Page 430 of 662 FirstFirst ... 330380420426427428429430431432433434440480530 ... LastLast
Results 6,436 to 6,450 of 9926

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Guys, holy crap. Just realized. Someone posted a few pages back Disney is eyeing up Hasbro, right?

Hasbro owns Parker Brothers. Know what this means?

Parker Brothers owns Rom the Spaceknight.

Which means Disney would own Rom.

Which means Marvel could(would?!) have the rights to publish some Rom books. Hopefully some Rom Omnibuses!
    A Romnibus would be awesome! I need those X-Men appearances in oversized hardcover. And let's not forget Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and Forge.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasFanatic View Post
    Anyone got the AVX signed edition from Amazon? It was $98 then on release day became $150.
    I was seriously considering it, but steered away due to amazon's shaky shipping history. I didn't want to pay that much for a book then it arrive all dented and dinged up. If it had been from CGN, IST, etc I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I think it was $107 when I was on the fence about it a few days back. Weird that it jumped so high so quickly.

Sucks to hear that Marvel is using the flimsy cheap paper so frequently now. It really is noticeable compared to the older Omnis, MMWs, and the nicer books like IDW's recent GI Joe OHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Chang View Post
    glued? i thought all marvel oversized are sewn???? wait, this is oversized, right?
    Not all. As I recall, the Spidey: Spider-Island from last year was also glued. However, Marvel made the pages slightly wider to avoid gutter loss problems. So when your Spidey Island is sitting on the shelf next to a sewn binding HC, it's ever so slightly wider.

Guys, holy crap. Just realized. Someone posted a few pages back Disney is eyeing up Hasbro, right?

Hasbro owns Parker Brothers. Know what this means?

Parker Brothers owns Rom the Spaceknight.

Which means Disney would own Rom.

Which means Marvel could(would?!) have the rights to publish some Rom books. Hopefully some Rom Omnibuses!
    I'm sure that's the real reason behind all of these rumored talks. not so they can get G.I. Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and a bunch of other stuff - it's all because up high in the Disney chain there is one guy who is this HUGE ROM geek.

And DrGregatron - real nice usage there - "Romnibus"! I love that!
    Last edited by Rimmer; 11-09-2012 at 05:41 AM.
    "No job is worth your integrity" - Herm Edwards

Hey guys, what's up. Could you do me a little favor? If you have some collections of HC books outside Marvel/DC (and I'm pretty sure you do), could you please post some pictures to this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...9#post16133389 ? Thank you!

Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    A Romnibus would be awesome! I need those X-Men appearances in oversized hardcover. And let's not forget Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and Forge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I'm sure that's the real reason behind all of these rumored talks. not so they can get G.I. Joe, Transformers, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and a bunch of other stuff - it's all because up high in the Disney chain there is one guy who is this HUGE ROM geek.

And DrGregatron - real nice usage there - "Romnibus"! I love that!
    Haha I thought the same thing. Someone is using their power for good!

Formerly GarbageMan

Worked through some more New Avengers and finished House of M last night. How are the House of M ohc tie ins? I know they're more or less self contained, but are they good/fun stories? Also, read the Initiative special in the omnibus about the Hulk...How is the Planet Hulk stuff Pak did? Worth picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    I was seriously considering it, but steered away due to amazon's shaky shipping history. I didn't want to pay that much for a book then it arrive all dented and dinged up. If it had been from CGN, IST, etc I would have bought it in a heartbeat. I think it was $107 when I was on the fence about it a few days back. Weird that it jumped so high so quickly.
    Yeah it jumped to $150! I wonder how many people will flip it and to how much, considering its only 500 copies.

My Omnibus collection is growing frighteningly fast, and I'm looking for a good bookcase to deal with the growing pains! Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality bookcase at a reasonable price? I'll probably need 2 shelves for Omnibuses and OHCs, and a few more for just regular "book" books. I had a BILLY bookcase until recently, but the cheap tacked-on back panel was a bit of a dealbreaker. I've seen some nice set-ups in pictures you all have posted on here, so thought it might be a good place to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by bkart1978 View Post
    My Omnibus collection is growing frighteningly fast, and I'm looking for a good bookcase to deal with the growing pains! Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality bookcase at a reasonable price? I'll probably need 2 shelves for Omnibuses and OHCs, and a few more for just regular "book" books. I had a BILLY bookcase until recently, but the cheap tacked-on back panel was a bit of a dealbreaker. I've seen some nice set-ups in pictures you all have posted on here, so thought it might be a good place to ask!
    For a reasonable price, I recommend the Ikea Expedit. There is a picture of mine on page 4 of this thread. The vertical slots act as supports for the horizontal shelves, which is normally an issue for books as heavy as omnibuses. I know several people in the thread use them.

