Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Dave Stewart has posted a teaser for The Play:
    I'm not normally into prints but if one of this were to be made available I'd seriously consider buying it. That poster looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm not normally into prints but if one of this were to be made available I'd seriously consider buying it. That poster looks awesome.
    x2
    i don't usually buy prints either, but this one would look classy pretty much anywhere with a black wood frame!

At six pages, it's a rather large preview, but here it is. Haven't looked at it myself. http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...orsefirsts.htm

This may have been the best Baltimore story since the novel, Baltimore was only in it for like three pages but honestly that's how I like it.

This may have been the best Baltimore story since the novel, Baltimore was only in it for like three pages but honestly that's how I like it.
    I felt the opposite. It never really grabbed me. The whole Poe head thing seemed like a cross between Futurama and The Amazing Screw-On Head. It felt like Mike had this Muse idea for a story and shoehorned it into a Baltimore book, even though it didn't really fit.

I don't know, to me Baltimore seemed to be more a vehicle for weird stories with his journey to slay vampires as a frame narrative and this fit that idea really well. I like Baltimore better as a mysterious cipher than an actual starring character.

I don't know, to me Baltimore seemed to be more a vehicle for weird stories with his journey to slay vampires as a frame narrative and this fit that idea really well. I like Baltimore better as a mysterious cipher than an actual starring character.
    I haven't read this story (waiting for the trade), but that was what I enjoyed about the novel so much.

Oh man, you're in for a treat then as it's a real gem. Basically if you really enjoyed the free comicbook day story you'll really love this issue as it has that same man with no name vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I felt the opposite. It never really grabbed me. The whole Poe head thing seemed like a cross between Futurama and The Amazing Screw-On Head. It felt like Mike had this Muse idea for a story and shoehorned it into a Baltimore book, even though it didn't really fit.
    I haven't read this one yet, but like Middenway I feel I'm gonna be liking it since it sounds very much like what Baltimore has been about as from the start, as referring to the novel most significantly I'd say.
    Since in the novel it gets intricately and vividly laid out how Lord Baltimore basically gets gutted and crippled to the point of merely his vengeance remaining, vengeance against this plague-like evil demon of war thing or situation which needs to be stopped.
    Making Baltimore this full on no nonsense avenging warrior wearing his cross as a peg leg as meaning to be settling the score and be done with it, eventhough there's likely coming to be stuff between such, more rather than it all being to meet with but the swiftest conclusion.

To me it seems most any serial or serialized hero story matter will most basically be about a set or outlined promise, aside from characterization in a sense of personality or such.
    Batman is a dude fighting crime in a bat suit because crime murdered his parents and his house contains a cave (a batcave).
    Spider-Man is some kid with a duty for getting bit by a radioactive spider lending him powers. Which sounds rather like an excuse for having this kid be all that special.
    Or Superman, he is God on earth or Hercules in the now, because somehow the only surviving member of an alien race looking like well-developed humans but with very spiffy powers secretly landed here. The perfect human except he's not human.

And why would hero story matter be about such an outlined or set promise?
    Because that is how story matter can be fitted into serialized stuff, like comics, in a way readers can be to jump in time and again or at any point mostly.
    Since Baltimore is outlined as this husk of a man dedicating himself to bring vengeance upon the plague-like war-remnants or be it vampires until they are stopped, with this Haigus as being the number one starter-upper behind it all, as it would appear.
    I'd say that as such there would be a lot of room for the writers/creators - being both Golden and Mignola - for incorporating lots of coolness or weirdness into the stories, playing with Baltimore as for proving him to be or becoming a mysterious "cipher" or "vessel" more rather than not? As if such would be creating the story matter in itself more rather than not?
    Like how at some point in the novel it somehow becomes clear that Lord Baltimore would have become this unreachable distant and wayward figure off chasing this quest of his, even to those who'd have felt to be standing by him. His remaining friends or confidants, who can only share or piece together their stories as how it seems, or can they?...

I bet that writing or creating stories will involve "shoehorning" or "constructing" in kind of a big way. As if it couldn't do without such? But I'd think that any stories would only be the better because of it. As well as any weirdness or funkyness. I can like such much. Bring on the Poe Head, the weirder or cootier the better!
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I want to be clearer that it's not that Baltimore wasn't a main player in this issue, but that the story itself didn't work that well for me. The Baltimore stories are usually creepy and/or horrific., This one had Baltimore's arch foe involved in an off the wall tale of Edgar Allen Poe's floating head. I just didn't buy into it. I stayed removed from the book.

If you knew Baltimore was chasing you would you stop to corrupt a theater company?

He doesn't seem to be to concerned about Baltimore dogging him at this point.

I think thwhtGuardian has it in that it shows he's pretty nonchalant about Lord Baltimore chasing him, but I agree with the sentiments that it just didn't grab me. It might be that I was in a foul mood on the bus when I read it, but I just... hm. Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what I think, but I don't think it was the best.

Quote Originally Posted by regan View Post
    If you knew Baltimore was chasing you would you stop to corrupt a theater company?
    Haigus would 'cos he is a total cad...

I don't think he stopped by choice. The muse had enchanted him.

I liked this one but yeah, I did think the Poe thing was a bit strange. I'd also just read Richard Corben's conqueror worm so I was suprised to see the same poem used again in this.
    Last edited by Ollie; 11-28-2012 at 02:28 AM.