Page 432 of 662 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 9926
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    So is WWH worth picking up too?
    I'd only consider it as one of two options:

1) Part of a bigger Omnibus Pak whole

2) Cheapo foreign language oversized edition

I'm sure one of those will materialize eventually and I'm nothing if not patient.

Sorry Pak, but you can't get me to haul ass to get piecemeal OHCs.

Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    Only if you enjoy bleeding from your eyes.
    Guess that saves me some money then!

Remember when I said the AvX OHC seemed pretty well-built a few pages ago? Well, that was a very superficial evaluation. The binding, it is AWFUL. Since I own mostly sewn Marvel books and smaller OHCs I've never experienced this kind of gutter loss before. Until I got to the fifth issue of the collection I was losing faces and text balloons to the gutter on almost every spread.

I don't know what to do. Like, I wanted to own this story and make my own decision about it and the book arrived in good shape, but I don't find this build quality to be acceptable and I don't want Marvel to think I will keep blindly buying it.

Conundrum. Perhaps return it and wait for the TPB? But that goes against everything we stand for!

Is anyone else having this much trouble with the gutter?

(Gah, that's what I get for using swipe-typing on the train - but it was important to alert you all ASAP!)
    Last edited by krisis; 11-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Femember when I said the AvX OHC seemed pretty well-built a few pages ago? Well, that was a very superficial evaluation. The binding, it is AWFUL. Since I own mostly sewn Marvek books and smaller OHCs I've never experiences this kind of gutter loss before. Until I got to the fifth issue of the collection I was losing faces and text balloons to the gutter on almost every spread.
    Seriously? Let's hope that' a one-off and not a sign of things to come. But the decrease in paper quality recently and now this? That does not bode well.

500+ pages of glued OHC with gutterloss, on flimsy paper. Damn. Just when DC is about to sort out their binding issues and build quality of OHCs/Omnis, Marvel is heading towards the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Seriously? Let's hope that' a one-off and not a sign of things to come. But the decrease in paper quality recently and now this? That does not bode well.

500+ pages of glued OHC with gutterloss, on flimsy paper. Damn. Just when DC is about to sort out their binding issues and build quality of OHCs/Omnis, Marvel is heading towards the other direction.
    I think it's due to a matter of production time: if I recall correctly sewn-binding books needed about six months to be produced in China, (I read that in this same board), so Marvel needs to have all the pages files ready to send them to print with half a year of anticipation. With classic or a couple of years old material (like every Omnibus) there's no problem with that, they don't have that rush. But with books fresh from the monthly issues like AVX where they need to cash-in fast money with the HC release, they can't go for sewn-binding since they'd need to delay the release for months. Same stuff happened with The Children's Crusade or X-Men Schism, both event books in OHC format that were published less than a month or something after the monthly comics, so they went the glued-binding route. I really don't think this is a sign of things to come for the Omnibus line: suppose we finally get a F4/FF Omnibus by Hickman, that stuff is old enough for Marvel to plan carefully and make a sewn-binding Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_M View Post
    I think it's due to a matter of production time: if I recall correctly sewn-binding books needed about six months to be produced in China, (I read that in this same board), so Marvel needs to have all the pages files ready to send them to print with half a year of anticipation. With classic or a couple of years old material (like every Omnibus) there's no problem with that, they don't have that rush. But with books fresh from the monthly issues like AVX where they need to cash-in fast money with the HC release, they can't go for sewn-binding since they'd need to delay the release for months. Same stuff happened with The Children's Crusade or X-Men Schism, both event books in OHC format that were published less than a month or something after the monthly comics, so they went the glued-binding route. I really don't think this is a sign of things to come for the Omnibus line: suppose we finally get a F4/FF Omnibus by Hickman, that stuff is old enough for Marvel to plan carefully and make a sewn-binding Omnibus.
    Thought of that as well, but I think I read somewhere recently (this thread?) that Marvel has been able to shorten the time to three months. Plus, I also think that the AvX issues had been finished way ahead of their publication.

But if you're right, that would also be a bad sign. What you describe then is a trend that most of us here won't like. Children's Crusade, Schism and AvX are stories that many here prefer to read in oversized form. If Marvel now opts to rush out collections of those stories/events, we will always have to accept lesser build quality if we want to have an OHC of the story.

I don't like the direction of marvel's current books with events like Fear Itself, but AVX does intrigue me... is there a recap page in the OHC?

The paper didn't strike me as being as cheap, overly glossy, and flimsy as the other newer stuff. I have to go side-by-side with one of my newer books.

PS: Yes, definitely printed in the US.
    Last edited by krisis; 11-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Thought of that as well, but I think I read somewhere recently (this thread?) that Marvel has been able to shorten the time to three months. Plus, I also think that the AvX issues had been finished way ahead of their publication.

