Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Amethyst" Creator Dan Mishkin Speaks Out On Character's "Sword of Sorcery" Revamp

"Amethyst, Princess Of Gemworld" creator Dan Mishkin speaks out about Christy Marx's tale in "Sword Of Sorcery" and the upcoming "Amethyst" trade paperback.

Full article here.

Old people yelling at clouds.

So he's cool with the cartoon but cant stand anyone doing another comic. Version even if it was the.person behind the cartoon he likes.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

... and I'm sure people are going to use this to complain about DC some more ...
    I think the generation of comic companies taking ideas for their own benefit is over. They're still going to use the properties they got from other people, but from now on, people on the creative end know what they're getting into. If you go into mainstream comics, those ideas come from you, but they aren't yours. They're for a much bigger property -- its part of the job to create stuff like that. If it is too cool to give away to a mainstream publisher, find a way to publish it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post

So he's cool with the cartoon but cant stand anyone doing another comic. Version even if it was the.person behind the cartoon he likes.
    ...hes getting money from the cartoon.

I didnt take the interview that way at all. I think hes a realist with the way the industry is and how it works. He says he wishes DC the best of luck and understands what he got into when he started working on this book. Good interview in my opinion.

I was impressed with the way this guy was able to balance the tension of publisher rights and creator rights in his opinion. He clearly believes he is entitled to be disappointed by what DC is choosing to do with the idea he created, but he recognizes that he knowingly entered the contract with them that gave the company ownership and creative control. I also like how he states the Ghost Rider guy and Alan Moore should have the same types of creator rights. Seems like a grounded, smart dude.

/I was excited about the trade paperback until I read it would be in black and white. Lost interest, no sale, DC release it in color in hardback, already!
    You want I should bop you with this lollipop?

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by shingi70 View Post

He's cool with the cartoon because it's clearly more in line with the character HE CREATED.

So it's ok for Alan Moore to kvetch about "his characters", but god forbid anyone else do the same for their creations (especially when the character in question has been completely reduced to something far from its original portrayal, tone and tenor...)

He's mirroring my own grave reservations, as a huge Amethyst fan, over this "Sword and Sorcery" book.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Wasn't a fan of sword and sorcery before this. Now after the interview makes me glad I'm not buying this title

and for Amethyst keep in mind its an anthology title I would be surprise to see her on the title for more than 5 issues
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

out chasing comets Kevin Street's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by supercam View Post
    I was impressed with the way this guy was able to balance the tension of publisher rights and creator rights in his opinion. He clearly believes he is entitled to be disappointed by what DC is choosing to do with the idea he created, but he recognizes that he knowingly entered the contract with them that gave the company ownership and creative control. I also like how he states the Ghost Rider guy and Alan Moore should have the same types of creator rights. Seems like a grounded, smart dude.
    Exactly. You say it well.

Oh don't get me wrong Alan Moore is bitchy old man and I hope they spin watchmen into aongojng just to spite him.

And I get where he is coming from. Like he said they aren't the same characters at all. So lea e it at that and chill. Its a new universe so of course its going to be different than the last one.
    Dc: Action Comics/Animal Man/Swamp Thing/Earth-2/Green Arrow/Batman/Threshold/Batwoman/Justice League/Green Lantern/Teen Titans/Superman/Justice League Dark/I,Vampire.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    He's cool with the cartoon because it's clearly more in line with the character HE CREATED.

So it's ok for Alan Moore to kvetch about "his characters", but god forbid anyone else do the same for their creations (especially when the character in question has been completely reduced to something far from its original portrayal, tone and tenor...)
    Exactly....he has every valid right to feel the way he feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post

He's mirroring my own grave reservations, as a huge Amethyst fan, over this "Sword and Sorcery" book.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Exactly....he has every valid right to feel the way he feels.

He's cool with the cartoon because the cartoon isn't comics. If that Cartoon version of the character became the bases for the Sword And Sorcery book, something similar to his vision and your taste in the series, he would still be "disappointed" in it. As stated in the article. So the question becomes if the series was in line with what he created but he was still upset over it, would you care? Would you buy it?
    Last edited by Alch; 07-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricolo View Post
    /I was excited about the trade paperback until I read it would be in black and white. Lost interest, no sale, DC release it in color in hardback, already!
    Ernie Colon's artwork looks even better in b&w!

BANNED

Nice to see that not everyone is Alan Moore on the inside.