View Poll Results: Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello / What is Your Verdict?

Voters
294. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • 5 Stars - His work is GREAT as compared to the other DC writers

    160 54.42%
  • 4 Stars - His work is GOOD as compared to the other DC writers

    67 22.79%
  • 3 Stars - His work is AVERAGE as compared to the other DC writers

    26 8.84%
  • 2 Stars - His work is BELOW AVERAGE as compared to the other DC writers

    16 5.44%
  • 1 Star - His work is POOR as compared to the other DC writers

    25 8.50%
Page 82 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1305
  1. #1216
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Loving this discussion, but not loving the tone some of you are taking.

    Stop addressing other posters in a hostile fashion, please, or I will be forced to start deleting and issuing warnings.

    Keep it civil :)
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

  2. #1217
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    That isn't the point and if you ever bothered to read the story, you'd know that. NO ONE left the island prior to Steve's arrival. No one even considered it. Steve's arrival was what got the Amazons to reconsider their isolationist stance. And Golden Age Wonder Woman was not the weak, constantly-pining-after-Steve fool that Silver Age Wonder Woman was. AT ALL.
    Ah, so it wasn't just Diana, it was all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    You are reading into (without reading) the Golden Age stories something you expect to see there but wasn't actually the way you assume it to be. Or you are lumping Golden Age Wonder Woman in with the Silver Age garbage that came after Marston left the book, as if it were all the same thing.
    Such a nice way to mention he died.

  3. #1218
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    We could be inspired by Wonder Woman to believe that redemption is always possible.
    I actually dont believe that. Anakin Skywalker should burn in hell.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  4. #1219
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    He makes it clear that he thought at least that women had superior potential for being good leaders of society. In Emotions of Normal People, he wrote that "I have reached the tentative conclusion that male love leadership is virtually impossible." (393) The conclusion was tentative, but he doesn't seem to have changed his mind by the time he wrote Wonder Woman; he told the All-Star editor that "the entire aim and purpose" of Wonder Woman was to reveal the "universal truth" of "women taming men so they like peace and love better than fighting." Liking peace and love better sounds great, but "women taming men" doesn't exactly sound like the language of gender equality.
    It could, if one assumes that since both genders bring something to the equation without female input society exists in an unbalanced state, causing problems to arise.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  5. #1220
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It could, if one assumes that since both genders bring something to the equation without female input society exists in an unbalanced state, causing problems to arise.
    By that logic, you could also say that a company's humblest workers are equal to its upper management in that both are equally necessary to the effective functioning of the company. In a deep sense, I even think that this is true. But they're not equal in terms of power. If Marston thought some women should be leaders and all men should be followers--and he was pretty explicit that he did think this--then that's not what we normally mean by gender equality.

    Of course, the catch is that women, according to Marston, should be selfless leaders. In practice, they might get all the responsibilities of leadership and none of the perks. And men get an excuse for not having to live up to the high standards that women are expected to live up to. I believe that true equality would be better for both men and women.
    Last edited by slvn; 11-02-2012 at 09:35 AM.

  6. #1221

    Default

    On Azz's work-- I think he's a fine storyteller, 'tho wayyyy too decompressed for my taste. I don't mind his actual storytelling abilities on WW-- I object to certain aspects of the mythos that he altered to suit his needs.

    ... if I may chime in just one little bit on the earlier discussion about the Amazons (on the previous page)-- for the Perez Amazons, one thing is forgotten-- they were victims in their previous lives. They were (as was mentioned) a random selection of regular women who had died through man's ignorance and violence, then the Goddesses reincarnated those womens' souls as new women-- the Amazons. The Amazons tried to live among society as equals to man until their fall at the hands of Heracles and his men. And only then did they retreat to the island-- not because they wanted to get away from man and live on their own, but because the Goddesses decreed they do so.

    Also, on the subject of Diana and Steve, I know it's rather simplistic-- Diana falling in love with the first man she sees.... but I never look at it from the standpoint of her falling in love with literally the first man-- as in, any man would have fit the bill. She falls in love with Steve-- because it's Steve. And her finding love with him shows her that despite how perfect and peaceful their society is, something is missing. And that love actually honors their patron Goddess, Aphrodite.