But if you're right, that would also be a bad sign. What you describe then is a trend that most of us here won't like. Children's Crusade, Schism and AvX are stories that many here prefer to read in oversized form. If Marvel now opts to rush out collections of those stories/events, we will always have to accept lesser build quality if we want to have an OHC of the story.

Yes, you are definitely right about it and it worries/pisses me also. But at least the Omnibus editions shouldn't be in danger of going back to glued-binding. I didn't know they were able to get it in three months now, I really think TPBs should come first, and then HC editions, it really bothers me. HC editions should be more carefully treated. I wouldn't mind at all to wait 6 months or more for a book

Thanks for the feedback on the book krisis, guess I won't be picking it up after all.

Hey guys,

Was talking to my wife about my shrine (yeah, you guessed it, Omnibus and Oversized hardcover collection) the other day, and the shrink-wrapped Amazing Spider-Man omnis (vol 1 and 2, Kirby/Ditko and Romita Sr covers) caught her eye. She obviously asked me why they were still wrapped up (and you guys all know that you don't open something you already read). She asked me why I still kept them around if I had no intention of reading them and what kinda money they would fetch on the open market.

She kinda has a valid point about keeping something you never intend to read (or even open up). I couldn't tell her about value, though, and I hope that's where you guys come in.

They are both shrink-wrapped, 2nd printing (sewn) editions, with no obvious flaws. I've tried Ebay, but couldn't find anything conclusive. What would be a fair asking price? $400 for the pair?

Thanks in advance.

Woke up today to a tweet from Mark Waid that he's doing a signing along with Jim Krueger, at the grand opening of a new comic shop right down the street from me. I grab my Absolute Kingdom Come and Absolute Justice and make my way to the store. (All my Marvel books from these two are floppies and in storage), After I get the signatures, I take a look at the store's hardcover offerings, not expecting much since it just opened.

Apparently they've been stocking inventory for a while, because I walked out with a sealed War Of Kings OHC and an open, but flawless Old Man Logan, both for cover price.

Not a bad day for the comic hardcover addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by JayNil View Post
    Hey guys,

Was talking to my wife about my shrine (yeah, you guessed it, Omnibus and Oversized hardcover collection) the other day, and the shrink-wrapped Amazing Spider-Man omnis (vol 1 and 2, Kirby/Ditko and Romita Sr covers) caught her eye. She obviously asked me why they were still wrapped up (and you guys all know that you don't open something you already read). She asked me why I still kept them around if I had no intention of reading them and what kinda money they would fetch on the open market.

She kinda has a valid point about keeping something you never intend to read (or even open up). I couldn't tell her about value, though, and I hope that's where you guys come in.

They are both shrink-wrapped, 2nd printing (sewn) editions, with no obvious flaws. I've tried Ebay, but couldn't find anything conclusive. What would be a fair asking price? $400 for the pair?

Thanks in advance.
    I can't really help you with the value, but I do think that the whole purpose of collecting HC's is to have the books in a way you can easily read...
    I wouldn't keep anything I wasn't planning on reading again (with the exception of some books I like to have for the cover or sentimental value, but those are all exposed...).

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
    Not sure if you're in the US, but if you are, I'd be interested in that Spidey Vol 1 if you decide to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Remember when I said the AvX OHC seemed pretty well-built a few pages ago? Well, that was a very superficial evaluation. The binding, it is AWFUL. Since I own mostly sewn Marvel books and smaller OHCs I've never experienced this kind of gutter loss before. Until I got to the fifth issue of the collection I was losing faces and text balloons to the gutter on almost every spread.

I don't know what to do. Like, I wanted to own this story and make my own decision about it and the book arrived in good shape, but I don't find this build quality to be acceptable and I don't want Marvel to think I will keep blindly buying it.

Conundrum. Perhaps return it and wait for the TPB? But that goes against everything we stand for!

Is anyone else having this much trouble with the gutter?

(Gah, that's what I get for using swipe-typing on the train - but it was important to alert you all ASAP!)
    That is the exact reason I passed up on the Welcome Back Frank OHC earlier this year. Could've got it for 15 bucks (and saved me a bit of a headache on my upcoming binding project) but the binding was just too awful.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
    400 for the pair might be a bit steep but I don't follow these things closely. I do know the following:

1) In the last 18 months the value of ASM Vol 1 has shot up big time.

2) The second printing is by far the more desirable edition.

3) The Romita cover is definitely the more desirable edition of Vol 2. The regular (Ramos) cover is still in print, the Romita cover sold out almost immediately and seems to fetch the most money.

My advice would be to either sell Vol 1 or wait until Vol 2 is OOP and sell them as a set. I think you could clear 400 then.