Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hydro123456 View Post
    That issue really is brilliant. Also after reading Hitman, pick up the recent JLA/Hitman crossover.
    I can't imagine that won't be in the final trade.
    [quickly checks Amazon]
    And indeed it is included. The Trinity is on the cover even.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    I can't imagine that won't be in the final trade.
    [quickly checks Amazon]
    And indeed it is included. The Trinity is on the cover even.
    Wow, it took them a while to collect that series.

Have you tried Luther Strode yet? I love it. I enjoy Locke and Key and like you I am awaiting Volume 5 in the mail :) .. Luther strode was something I really enjoyed, Hack and Slash is fun also.
    Pull List: Aquaman, Death of the Family, Ultimate Comics Spider Man, Uncanny Avengers, Secret Service, Locke and Key & I, Vampire

Quote Originally Posted by hydro123456 View Post
    Wow, it took them a while to collect that series.
    Well, they only started not that long ago.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Fan2232 View Post
    Have you tried Luther Strode yet? I love it. I enjoy Locke and Key and like you I am awaiting Volume 5 in the mail :) .. Luther strode was something I really enjoyed, Hack and Slash is fun also.
    I haven't tried Luther Strode but after reading the quick blurb on it I might have to pick it up and go through it.

Recapping on some of the bits I bought from the rest of this thread:

Loving Sweet Tooth, really compelling book.
    The Unwritten grab me straight away in the first trade so the next two volumes are currently on their way.
    Pride of Baghdad was a great read, lovely story and the art was fantastic.
    Part way through Daytripper and loving it.

So overall, some really successful suggestions from this thread, thanks to all those have contributed and continue to do so! It's re-ignited my love for comics again after it slipped a little when trying to find the next big thing.

Oh, and Saga? that's amazing. Sod trades, it's got to be single issue for that.

The talk about Hitman in this thread has me interested to try it. I feel the same way about Ennis as others have mentioned in this thread. He is great with characters, but gets a bit offensive just to be shocking.

Thinking back about YtLM and what makes Vaughan great (to me) is that he's a great character writer. He is showing the same thing in Saga. When I think of other great character writers two others come to mind.

The first and most obvious one is Robert Kirkman. You read TWD, but do you read Invincible? That is actually my favorite book out there. It takes one full hardcover to get going. If you enjoy super hero stuff at all, this is the best of it.

The other writer is not so obvious, but he's a favorite of mine because of his ability to write characters - Joe Kelly. If you haven't read it, read I Kill Giants. That may be the only book that has damn near brought me to tears. Four Eyes is another great book from him too.
    Pull List Saga, Invincible, Walking Dead, Chew, Peter Panzerfaust, Superior Spidey, Animal Man, Aquaman, Harbinger, X-O Manowar

Everyone's pretty well covered this so just want to chime in and mention that if you're stuck on Scalped, the thing really kicks off around the third trade after which you'll find it just as maddening a Y between volumes.

And yeah make sure you get to Swamp Thing and Hitman one day

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Fan2232 View Post
    Hack and Slash is fun also.
    Oh that book. I remember it well as one of two graphic novels to make me sick to my stomach while reading it. Interesting premise, not worth continuing in fear of puking.

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrs View Post
    The other writer is not so obvious, but he's a favorite of mine because of his ability to write characters - Joe Kelly. If you haven't read it, read I Kill Giants. That may be the only book that has damn near brought me to tears. Four Eyes is another great book from him too.
    I generally hate Joe Kelly's writing, but I Kill Giants was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by 400yrs View Post
    The talk about Hitman in this thread has me interested to try it. I feel the same way about Ennis as others have mentioned in this thread. He is great with characters, but gets a bit offensive just to be shocking.

Thinking back about YtLM and what makes Vaughan great (to me) is that he's a great character writer. He is showing the same thing in Saga. When I think of other great character writers two others come to mind.

The first and most obvious one is Robert Kirkman. You read TWD, but do you read Invincible? That is actually my favorite book out there. It takes one full hardcover to get going. If you enjoy super hero stuff at all, this is the best of it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I read and adore Invincible, unfortunately I made the 'seemed like a good idea at the time' decision to buy it in the Ultimate Collection format and it's usually a full year before a new book is released. But I agree, it's some of the best super hero work around at the moment.

Can't say I've read I kill Giants or Four Eyes, but I'll certainly check them out next time I get a chance!

As a couple other have stated, I would suggest preacher if your looking for something from Vertigo. I found myself breezing through that series whenever I had a chance to read, and the way the books are broken into short chapters makes it real easy to read a chapter here or there in between having other things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    It was actually vol 4 of Fables "March Of The Wooden Soldiers" that sold me on it. It blew me away.
    This is where Fable started to really hook me too. I started to like the characters and the direction.

Unwritten is very good. It's not so much a book where you have to see what happens next. It is well written though and makes you think.

DMZ was a good read. I felt like I couldn't wait to see what happens at times. It has a weird dystopian feeling kind of like Y.

Invincible is one of my favorite books each month. When I found that I just couldn't' put it down. It has a classic super hero feel, but is also very original too.

Criminal, Incognito, and Sleeper all are Outstanding reads. They are dark though. I couldn't put Sleeper down.

I think thats it. I'm still early in Y: The Last Man. I read through to volume 3 in trades and just ordered a bunch of singles to pick up where that left off. I'm really enjoying it though.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have to ask if the OP or anyone else in a similar position found a suitable replacement for Y: TLM. I ask because I too found Y:TLM to be one of the best comic books ever. I like it much better (so far) than my beloved American Vampire series. Is there any other comic book (not just from vertigo) that rivals Y:TLM.

I ask this in all sincerity and not as a big fanboy. The story and art, it is nearly perfect. AmVam could get there, but sometimes I am left wondering where the series is going. Trust me, I am enjoying AmVam, but the story isn't as focused as Y:TLM. Every issue is important in the Y series and I felt it was so epic.

Some series I'm considering buying to fulfill this empty space in my comic book reading may include Invincible and Scalped. I know that I am comparing apples to oranges, but nevertheless, I want to ask how those compare to Y:TLM in terms of its story quality and "epic-ness".

I also read Batman and WonderWoman New 52 and love those series very much.

I would recommend Wasteland as a replacement.

I recently got into Wasteland, and I'll definitely second that recommendation. Very few other books have matched the depth of world-building, realness, and amount of well-developed characters. It honestly has the scope and feel of a big budget HBO epic.