Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Where do you go to find indy comic books?

Hey guys, so I'm new around here and I'm basically looking for creator owned comic books. For two reasons, first to see how big this market is and secondly to see how successful creators brought their comics to their audiences.

I'm currently producing an indy comic book series called "The Lost Kids" (https://www.facebook.com/lostkidscom...05064412868242) and would appreciate any input, tips and advice on how to build an audience for it and where to make it available.

Thanks!
    Felipe

Start a blog and keep it updated with art. Page scans, peeks in your sketchbook, maybe website exclusive stuff or if you are an artist by trade a look at your work stuff. Whatever you have to keep people checking back in. That's how I discovered Fukitor and how I keep up with Ralph Snart and any work by Johnny Ryan. It's also how I came to know Song Of Songs The Comic Book and several other self published series and creators.

You could trade links with other small press creators. This is how i came to know Tim Corrigan. Promoting here is a good idea, but I think having something a little better suited than Facebook for people to check out. You could also contact your local LCS and see if they are willing to carry it. My LCS carries a self published comic from a local guy.

Depending on content you might have luck getting it stocked at local record stores, head shops, maybe even a Hot Topic type place. Who knows.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Awesome, thanks so much for all the tips, I will definitely take those to heart :)

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

get on twitter and talk about your stuff using the appropriate hashtags.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Diamond's Previews Catalog and The Internet is where I do most of my indie comics research.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 07-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Make sure it's available on Comixology. I've wanted to read Princeless but haven't since I can't get it digitally. By contrast I saw a few panels of Bandette a few days ago on Tumblr, then a preview today here, and on a whim picked the book up. It was easy to satisfy a very transitory whim, and so the purchase was made (and I'm glad because I really enjoyed it). But for the instant gratification possible by Comixology I really doubt I would have made the leap. Now I'm not sure how economical it is to do so for a small company, but as a consumer that is what would make me make the leap.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain" Steven Pinker

Try browsing kickstarter.com - there are a ton of amazing comic projects on there like REMIND and CURSED PIRATE GIRL. Best place I can think of to find some truly rare gems!
    Check out my site:
    SPAGHETTIKISS.COM

Comics / Apparel / Illustration
    SpaghettiKiss' Art Thread

BANNED

Comixology has the widest selection of indie comics. Titles that aren't even sold in shops.

Online. From the comic shops that sell online. To the publishers home pages.

Just have your book available online with a cheap or economical shipping charge and pass that link around wherever and however. There are multiple small press friendly sellers online, hit them all up. And have your book available in print and digital formats.

Send freebies to reviewers also, that helps.

All great tips, I really appreciate the input from everyone! As an avid reader on Comixology (I live in Brazil and it's the only reasonable way to get the US comics on the day they are released without ridiculous shipping costs) I'm very tempted to make my series available over there. Maybe the first issue for free and follow ups for $1.99. Would that be reasonable?

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

Free or 99 cents.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Quote Originally Posted by felipecagno View Post
    Hey guys, so I'm new around here and I'm basically looking for creator owned comic books. For two reasons, first to see how big this market is and secondly to see how successful creators brought their comics to their audiences.

I'm currently producing an indy comic book series called "The Lost Kids" (https://www.facebook.com/lostkidscom...05064412868242) and would appreciate any input, tips and advice on how to build an audience for it and where to make it available.

Thanks!
    Felipe
    The site I write for accepts all independent comics and reviews them. We published one a few weeks back.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Great website, I'm actually reading some of the reviews right now :)

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

I get my indie books which is drawn and written from 8 year olds in an neighbood. They also sell lemonade too.

Perfect combo, wish I had such a nice neighborhood!