Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

The first Spiderman comic I ever got was Return of the Sinister Six (the one that came right before aforementioned Revenge). I though (and still think) that the art was really impressive and cinematic and was used well to tell the story. Giving Doc Ock the white suit I think was really necessary in updating his image.
    Empty winds scrape on the soul never stop to realize/Animal whisperings intoxicate the night
    Hypnotize the desperate slow motionlight/Wash away into the rain
    Blood, milk and sky....

So far, my only extended exposure to Erik Larsen's artwork was from several issues of Doom Patrol that came just before the legendary Morrison run. At the time, I hated Larsen's artwork. It seemed garish and crude, compared to preceding artist Steve Lightle's more normal renderings. I finally got around to re-reading those Doom Patrol issues recently, and I appreciated Larsen's artwork more this time around. It was still garish and crude in some respects, but also dynamic and stylized. Over the years, I gradually realized that artwork doesn't need to be realistic to be good, and Larsen's artwork is good. I have heard good things about Savage Dragon over the years, so maybe I will finally overcome my revulsion for all things Image and give it a try.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    The first Spiderman comic I ever got was Return of the Sinister Six (the one that came right before aforementioned Revenge). I though (and still think) that the art was really impressive and cinematic and was used well to tell the story. Giving Doc Ock the white suit I think was really necessary in updating his image.
    Larsen drew my favorite interpetation of Doc Ock--that bastard was one cool customer!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I have heard good things about Savage Dragon over the years, so maybe I will finally overcome my revulsion for all things Image and give it a try.
    Sorta curious about this statement. Do you mean the early Image when their books were basically the same as your standard Marvel superhero comic with even less substance, or Image as it stands today, where it's the leading publisher of creator-owned books? I didn't have much use for Image in its earliest years, either, but since Valentino's tenure as Image E-i-C, the company has pushed in new directions and put out a great deal of outstanding work, something that Larsen and Eric Stephenson have continued.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Sorta curious about this statement.
    Seconded. It sort of feels like saying "my revulsion for Random House" or whatever. Image publishes books from different genres, different styles, different lengths... I would bet that they've published something that'll suit anyone's tastes.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Sorta curious about this statement. Do you mean the early Image when their books were basically the same as your standard Marvel superhero comic with even less substance, or Image as it stands today, where it's the leading publisher of creator-owned books? I didn't have much use for Image in its earliest years, either, but since Valentino's tenure as Image E-i-C, the company has pushed in new directions and put out a great deal of outstanding work, something that Larsen and Eric Stephenson have continued.
    I'm not opposed to non-DC, non-Marvel comics in general, but Image made a bad impression on me right away, with an obvious emphasis on artwork over story. To make matters worse, that artwork tended to offend my eyes with exaggerated and questionable anatomy. But prompted by the two previous posts in this thread, I looked over the wikipedia list of Image comics to see if there was anything from Image that I tried and liked. There were a few things:

1. Kabuki
    2. Rex Mundi
    3. Astro City
    4. Comic Book Tattoo (got it for my girlfriend, who loved it)

I'm not opposed to non-DC, non-Marvel comics in general, but Image made a bad impression on me right away, with an obvious emphasis on artwork over story. To make matters worse, that artwork tended to offend my eyes with exaggerated and questionable anatomy. But prompted by the two previous posts in this thread, I looked over the wikipedia list of Image comics to see if there was anything from Image that I tried and liked. There were a few things:

1. Kabuki
    2. Rex Mundi
    3. Astro City
    I saw you like Mage in the other thread, the second series was published by Image. Didn't like it or never got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy D View Post
    I saw you like Mage in the other thread, the second series was published by Image. Didn't like it or never got it?
    Good question. I really, really wanted to like the second Mage series, but there was something off about it. I can't quite put my finger on it. I gave up a couple of issues before the end, and never felt the urge to pick those issues up later. I re-read that (partial) run last year after re-reading the first Mage series, and again I felt that some crucial element was lacking.

1. Kabuki
    2. Rex Mundi
    3. Astro City
    Oh, okay. I'd just like to point out that the Image line these days is far more along the lines of those books than Spawn, WildCATS, or their early derivative crap, and there's no house art styles anymore.

1. Kabuki
    2. Rex Mundi
    3. Astro City
    Things have really changed with that company since its founding. Lots of quality stuff.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Quote Originally Posted by GRANT! View Post
    it never fails to be boring.
    I don't think you said what you meant to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    You mean SAVAGE DRAGON? There's lot of trades of SAVAGE DRAGON.

kdb
    Are they numbered and easy to follow? I haven't read his book at all either, but like him well enough when he pops up in in G-Man and the Superman/Savage Dragon cross over by Larsen and Kessel and other such spots to at least check out vol. 1 if it's easy to spot.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

I admire Erik for his commitment on staying with The Savage Dragon which is probably along with Spawn as Image's longest running title but not a fan of his artwork, as others have said back in the 90's he just seemed like another McFarlane clone.

I admit i extremely disliked, maybe hated, Image in the beginning. I rediscovered it and now am in love with them.
    Forgive me, we all have our family quibbles that last 20 years or so.

How often does spawn come out?

Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I admit i extremely disliked, maybe hated, Image in the beginning. I rediscovered it and now am in love with them.
    Forgive me, we all have our family quibbles that last 20 years or so.

How often does spawn come out?
    I think Spawn still comes out monthly, last I saw the most recent covers were an homage to The Dark Knight Returns covers of 1986.

I'm not much of a Larsen fan and thus haven't read his more recent material - but his 1990s work had a vitality, an energy and a simplicity that was quite unusual.

I can see why some would dislike his stylisation (and it was a bit clumsy during some of his early work) but it's a coherent, punchy artistic voice.
    www.writeups.org - the biggest, bestest character profiles site for comics and movies. Now 5000+ entries.

Current fav entry - Static (Virgil Hawkins)