Default Is it worth buying a restored CGC graded Marvel tales annual?

THis is the one with the reprint of the origins of spiderman in it(amazing fantasy 15). This person has an 8.0 graded restored copy...is it worth $100 or better off getting a lower grade non graded and non restored one?

I would say a restored book is worth about the same as an unrestored book in half the grade. For example, I'd say that 8.0 would be worth what a CGC 4.0 Blue Label would be. Depending on what the restoration is at least. I'm not sure what that particular book is worth though. I would just search some completed listings on ebay for comparison.
    HeroUp.com Squad: Teal Spider Mime
    Signature Hero: Spider-Man
    Squad Level: 640+

My Comic Collection

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigFeathas View Post
    I would say a restored book is worth about the same as an unrestored book in half the grade. For example, I'd say that 8.0 would be worth what a CGC 4.0 Blue Label would be. Depending on what the restoration is at least. I'm not sure what that particular book is worth though. I would just search some completed listings on ebay for comparison.
    Hey thanks for the help. See I did do that and a good to very good copy of the marvel tales annual sold for around $20-$40 non graded. There's a 5.0 CGC on ebay I think selling around $50 and the restored one which had the mint looking cover glued back on to the spine, selling for $100

anyone else have any input? Anyone know of a good forum with fellow comic collectors who buy and sell on there?

CGC is a crock unless you are getting Silver Age or key issues graded. Getting a Marvel Tales CGC'd is almost funny.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Marvel Tales Annual One seems to be the first issue of the Marvel Tales reprint series.

It's notable as a first issue, and comes from 1964, but it consists entirely of reprints.

Whether it's worth $100 is up to you. Do you want a reprint collection from 1964?

Mile High Comics seems to be charging more for it, although that's before you consider discounts. It seems to me they do a lot of sales, so I'd take their full price with a grain of salt.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I didn't even know there was a Marvel Tales Annual.

I've been mistakenly picturing the Strange Tales Annual #2 in my head the whole thread....

The only reprint I think that would be worth getting CGC would be the Amazing Spider-Man #1, Golden record Reprint. Mainly because those reprints are almost as old as the original. I think CGC is only good for gettign older comics graded, or maybe a key issue like Amazing #300, Hulk #181 etc etc
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Hey guys, thanks for the replies....sorry i didn't see there were any responses but I was eyeing these 2 up
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1287
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Tales...#ht_500wt_1054

but which is the better buy or should I just wait for a better copy to come along?

CGC is a weird thing. I've been told it is pointless to buy anything CGC under an 8. You should really look around a lot.

Check out Mycomicshop.com. If memory serves me correctly they list CGC grades of certain comics. You can see a chart that shows you how many people have the same issue at the same grade. Like I know that I'm one of like 200 people that has a 9.0 Amazing Spider-Man 121.

Personally, the whole CGC thing is odd to me. I have a few issues, but it annoys me buying back issues. I like to read them, and in the CGC form you can't read them very well.

Oh, and while Marvel Tales is a famous book, I'd never buy a CGC book of Marvel Tales.
    Last edited by Chris S.; 07-14-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

I worked for a major shop that dealt with CGC a lot up until about a month ago, restored copies are worth the amount that they would originally grade at so buy at your discretion. I'm not being anonymous lying internet-guy either, I found the whole thing to be kind of silly.
    Comics are more better.

Whats the point in owning a reprint unless its to read? If you just want to read those stories, there are plenty of other modern reprint options like Essentials, Masterworks and omnibus which can provide the same material (though i dont know what exactly is in the issue youre talking about).

Quote Originally Posted by CromagnonMan View Post
    Whats the point in owning a reprint unless its to read? If you just want to read those stories, there are plenty of other modern reprint options like Essentials, Masterworks and omnibus which can provide the same material (though i dont know what exactly is in the issue youre talking about).
    I agree. And Marvel just published a recolored reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15 to boot. But in the end, a collector wants what a collector wants. The book is worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it. So rdfnd1253, if you have your heart set on having MTA#1, then buy it once you find a deal you like and can live with. Just be aware, you will be unlikely to get all your money back out of it should you decide to sell it at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by the Dagman View Post
    I agree. And Marvel just published a recolored reprint of Amazing Fantasy #15 to boot. But in the end, a collector wants what a collector wants. The book is worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it. So rdfnd1253, if you have your heart set on having MTA#1, then buy it once you find a deal you like and can live with. Just be aware, you will be unlikely to get all your money back out of it should you decide to sell it at a later date.
    I don't know why people always say that you won't be able to get your money back. Comics have traditionally gone up in value since the 60s. About the only comics that don't gain money are modern comics that end up in the dollar bin a year later.

If you have your heart set on this book buy it. Just be aware, it may be tricky to sell it in the future. However, you will probably make money if you hold onto it for 10+ years.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

THanks everyone for their opinions. I passed on it but found a amazing spiderman 1 1966 golden record comic in fine shape at my local comic book shop for around $250 and bought it. I am happier with this purchase=)