Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Before Watchmen" Launches Big In June While "AvX" Stands Tall

Marvel's "AvX" remains a huge seller in June for the publisher while continuing controversy around "Before Watchmen" doesn't hurt the minis' first issue sales with all four landing in the top ten.

Full article here.

Two blatant cash grabs making money?
    The hell you say!

I'm a DC person, but it's nice to see the top ten not being all just one company. Hopefully the competition will cause the big 2 to pump out some great comics, and not rest on their laurels.

I'm wondering if the success of Before Watchmen will lead to the eventual Superman/Dr Manhattan crossover, or Batman/Rorsharch?

Oh, what am I saying, of COURSE it will.

Not buying either AVX or Before Watchmen.

But not surprised the usual hyped shite is selling the most.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

AvsX has just been damn annoying and really doesn't need to be 12 issues.

Before Watchmen has been pretty okay though, but as books really something that doesn't need to exist.

It'll be neat if one day the top ten list is truly representative of the best the comic industry can offer, instead of cash-grabs and "events." But I guess most things work this way?
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Before Watchmen actually staying in those spots is a question that interests me a bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Before Watchmen actually staying in those spots is a question that interests me a bit more...
    I agree, will they continue to offer AvX some competition, or will they slowly sink into obscurity...
    It may be small but it shoots quick!

Quote Originally Posted by thc-1138 View Post
    I agree, will they continue to offer AvX some competition, or will they slowly sink into obscurity...
    Pretty sure it's a no-brainer they'll stick around. Even as a Marvel Zombie, I'm honestly kind of surprised AvX managed to beat them out.

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Pretty sure it's a no-brainer they'll stick around. Even as a Marvel Zombie, I'm honestly kind of surprised AvX managed to beat them out.
    Never underestimate how powerful controversy can be, even manufactured controversy such as the DC stuff for Before Watchmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Never underestimate how powerful controversy can be, even manufactured controversy such as the DC stuff for Before Watchmen.
    I think this one falls in the realm of "no such thing as bad publicity."

I'm not normally one to subscribe to that concept, but I think it's applicable here. There's probably a lot more people liable to pick it up and check it out because of the controversy than likely to ignore it because of said controversy.

Watchmen is pretty much the most critically acclaimed comic book story of all time, a sequel of any sort, regardless of creator outcry, is going to be a cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    I'm wondering if the success of Before Watchmen will lead to the eventual Superman/Dr Manhattan crossover, or Batman/Rorsharch?
    Nite-Owl joins Batman Incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post

Me too.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

I think the Cooke books will stay strong, and maybe the Azzarello ones.
    The reviews I have read for Ozymandias states it is a pretty book, but reads like shit.
    The JMS Nite Owl one has reviews that are pretty hilarious in how a professional writer can miss the point of a book so roundly and consistently.

Wow I'm actually a bit shocked that Before Watchmen were so low in the top ten. I really thought that Minutemen would be #1 and the others would be higher too. Considering the fairly muted reaction to those first issues, I'd now wager that we'll see a pretty significant drop-off for further installments.