Regarding the G.I. Joe collection(s)... does anyone have a sense for how far they might purchase them? Basically, when did the series begin to lose its luster?

I am planning on doing a re-read of the floppies, as I've got #1-#140 or so (a few after that, but plugging the holes has gotten very expensive) and all of Special Missions. Unfortunately, I've never read more than #1-#10 and around #50-#100. I've seen a few people referring to things being great until around issue #50, so that would put the best material in the collections volumes 1-4 or maybe 5.

Special Missions started around issue #50 and seemed to be Hama's opportunity to get back to the types of stories that he'd told in the early issues of the regular series. I don't really recall how well that worked out though, as I assume some of the zanier character/vehicles eventually had to appear.
    Reviews, Adventures, Advice, and Creative Works:

http://www.studioremarkable.com/

Quote Originally Posted by studioremark View Post
    Regarding the G.I. Joe collection(s)... does anyone have a sense for how far they might purchase them? Basically, when did the series begin to lose its luster?

I am planning on doing a re-read of the floppies, as I've got #1-#140 or so (a few after that, but plugging the holes has gotten very expensive) and all of Special Missions. Unfortunately, I've never read more than #1-#10 and around #50-#100. I've seen a few people referring to things being great until around issue #50, so that would put the best material in the collections volumes 1-4 or maybe 5.

Special Missions started around issue #50 and seemed to be Hama's opportunity to get back to the types of stories that he'd told in the early issues of the regular series. I don't really recall how well that worked out though, as I assume some of the zanier character/vehicles eventually had to appear.
    I don't have any of the floppies anymore, so I don't remember issue #s, but I believe issue 50 is where they try to takeover Cobra Island, and fail, as it's deemed a sovereign nation by the UN or something like that. That was still good. And yeah, you got the Corsican Brothers (Tomax & Xamot) and Zartan and Serpentor, and weird crazy stuff like that, but it was still fun. once they headed farther down the line of craziness (Croc Master? Seriously?) was when I quit reading them. They also started to get more 'ninja' and focus on Snake Eyes A LOT, who was never anywhere near my favorite character - I couldn't stand all that ninja crap. But quitting G.I.JOE also coincided with me heading to high school and pretty much quitting all comics because it "wasn't cool" because I was a stupid kid who cared what my peers thought.

Basically, I'm going to keep getting them until they turn really stupid. I'm not going to be a completist on this run of books, but at least the first 5 or so volumes will be totally kick@$$ and ones that I'll read over and over and over. Hope that helps...
    "No job is worth your integrity" - Herm Edwards

Worked through some more New Avengers and finished House of M last night. How are the House of M ohc tie ins? I know they're more or less self contained, but are they good/fun stories? Also, read the Initiative special in the omnibus about the Hulk...How is the Planet Hulk stuff Pak did? Worth picking up?
    Planet Hulk is amazing. Wonderful piece of Hulk work and one of the few Hulk "graphic novels" (as much as I despise the term).

