Default Wild Women of Wunderberg

Wonder Woman's story is very much rooted in the ancient wild woman myths from all over the world.

The wild woman, like Wondy, is from a world that is much older than Man's World or consensus civilization (cities, villages, etc). When we run away with her or are carried away by her, we find ourselves in a place where the morality of civilization is challenged with the savagely cruel laws of nature and the rules of pure love and the compassionate heart. The wild woman's world is a place, where our wounds, physical and emotional, are mysteriously healed, ..as if by a Purple Ray.

I think our response to Wonder Woman is more primal than most of us know.

This wild woman myth is from Germany. Enjoy.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/tfm/tfm084.htm
    Last edited by MelDyer; 07-05-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

What is this?

Hopefully, it's the beginning of a better understanding of our love for characters like Wonder Woman, Xena, Tiger Girl, Sheena and the rest.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Wonder Woman's story is very much rooted in the ancient wild woman myths from all over the world.

The wild woman, like Wondy, is from a world that is much older than Man's World or consensus civilization (cities, villages, etc). When we run away with her or are carried away by her, we find ourselves in a place where the morality of civilization is challenged with the savagely cruel laws of nature and the rules of pure love and the compassionate heart. The wild woman's world is a place, where our wounds, physical and emotional, are mysteriously healed, ..as if by a Purple Ray.

I think our response to Wonder Woman is more primal than most of us know.

This wild woman myth is from Germany. Enjoy.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/tfm/tfm084.htm
    Interesting. A tribe of Christian Amazons, who occasionally venture out into the surrounding countryside to pray, help with the harvest, or preach marital fidelity and forgiveness.

I've always been fascinated by the myths of Calafia, the namesake of California, which was also said to be a mysterious island inhabited by Amazons "robust of body with strong passionate hearts and great virtue", and who dwelt in a land that combined mechanical wonders, magic, and military might. This is chivalric romance, of course, so the Amazon queen is defeated and marries a Christian, but continues to rule over her people and is respected as an equal and a warrior.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Interesting. A tribe of Christian Amazons, who occasionally venture out into the surrounding countryside to pray, help with the harvest, or preach marital fidelity and forgiveness...myths of Calafia, the namesake of California, which was also said to be a mysterious island inhabited by Amazons "robust of body with strong passionate hearts and great virtue", and who dwelt in a land that combined mechanical wonders, magic, and military might...
    Thank you for sharing that, SG. I'm always amused to hear about these ancient myths and folklore upon which so many comic book heroes are inspired.

Christian Amazons! I'd love to see a story about Zauriel taking up with them, after being injured in some cosmic battle.