Default Music Documentaries

I've seen Bob Dylan: No Direction Home and The Devil and Daniel Johnston about 5000 times each, and I look for lots of music documentaries. Mainly about bands I like and stuff like that. I've never seen any as good as those two though. I was wondering if anyone out there has seen some great documentaries about The Beatles or Brian Wilson. I look for them but it's always a bunch of people talking about stuff that happened and the people who where actually there aren't in the movie, or they legally can't play the music in the movie or some stupid stuff like that. Anyone have any really fantastic music documetnaries you've seen? Could be about anyone, I was just usuing Beatles/Beach Boys as an example.

Sex Pistols: The Filth and the Fury and Ramones: End of the Century are great too.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

For the Beatles, there are two options.

For a quick fix that you can watch in one sitting (about two hours), THE COMPLEAT BEATLES from 1982 is a good, entertaining, and informative summary of the band's career.

A more thorough treatment is the DVD box set BEATLES ANTHOLOGY, in which the Fabs tell their own story.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

You might enjoy Dig!, featuring one of the most underrated/unknown great bands on Earth: The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I'd also recommend Theremin: An Electric Odyssey.

Other than that, Gimme Shelter probably reigns as one of my favorites.

Amazing Journey: The Story of the Who and The Kids Are Alright are great individually but they're amazing when watched back to back as the latter celebrates the Who, while the former is a far more thorough summation of the band up to a few years ago.

Oil City Confidential is a brilliant doc about one of the great overlooked bands from the 1970s, Dr Feelgood.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I really liked Martin Scorsese's documentary "George Harrison: Living in the Material World". But I've always been a George fan.

This Is Spinal Tap! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Beetle View Post
    Sex Pistols: The Filth and the Fury
    Splendid documentary and one of the few that actually manages to realistically capture what Britain was actually like in the 70's and has become a template for virtually every documentary about punk and the 70's that followed. The rest of Julien Temple's music documentaries are excellent too, with Glastonbury and his Joe Strummer film being exceptional highlights.

As for other music documentaries, BBC 4 regularly run lots of them, including as part of their irregular Britannia series. So, here's a few to check out.

Punk Britannia.

Synth Britannia.

Reggae Britannia.

Festivals Britannia.

There's loads more too, but I can't remember what else they've done.

Venomous Female Tish-the-Scorpion's Avatar

look up electric purgatory on youtube, it's a documentary about how modern black rock musicians can't break through to the mainstream.
    Okay, before this thread this is what I knew about Tish, zip, zero, nada.
    I now know that Tish is a heavily armed, black, bi-sexual, truck driving woman who likes going to the clubs.
    I don't think I learned this much about Tom in six months let alone one post. - Boldido

I'm begining to like Tish more and more, that's what I know. - cable guy

"We were forced to build America, and if forced to, we will tear it down." Huey P. Newton

Beats, Rhyme, and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest is my favorite of recent vintage, but there's a lot of great choices already in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tish-the-Scorpion View Post
    look up electric purgatory on youtube, it's a documentary about how modern black rock musicians can't break through to the mainstream.
    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Beats, Rhyme, and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest is my favorite of recent vintage, but there's a lot of great choices already in the thread.
    all of the above are great recommendations...the former infuriated me, and depressed me, the latter made a tear fall from my eye. i would also recommend Tupac Resurrection. surprisingly moving and ultra depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy
    is it just me, or is this forum very homosexual? Seems like it's just the norm for people here to be homosexuals. Seriously, was this community founded for that purpose? If so, I'm just dense or something cause I never read anything stating that when I signed up.
    LMAO!

http://myspace.com/urban_prince