    M

  7. #1222
    evil maybe, genius no stk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Ah, so it wasn't just Diana, it was all of them.
    Why do you make such a lavish display of your not having read the original stories? I can't understand why it seems like such a point of pride for you to remain ignorant and so dismissive of the Golden Age. You are doing yourself a real disservice. They are wonderful stories and way ahead of the time they were published, not to mention way ahead of the Silver and Bronze Age stories that followed, written by men who either didn't understand or didn't believe in the message of the original character.

    I don't understand your glee in disparaging something you clearly haven't read beyond a very brief and superficial level.

  8. #1223
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Well, if it means anything, this is one of the two New 52 books I still read regularly (though I'm planning on picking up the Flash HCs)...

    To me, he gave WW an interesting edge by bringing in the mythological aspect to her story...and, as far as the New 52 being a reboot, this feels like the only title that really changed from the status quo beforehand...had this series been something else other than WW but a different lead character I would still most likely be reading it and I think that says a lot...

    I'm really excited to see where the upcoming New Gods storyline leads to...

  9. #1224
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    By that logic, you could also say that a company's humblest workers are equal to its upper management in that both are equally necessary to the effective functioning of the company. In a deep sense, I even think that this is true. But they're not equal in terms of power. If Marston thought some women should be leaders and all men should be followers--and he was pretty explicit that he did think this--then that's not what we normally mean by gender equality.
    Yes, but he also said that the men should practise loving submission, not that women should forcibly enslave them. So the men have the choice as to how they act.

    People often confuse gender equality with gender sameness. Men and women are not the same. I dont agree with all of Marston's specific ideas, and I take note of your point before that he had a tentative conclusion about how the genders should operate on a societal level. But I also dont agree that there is evidence to suggest that he thought men were actually inferior to women.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  10. #1225
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Yes, but he also said that the men should practise loving submission, not that women should forcibly enslave them. So the men have the choice as to how they act.
    Sure. But if someone said that deep down, women desire men to rule over them, and that the only hope for peace in the world is to have men in control, I wouldn't say that this person believes in gender equality. Believing the opposite was far more progressive, because it was counter to the actual social inequality of women--but it still wasn't a belief in gender inequality

    From Olive Byrne's interview with Marston for Family Circle:

    Byrne: "Will war ever end in this world; will men ever stop fighting?"

    Marston: "Oh, yes. But not until women control men....

    "The fact that both sexes are beginning to recognize the desire for the supremacy of strong and loving women is by far the most hopeful sign of the times. [After WWI,] Women definitely emerged from a false, haremlike protection and began taking over men's work. Greatly to their own surprise they discovered that they were potentially as strong as men-in some ways stronger. Women have more emotional power than men, they have greater endurance and more resistance to disease they live longer, and they can endure pain far better. The moment women began doing things to develop their strength, it increased enormously...Women will win! Give them a little more time and the added strength they'll develop out of this war and they'll begin to control things in a serious way. When women rule, there won't be any more because the girls won't want to waste time killing men."

    http://www.wonderwoman-online.com/ar...c-marston.html

    So I can think we can at least say that Marston wanted women to be superior to men in power, and that he thought other men and women also wanted this deep down, and that he thought women should rule the world. Certainly equality doesn't have to be sameness, but if someone thinks that one gender should "rule the world" or "control things," than that person doesn't want gender equality, right?

    Again, though, I think the idea of women as having more "emotional power" and being morally superior is theoretically much more dangerous to women than to men, as it would, if widely held, hold women to an unfairly higher standard of selflessness.

  11. #1226
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Sure. But if someone said that deep down, women desire men to rule over them, and that the only hope for peace in the world is to have men in control, I wouldn't say that this person believes in gender equality. Believing the opposite was far more progressive, because it was counter to the actual social inequality of women--but it still wasn't a belief in gender inequality

    From Olive Byrne's interview with Marston for Family Circle:

    Byrne: "Will war ever end in this world; will men ever stop fighting?"

