Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I'm not completely on board, but I am intrigued.

I wish these companies would quit with the constant relaunches and reboots and just tell good stories. They really are running out of ideas.

It really depends on what the initiative is COMPRISED of.

Certainly the flagship titles are quite notable for their creative teams, and I'm on board for Hickman's...anything. I'll give it a try, at least, and Jerone Opena is a great artist. I'm picking up that book.

I'm less enamored with Remender, and absolutely won't touch anything Bendis works on in the standard superhero universe (but would love to see more street crime or creator owned books from him). I'll give Remender's Uncanny Avengers a shot because it'll probably be an enjoyable superhero action team book...but I expect to drop it within a couple of issues, as I did his Secret Avengers.

The DC did a lot right and a lot wrong, but the thing that most excited me was the chances they took on newish creators and d-grade characters. It's no secret that the Dark line has been the most creatively successful line of the bunch, and with each new wave we've gotten at least one or two books of similar awesomesauce quality, at least en potentia.

Nothing about the relaunch, continuity free or whatever, was really geared towards me in the New 52, and the same goes for Marvel Now (terrible name). But if Marvel gives expanded roles to some interesting creative forces - more Gillen, more Hickman, more Spencer, more Clevinger - and focuses on some fringe characters and books that I might be more interested in, I'll be there with bells on.

The monetary successes of the relaunch were some usual suspects - the Batman books, the Morrison books, the Johns books, the GL books - but in general they didn't get me most excited (not to say I didn't love a lot of them...)
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Its all about the price. I refuse to pay $3.99 for any comic. I ended a 25+ year run on Uncanny over it and a 20+ year run on Spidey and Avengers over it. I dropped a very good Batman book recently when it went to $3.99. So suffice it to say even though Marvel is the company that got me into comics and the only company I read for 25 years I'm not going to go back to them at $3.99 no matter what they do.

as someone who started comics with the New 52, I might check out the 1st issue, but I don't know if I'll stick around. My reading queue is pretty full as it is

I hate to ever be considered a Marvel hater because I was weened on Marvel Comics. It seems with every move they make they're trying to make me one, though.

I'll keep watching the movies, but "Marvel Now"? It's pretty laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoninthewoods View Post
    I think Marvel may have hooked me like DC did.
    I'm not on board unless they launch a Squirrel Girl ongoing.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Wonder Woman, Worlds' Finest, My Little Pony, The Flash, Birds of Prey, Batman '66

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    Its all about the price. I refuse to pay $3.99 for any comic. I ended a 25+ year run on Uncanny over it and a 20+ year run on Spidey and Avengers over it. I dropped a very good Batman book recently when it went to $3.99. So suffice it to say even though Marvel is the company that got me into comics and the only company I read for 25 years I'm not going to go back to them at $3.99 no matter what they do.
    This. Would rather buy another Image book
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I wish these companies would quit with the constant relaunches and reboots and just tell good stories. They really are running out of ideas.
    DC reboots every generation. Marvel relaunches every two years.

Anyway, the price point may be a problem. I won't pay $3.99 for 20 pages of a comic.
    I was hoping they'd take Wolverine and Spider-man OUT of the Avengers. Even so, I gun shy about Hickman, as I found his Ultimates downright boring.
    And I hope they're telling the truth about Cassady, because that guy can't keep a monthly schedule. They should go ahead and let people know that he's only on for the first arc.
    Bendis on X-Men: hell no.
    Remender: pass.
    We'll see what else they roll out.
    Last edited by FIFTY-TWO (52); 07-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

None of the announced creative teams have really piqued my interest yet, but hopefully we'll get some sort of announcement akin to when DC announced the Dark Line with exceptional creative teams. I'm hoping this relaunch doesn't effect Journey into Mystery or Daredevil, which are my top two Marvel books of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    Except, sadly, just telling good stories isn't enough. If it were, we wouldn't have the common occurrence of people lamenting the poor sales of solid but woefully under-appreciated books.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    None of the announced creative teams have really piqued my interest yet, but hopefully we'll get some sort of announcement akin to when DC announced the Dark Line with exceptional creative teams. I'm hoping this relaunch doesn't effect Journey into Mystery or Daredevil, which are my top two Marvel books of the moment.
    I have a hunch JiM is headed to a close.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Comet Man View Post
    The day I buy any Marvel again, is the day they bring back the one true Captain Marvel back from the dead.

So I guess I'll never buy Marvel again.
    This is the thing that astonishes me: bringing back dead characters like Jean by using time travel again? Like they did with Captain Marvel? Because that worked out so well and was so beloved by fans (not)?

Which opens up the whole can of worms of why don't characters like Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel and even Jean Grey don't remember their trips to the future. It makes no sense and creates all kinds of continuity headaches. Unless *this* team of X-Men is yet again another "alternate timeline." Yeah, Marvel needs more alternate timelines. NOT.

Marvel's alternate timelines = DC's parallel earths
    There is very little practical difference. That is what I hate about Marvel's continuity, especially X-Men. I stopped being able to follow all the different timelines and different versions of characters from different timelines.

Marvel resorting to a bi-weekly X-Men book based on yet another alternate timeline means I get to save more money.

This is so underwhelming and so disappointing. Love or hate Flashpoint, I could understand it and follow it. Yeah, a lot got thrown out and DC is deliberately keeping changes to the past under wraps. But at least there is only ONE timeline.

Whatever. I'm not angry or upset about Marvel's relaunch; I'm just...shockingly disappointed. And I'm scratching my head, too, trying to figure out exactly *how* Marvel thought this was a good idea.

wait, Jean Grey is back? for real?

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    My last hope is that this "$3.99 across the whole line" affects only the new, relaunched titles, but I don't have high hopes. That's a chance for Marvel to take an extra dollar out of the few remaining $2.99 tittles. I don;t thing Disney will let them, even if they wanted.

By the way, I think that they won't be able to reproduce DC's success because they sabotage themselves. DC's success was due to the major media buzz because the renumbered everything at the same time. Expanding the relaunch in a space of months reduces the impact. I don't think the potential new reades will be really enthused when Marvel tells them "come once a week for 3 months to check our new titles". One sees the difference from DC's "In one month (13 titles a week) 52! new titles to see."