Hmmm. Interesting. I didn't notice I was losing interest in the series until recently, a bit after #100. If I went back, maybe I'd find it started sooner than that, but I continued to buy the trades through vol. 12 (so first 120 issues). After reading 11 & 12 I found myself less interested in finishing the series and took #'s 13 & 14 out from the local public library. I couldn't even read through these volumes, skimmed them best I could before returning them . . . so yea, maybe it does lose a bit of it's edge along the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting. I didn't notice I was losing interest in the series until recently, a bit after #100. If I went back, maybe I'd find it started sooner than that, but I continued to buy the trades through vol. 12 (so first 120 issues). After reading 11 & 12 I found myself less interested in finishing the series and took #'s 13 & 14 out from the local public library. I couldn't even read through these volumes, skimmed them best I could before returning them . . . so yea, maybe it does lose a bit of it's edge along the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I don't have any of the floppies anymore, so I don't remember issue #s, but I believe issue 50 is where they try to takeover Cobra Island, and fail, as it's deemed a sovereign nation by the UN or something like that. That was still good. And yeah, you got the Corsican Brothers (Tomax & Xamot) and Zartan and Serpentor, and weird crazy stuff like that, but it was still fun. once they headed farther down the line of craziness (Croc Master? Seriously?) was when I quit reading them. They also started to get more 'ninja' and focus on Snake Eyes A LOT, who was never anywhere near my favorite character - I couldn't stand all that ninja crap. But quitting G.I.JOE also coincided with me heading to high school and pretty much quitting all comics because it "wasn't cool" because I was a stupid kid who cared what my peers thought.

Basically, I'm going to keep getting them until they turn really stupid. I'm not going to be a completist on this run of books, but at least the first 5 or so volumes will be totally kick@$$ and ones that I'll read over and over and over. Hope that helps...

Longtime Joe reader here, so let me offer my thoughts. I first started reading the series with ish 48 (summer 1986) where Zartan breaks into the pit and collected the series off and on all the way through the early #100s. I remember in 5th grade saving my allowance for a whole month in order to have enough cash to buy the very expensive (then $15) first issue. The second issue, with low print run, was out of my elementary school price range for years! :)

About 10-12 years ago just as the 80s nostalgia boom was starting, I was able to pick up all the missing back issues "relatively cheaply" to fill gaps in my collection & complete the entire Marvel run. The last 5-10 issues of the series were hard to track down, and I did have to pay a hefty price to grab the last issue. But I'm glad I did it! I passed on that mother when it was on the spinner racks at a waldenbooks book store back in the day ("eh, I don't need that. It's a kids comic for crying out loud & I'm a high schooler now) and regretted it ever since. LOL

Anyways the first couple years' worth of stores are great, and build up pretty much all you need to know about the Joes & Cobra. Each issues (pretty much) was a "done in one" story with subplots than ran along for several months at a time.

Personally though for me, the book is at its best from #26 to around #65 or so. In that range you get Storm Shadow & Snake Eye's origin, Destro tracking down and destroying Snake Eyes cabin in the mountains, 1st timber the wolf, Snake Eyes & SS teaming up to take on Cobra, the origin of Serpentor, the Joes invading Springfield & the launch of Special Missions, the destruction of the 1st pit headquarters, the Dreadnoks, Destro & Cobra Commander trapped inside the collapsed pit base trying to escape & on the run in their civilian identities, Cobra Island, plus the "death" of the original CC and 1st appearance of Fred VII the replacement CC. Good stuff all around.

It was during this time period that GI Joe was actually one of (and at times the #1) top selling Marvel comic book. In fact, GI Joe, along with UXM and Amazing Spidey, was one of Marvel's first books to go bi-monthly during the summer months, as I recall.

After that, in the late #60s, things started to tail off for a bit. You had the Cobra civil war (CC vs. Serpentor for control of Cobra Island), the Pit II, the intro of Battle Force 2000, Zartan's origin & tie in to the Arashikage clan, the return of the original GI Joe, Joe Colton, the GI Joe 25th anniversary issue, and the intro of Road Pig. Things picked back up in the #90s with the very well done "Snake Eyes trilogy". SE face is revealed for the first time and he gets plastic surgery. Then the lead up to #100 & the return of the original CC.

Of course there are good stories all throughout the run, so don't let my synopsis sway your opinion. Read the books and find out what you like best! Personally in the 110s-130s the book became way too ninja focused and Marvel tried to make the book look "cool" and "Image-like" so you had artists coming on board putting their own unique 1990s "kewl" stamp on the characters, trying to make all the female characters look & act like the X-Ladies, which in re-reading is really annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitariks View Post
    Hey guys, what's up. Could you do me a little favor? If you have some collections of HC books outside Marvel/DC (and I'm pretty sure you do), could you please post some pictures to this thread: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...9#post16133389 ? Thank you!
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...cussion/page75