    Marston: "Oh, yes. But not until women control men....

    "The fact that both sexes are beginning to recognize the desire for the supremacy of strong and loving women is by far the most hopeful sign of the times. [After WWI,] Women definitely emerged from a false, haremlike protection and began taking over men's work. Greatly to their own surprise they discovered that they were potentially as strong as men-in some ways stronger. Women have more emotional power than men, they have greater endurance and more resistance to disease they live longer, and they can endure pain far better. The moment women began doing things to develop their strength, it increased enormously...Women will win! Give them a little more time and the added strength they'll develop out of this war and they'll begin to control things in a serious way. When women rule, there won't be any more because the girls won't want to waste time killing men."

    http://www.wonderwoman-online.com/ar...c-marston.html

    So I can think we can at least say that Marston wanted women to be superior to men in power, and that he thought other men and women also wanted this deep down, and that he thought women should rule the world. Certainly equality doesn't have to be sameness, but if someone thinks that one gender should "rule the world" or "control things," than that person doesn't want gender equality, right?

    Again, though, I think the idea of women as having more "emotional power" and being morally superior is theoretically much more dangerous to women than to men, as it would, if widely held, hold women to an unfairly higher standard of selflessness.
    Hmmmm.

    It would seem I was wrong about Marston. I hate being wrong - on the rare occasions it happens it is always dreadfully depressing.

    On the other hand, my wife visited three different shops this afternoon to find blackberry jam because she heard me say I really liked it this morning. I dont really understand the attraction since my body looks nothing like Ryan Goslings, but its still nice.

    Also, I just listened to this talk between the EverQueen and Gwen...

    EQ: Where did you get a Wonder Woman comic?

    Gwen: From the comic shop. Daddy got it for me and she's flying.

    EQ: Wonder Woman can't fly.

    Gwen: Yes she can, because she is a total hero. I love Wonder Woman because she's awesome.


    So, what do I take away from all this.

    Marston was wrong about gender equality. But I am right. Not because Marston agrees with me, but because I personally am very intelligent.

    Which means I am cleverer than the man who was clever enough to invent Wonder Woman and the lie detector.

    Damn, I'm awesome.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


  12. #1227
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

    Marston was wrong about gender equality. But I am right. Not because Marston agrees with me, but because I personally am very intelligent.

    Which means I am cleverer than the man who was clever enough to invent Wonder Woman and the lie detector.

    Damn, I'm awesome.
    That's the spirit!

    (Incidentally, I have extensive experience being wrong. In fact, I'm usually wrong and my wife is usually right. Hey, Maybe Marston was ri-- nah!)
    Last edited by slvn; 11-03-2012 at 06:41 AM.

  13. #1228
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Why do you make such a lavish display of your not having read the original stories? I can't understand why it seems like such a point of pride for you to remain ignorant and so dismissive of the Golden Age. You are doing yourself a real disservice. They are wonderful stories and way ahead of the time they were published, not to mention way ahead of the Silver and Bronze Age stories that followed, written by men who either didn't understand or didn't believe in the message of the original character.

    I don't understand your glee in disparaging something you clearly haven't read beyond a very brief and superficial level.
    If you dont understand my points, dont bother asking about them, it appears it would just hurt your head.

    Oh, and don't presume to know what I have and haven't read.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 11-03-2012 at 05:30 AM.

  14. #1229
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Last warning - next person in this thread to get off the topic by addressing another poster gets the watering can.

    I mean it.
    Gaelforce
    WW Forum Mom
    WW/Superman/TV & Film Moderator

  15. #1230
    U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beyond the Dune Sea.
    Posts
    11,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    That's the spirit!

    (Incidentally, I have extensive experience being wrong. In fact, I'm usually wrong and my wife is usually right. Hey, Maybe Marston was ri-- nah!)
    In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I am not counting times my wife disagrees with me. Though naturally on such occasions 'wrong' does seem to be my default setting.

    Which Marston was half right - women may not be innately superior, but they will win.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •