Default Collecting suggestions (for a Grant Morrison Doom Patrol fan)

I am a comic book unusual reader, I guess.
    I read avidly comics for some years but I admit that I do not have an historical preparation or a personal data base.
    So I need Your help. My best read in comic books has been the Grant Morrison Doom Patrol story arc.
    I read and re-read those comics.
    I am asking for suggestions. Which comics can, someway remind, reflect Grant Morrison DP?
    I loved the freedom of that comic book.
    I will appreciate suggestion also for other styles, writers.
    thank You

Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way (yes, the My Chemical Romance guy) and Gabriel Ba is the closest thing I can think of as a Morrison Doom Patrol spiritual successor. It follows a class of super-powered school children years later, when they're broken, bitter thirty-somethings.

Morrison's own work has been more mainstream in the past few years, focusing on the likes of Superman and Batman. That said, his creator-owned works have a lot of overlap with his early Vertigo stuff, especially Seaguy (art by Cameron Stewart, follows a wannabe superhero in a world completely controlled by a Disney-style megacorp) and the Filth (think "MIB" with much stranger cases, like giant carnivorous semen).

Within the franchise superhero genre I'd recommend Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender and various artists, which has a team of mutants led by Wolverine assassinating mutant kind's greatest threats. It picks up on some concepts from Morrison's own X-Men work (also recommended), while adding some really bizarre twists of its own.

And if you're interested in the "emotionally and physically broken" superhero genre, my own comic, Ruby Nation, might be of interest...

Thank You so much for the kind reply. Will check both Umbrella Academy and Your own Ruby Nation!

Thanks! I'd also recommend Mike Mignola's Hellboy and B.P.R.D., one of the rare cases where a creator has been able to make a profitable shared universe under his control, and a great mix of different genre and history tropes. And Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday, which involves archeologists of the science fiction genre, uncovering various mysteries and fighting against those who would keep such knowledge from the public.

Umbrella Academy is a good suggestion

Also:
    Milligan&Allred's X-Force/X-Statix
    Azzarello&Chiang's Dr 13
    Morrison's Animal Man
    Flex Mentallo
    Elektra Assassin

Cool exec, heart of steel BillR's Avatar

I second the recommendations for Flex Mentallo (technically a Doom Patrol spinoff), Seaguy, The Filth, Umbrella Academy, and if you're looking for new comics coming out, Dial H from DC, written by China Mieville, feels very close to Doom Patrol.

Flex Mentallo & Elektra Assassin, Seaguy read and appreciated!
    Concerning Hellboy, I read and much appreciated the first story arcs and also appreciated the movies. Should complete the read.
    The Filth I own the TPB but not yet read.
    I am collecting X force & X statix, as soon as I will complete the collection I will read it
    Dr13, Dial H, Planetary & Umbrella are for me totally new names I will do my best to try and read all of them.
    Thank You guys I really appreciated.

If you want another complex comic book that is intellectually dense but also spiritually and emotionally compelling, that plays fast and loose with narrative and extends into multiple genres, and that contains hundreds of references to art, science, history, philosophy, magic, et cetera, surely you need to read Grant Morrison's The Invisibles, Alan Moore's Promethea and Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.

Loving Dial H.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Kinda old news, but John Rozum's Xombi was called the 'spiritual successor' to it during it's 1994-1996 run. It was a Milestone book; featuring a medical researcher, David Kim, being killed in some mysterious supernatural sabotage and then resurrected by the nanotech he'd been working on. Now, David can regenerate from any injury done to him. Illness is also now impossible. And he's been returned to his physical prime, where he will stay, theoretically forever. Also, his eyesight's 20/20 again, he doesn't need to bathe or use deoderant, doesn't need to brush or floss, his past cavaties have been restored, the works; doesn't even need to go to the bathroom. Although, if he's wounded, don't get near him, or you're in for a potentially fatal surprise (David needs raw matter to rebuild, and if it comes from you, it makes no nevermind to the nanotech). With the help of a small group of experts to varying degrees on 'the weird'-- such as Catholic Church sanctioned superhumans Catholic Girl & Nun Of The Above-- David reluctantly explores his new circumstances. He & his new compatriots run across such sorts as Dr Sugarman, a mad scientist who'd make the Human Centipede guy wince; the Beli Mah, a cult dedicated to bringing unvarnished truth to the world by any means they see fit; and the Rustling Husks, homonculi created by harnessing the angry spirits of insects who died never getting out of the home they became trapped in.

The first run at Milestone-- with art by JJ Birch & Denys Cowan-- sold poorly, but attracted the respect of the likes of Harlan Ellison and Alan Moore. DC brought it back briefly prior to the new 52 with art this time around by Frazier Irving. It too was sadly done in by anemic sales, though unlike the 90's run, it recieved a trade paperback.
    Last edited by The Beast Of Yucca Flats; 03-23-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Another awesome book in the same triply, sophisticated vein; Sweet Tooth, written and drawn by Jeff Lemire. A little boy with antlers is left to wander a post-apocalyptic world after his fundamentalist hermit father dies.