thier obnoxious girth. They are both sewn, but letting them lay flat causes all sorts of irreversable crinklining of the cover.

I dunno. I never open the books farther than a loose V, cradled in my lap...so this isn't something that I can see bothering me. I may be alone on this though.

Thanks for the explanation though. :D
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    But that would play havok with the outer spine, no? Opening a volume that wide? I know some of the lager tomes (New Avengers and Spider-man come to mind here) are much harder to handle than this one due to thier obnoxious girth. They are both sewn, but letting them lay flat causes all sorts of irreversable crinklining of the cover.

I dunno. I never open the books farther than a loose V, cradled in my lap...so this isn't something that I can see bothering me. I may be alone on this though.

The dust jacket hides the crinkling. As long as you don't leave the book open for super long periods of time it'll be fine. They are designed to lay open and flat.

I'm sorry, but I kind of found this important:
    On Amazon.co.uk, it has a 'Thor by J Michael Straczynski' listed, but the issues are listed up to 600.Wierder, it listed it as a preorder, for December 2010. Which is two years ago, obviously. Is this the omnibus of the run or not, or is it just out of print and the .co.uk site is goin' nuts? It's something I want very badly, and I don't want to waste thirty pounds on something that doesn't exist. (Please reply! I've posted twice here and gotten ignored, but I feel this is important.)

Formerly GarbageMan

I've never had any damage to any of my spines. Even the larger ones(I let the spine separate from the binding when opening, not let it go into the V with the spine). And I honestly don't find them too hard to handle

Quote Originally Posted by Rasengan2000 View Post
    On Amazon.co.uk, it has a 'Thor by J Michael Straczynski' listed, but the issues are listed up to 600.Wierder, it listed it as a preorder, for December 2010. Which is two years ago, obviously. Is this the omnibus of the run or not, or is it just out of print and the .co.uk site is goin' nuts? It's something I want very badly, and I don't want to waste thirty pounds on something that doesn't exist. (Please reply! I've posted twice here and gotten ignored, but I feel this is important.)
    Thats the omnibus.

If I'm not mistaken it was initially solicited as an OHC but was subsequently upgraded to an omnibus.

You should post a link and we'd be better able to help you. That description is pretty vague, but sounds like it could describe the JMS Thor omnibus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thor-By-J-Mi.../ref=pd_cp_b_1
    There's a link. Thanks to you guys, I ... Guess its the omnibus, but has the weird preorder-in-the past thing happened to anyone else?
    You guys are awesome :)

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    So, giving a good score on Amazon isn't going to get you a great reviewer rating, either, if your reviews don't make sense. I'd advise you to write your review, Krisis. If it's honest and makes sense, I'll mark it helpful. Other buyers should be warned, if only to prevent more glued-bindings on OHCs and Omnibuses.
    It's more like, "Why am I spending time writing and editing this review for someone else to profit from and people to downvote when I could just be creating content for my own websites."

But, all points taken, when I am finished reading it I will review it.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I've never had any damage to any of my spines. Even the larger ones(I let the spine separate from the binding when opening, not let it go into the V with the spine). And I honestly don't find them too hard to handle
    They're not destroyed or anything. But they def bend and buckle if you lay the book flat.

I'm a bit anal about stuff like that, so I just never open them so wide. I'm the same way with novels and regular trade collections. I like a crisp spine. :p
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

There's a link. Thanks to you guys, I ... Guess its the omnibus, but has the weird preorder-in-the past thing happened to anyone else?
    That's the Omnibus, flick amazon a email about the preorder button as that shouldn't be there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFanatic View Post
    Guys, how long does Barnes & Noble take before they dispatch your order(on free shipping)?

THANKS!
    It updates on the order page 60 minutes after you place an order, go check there for shipping date.

Where do I send them an email?
    I'm sorry, I don't usually need to do this, so I have no idea. I usually use the book depository, except for omnibusses.
    EDIT: I... Think I found it. I'll update when I get a reply. You guys are great, thanks.
    Last edited by Rasengan2000; 11-11-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Update

They're not destroyed or anything. But they def bend and buckle if you lay the book flat.

I'm a bit anal about stuff like that, so I just never open them so wide. I'm the same way with novels and regular trade collections. I like a crisp spine. :p
    In a sewn binding the ribbon bends, not the spine, as that's what the pages are attached too. With a glued binding the spine bends as that's what the pages are directly attached too, so if you open wide you get bent spines. It's why paperbacks get spine damage so easily if you open them too far. Glued binding.

That's why AvX is a dissapointment, afaik they haven't done a glued binding for something over 500 pages in quite a while.

It's out of print now and I doubt very much you would ever receive it. It think the pre-order is a glitch. Both Book Depository and Amazon US are out of stock and won't get more. Just had a look at amazon Germany (since I'm guessing you are in Europe) and it's also out of stock.

Forbidden Planet UK looks to have a copy:

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/ind...ducts_id=59203

Finally got my Zomnibus replacement and it's not as bad, but still not great. The last signature has only just made it onto the the ribbon so is half hanging off. Probably not worth trying a third time. I bought it from a local store (Australian local - not local to me so still had to have it shipped) and I asked what happens when they get returns like this. They said that basically Diamond won't take international returns unless they are sent back pretty much the day of receipt so they have to eat the loss. They try and make a little back by selling it as damaged stock. It seems the distribution side of the comic industry does everything it can to put comic book shops out of business.