Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judomaster View Post
    no one person could get through the job without becoming sexually confused.
    The early '70s now starts to make a little more sense ...
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I have to vote against including Don Heck - I think his artwork on the early Avengers is usually fine and often much better than that, even though I gather he wasn't ever keen on the whole superhero genre.
    Yeah, if it's comics everyone hates, Don Heck gets a pass as there are plenty of people who like his work, including my good self and most of those in the circles in which I move.

If no-one's beaten me to it, please pull Kanigher's Wonder Woman run out of the fires of Hell. If I ever get around to reading 'The Dingbats of Danger Street' I may get back to you on that as well.

I'd go so far as to say that you'll get consensus on absolutely nothing. I'd bet you a Kit-Kat that there is someone, somewhere, who likes Charlton's romance comics and Submarine Attack.

I have to vote against including Don Heck - I think his artwork on the early Avengers is usually fine and often much better than that, even though I gather he wasn't ever keen on the whole superhero genre.

Don't know the others you mention.
    I second the love for Don Heck. He was my definitive Avengers artist in my early days ( kooky Quartet). I rate him even with John Buscema, Jack Kirby and Neal Adams for Artistic Greatness concerning the Assemblers.
    Life is what you make it.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    How about that issue where Spawn meets Cerebus and all the Marvel and DC characters tel the how great they are because they're creators didn't sell out?
    Hey, i liked it! Especially the depressed Superman sitting in his jail cell, muttering "...doomsday..." I didn't see the book as a condemnation of creators who do work for hire, but a bemoaning of the sad fate that expects characters owned not by their creators, but by big corporations.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by T GUy View Post
    Yeah, if it's comics everyone hates, Don Heck gets a pass as there are plenty of people who like his work, including my good self and most of those in the circles in which I move.

If no-one's beaten me to it, please pull Kanigher's Wonder Woman run out of the fires of Hell. If I ever get around to reading 'The Dingbats of Danger Street' I may get back to you on that as well.

I'd go so far as to say that you'll get consensus on absolutely nothing. I'd bet you a Kit-Kat that there is someone, somewhere, who likes Charlton's romance comics and Submarine Attack.
    Which is why this thread pretty quickly became indistinguishable from the "Comics You Hate" one.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I second the love for Don Heck. He was my definitive Avengers artist in my early days ( kooky Quartet). I rate him even with John Buscema, Jack Kirby and Neal Adams for Artistic Greatness concerning the Assemblers.
    My appreciation has grown as I've gotten older and I find I like it more the more I see of it. One thing that helped was seeing some of Heck's illustration work outside the superhero genre - exactly what or where I can't recall right now - being very imprssed with it, and then being able to spot some of the same qualities in his Avengers.

My appreciation has grown as I've gotten older and I find I like it more the more I see of it. One thing that helped was seeing some of Heck's illustration work outside the superhero genre - exactly what or where I can't recall right now - being very imprssed with it, and then being able to spot some of the same qualities in his Avengers.
    For me, it was his work as seen in western & romance reprints.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I'd bet you a Kit-Kat that there is someone, somewhere, who likes Charlton's romance comics
    Not that long ago someone here posted about coming into possession of (IIRC) a water-damaged pile of such & sitting down & reading a few, at which point he found out that they were pretty fun.

-- Reptisaurus!

I'd bet you a Kit-Kat that there is someone, somewhere, who likes Charlton's romance comics and Submarine Attack.
    Whoo!

Those stakes are running a bit to high for me and my wallet!

More of a Double-Bubble or Gummy Worm level wager myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Not that long ago someone here posted about coming into possession of (IIRC) a water-damaged pile of such & sitting down & reading a few, at which point he found out that they were pretty fun.

That would be me. I prefer DC and Marvel romance -- in that order -- but the Charlton ones can be just unhinged enough to be entertaining. They are certainly less formulaic than the romance titles from the Big Two.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Back in the 90s, there was a Doom comic. No, not Dr. Doom. Doom the video game.

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/

Among other horrible lines:
    "You are huge. That means you have huge guts."
    "Rip and tear!!"
    "Now I'm radioactive. That can't be good."
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Back in the 90s, there was a Doom comic.
    and it was one of the greatest comics ever!
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    and it was one of the greatest comics ever!
    It's true. Pure poetry. Like beatniks off to war.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo