Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has announced that he will not be signing a new deal at the club.
    The 28-year-old, who has a year left on his current contract, confirmed he had met with manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis.
    But he revealed that they disagree on the way the club should move forward.
    "I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract," the Dutchman, at the club since 2004, wrote on his website.
    You mean the Man City striker surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    I heard Doncaster talking about this on the way to work today and got so angry I almost crashed the car. At the worst, Rangers shooting down the divisions might affect some first division sides, and that's pushing it. What the fuck money do East Stirling get from the SPL they couldn't live without? If anything Rangers in the third helps more clubs than it hurts. Doncaster and a large chunk of Scotland's media are doing Rangers' PR work for them.
    East Stirling get fuck all. Albion get fuck all. Stranraer get fuck all, and on and on so where the fuck this money they'll lose is to come from I don't know when the average gate for some of these clubs is 200-400, with some only getting home gates in double figures.
    Clyde's statement - I haven't seen Thistle's yet - really drops the SFA and SPL in it. And Raith Rovers' chairman Turnbull Hutton has been tremendous. I'd put him in charge of the whole of Scottish football in a heartbeat right now.
    Only one league club is apparently in favour of Newco joining the first division. They need 14 and they don't seem to be getting anywhere near that.

And oh, Dundee and Airdrie are abstaining because they stand to benefit but Newco still had their vote yesterday. Bloody joke.

Mills I don't know much about but Andrews is a tidy signing to try and get you promoted first time. Reckon Coyle's track record should get some useful players in on loan too.
    Mills is a good, solid player. Not spectacular but he was a mountain for a season when he was at Leicester.

This is surprising since every legal expert not paid by Charles Green said there wasn't a problem with players not transferring to the newco. Curious to see where things go from here.
    Word is at least one former Oldco player is considering suing Newco for trying to restrict freedom of movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    I like Martinez a lot.

It maybe a bit harsh, but i just can't stand Whelan's almost constant moaning about this and that. I don't want to wish relegation on any fan, as i've suffered it before, but i just think if you can't fill your stadium when playing in the Premier League, playing teams like Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, you don't deserve to be in the Premier League. And when you look at some of the clubs in the Championship, like your Nottingham Forests, your Crystal Palaces, your Leicesters, your Middlesboroughs, I'd like to see them up in Wigan's place.
    Man Utd are the only club filling their ground though you'd be hard pushed to know that if you listened to the radio. Every other club struggles, and remember, Wigan is a rugby town, not football and as it falls into the old catchment area for Man Utd fans, they suck up a load of locals. As someone who still has a soft spot for Leicester and it's people, I'd love to see them up but on merit rather than because they're supported well.

Scottish society will collapse should Rangers, or Newco, fail to get into the first division. This is according to the head of the SFL, Stewart Regan.

So we're onto threatening the Scottish people that Oldco fans will commit random acts of violence, and he's got the cheek to come out with this bollocks just before marching season. Twat.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Man Utd are the only club filling their ground though you'd be hard pushed to know that if you listened to the radio. Every other club struggles,
    Looking at 2011/2012 attendances for the EPL, that's doesn't look like it's true. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, Stoke, Norwich, Swansea all seemed to have come within a gnat's arse (or bang on in Arsenal's case) of having an average full attendance for the 19 home games last season. And that's without working out what percentage is away fans not traveling.

http://www.worldfootball.net/zuschau...e-2011-2012/1/
    Last edited by Captain Clarkie; 07-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clarkie View Post
    Interesting to see what'll happen at Arsenal now RVP is going.
    Yeah, I don't see anyone becoming the new player that carries the team as RVP was after Fabregas left, and Fabregas himself after Henry.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Scottish society will collapse should Rangers, or Newco, fail to get into the first division. This is according to the head of the SFL, Stewart Regan.

So we're onto threatening the Scottish people that Oldco fans will commit random acts of violence, and he's got the cheek to come out with this bollocks just before marching season. Twat.
    Who knew the SFA chief was a sociologist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yeah, I don't see anyone becoming the new player that carries the team as RVP was after Fabregas left, and Fabregas himself after Henry.
    It's an odd set up. Van Persie is obviously trying to move this summer so itll be interesting to see what happens if The Arse sign some quality players.

Rangers fans have been saying for awhile that they want to start in the third division, it's not them that are clamouring to be in the SPL. Or even the first division. The general consensus is that touring Scotland and beating every club is going to be a pretty good adventure. How long will the novelty last? Hard to say. A one team SPL will be a novelty that will get old faster though.

I'd say if various top officials in the Scottish game don't want it to happen though, then it's obviously bad for the Scottish football and hard top sell as a product. Christ, even Sky don't want it to happen. Every punter seems to have an opinion, but the most worrying aspect to me is the lack of facts people put forth to support their opinion.

Let Rangers start in the third division. And what happens, happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Rangers fans have been saying for awhile that they want to start in the third division, it's not them that are clamouring to be in the SPL. Or even the first division. The general consensus is that touring Scotland and beating every club is going to be a pretty good adventure. How long will the novelty last? Hard to say. A one team SPL will be a novelty that will get old faster though.

I'd say if various top officials in the Scottish game don't want it to happen though, then it's obviously bad for the Scottish football and hard top sell as a product. Christ, even Sky don't want it to happen. Every punter seems to have an opinion, but the most worrying aspect to me is the lack of facts people put forth to support their opinion.

Let Rangers start in the third division. And what happens, happens.
    Here are some facts. If nothing else it shows what a crappy job our governing bodies have done supporting our football.

And that's only the SPL clubs. If Rangers drop into the third division someone will want to broadcast their games, which in turn pulls in sponsors. This is money nobody outside of the SPL has seen before, apart from the odd cup game. So 41 member clubs won't die, it's actually more likely that half of them will see an increase in revenue.

Also, Ally McCoist would prefer the third. The only people selling the doomsday scenario are the people meant to be working on solving the problem and their media chums. For Stewart Regan - head of the SFA - to threaten clubs like that rather than looking at how to improve Scottish football is incredible. And if Neil Doncaster is telling the truth and all of the SPL's various contracts are linked to both Old Firm clubs being present then that's a disgrace. No deal should include clauses which effectively overrule relegation; that they were signed with the Big Tax Case looming is just stupid.

That link is saying what our TV rights should be, based on comparisons to other countries. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, the assumption seems to be that Scottish football should demand more money for it's TV rights? But the most important statistic is how many people watch the games on TV. Which seems to be missing, as is total population of the countries involved, so straight away some fundamental flaws. If it's Neil Doncaster's fault, where is the information on the old Sky deal? Surely, that will be more then? But again, that is also missing. What a surprise.

SPL clubs will take a hit in revenue, just how much remains to be seen. If Sky and sponsors don't want to pay for an SPL without Rangers/Celtic well that is their right. As you say, with a big tax case looming they'd be pretty poor businessman if they didn't have an escape clause that if Rangers aren't around they don't have to pay the money.

I'd agree that Rangers presence will be a boon to the third division, in terms of a TV deal and increased attendances. But it's yet to happen, and there's significant problems such as ticketing/policing/travelling to overcome yet. Not to mention that The Rangers are not an actual football club yet, so any deals done will be very last minute. If they get done at all.

Ally wouldn't prefer the third, but he can see why it's a good idea. And he's willing to listen to fans demands to play in the third. Ally was indeed using the Doomsday scenario himself, to be perfectly fair.

My main gripe, is that people are talking about the SPL becoming stronger without Rangers, but when information like the first link is used. It seems very pie in the sky, and not grounded in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    My main gripe, is that people are talking about the SPL becoming stronger without Rangers, but when information like the first link is used. It seems very pie in the sky, and not grounded in reality.
    Are people talking about it getting stronger? I've always assumed that people knew the league will take a huge hit, but that it might not be as bad as Doncaster, Regan etc are suggesting. Some clubs are pretty well positioned to cope at least in the short term - Dundee Utd have said they'll be fine with an extra 1000 season ticket sales IIRC. But that obviously depends on fans paying.

No doubt about it - the SPL will suffer badly though. My gripe is with people in power using words like "armageddon" and talking about clubs going under. It doesn't fill me with confidence that they're working on anything constructive.

And you're right, the link about TV money needs a huge dose of salt. But it's no less pie in the sky than people talking about £17 million being lost from the game IMO. Nobody knows what the losses will be yet.

Veteran Member

Juventus are the new favourites to sign Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, 28, after they moved ahead of both Manchester United and City.

Theo Walcott is also considering his future with Arsenal, as he enters the final year of his current deal.

Chelsea are hoping to finalise a £10m move for Wigan striker Victor Moses.

Arsenal are considering a move for Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote, but will refuse to pay the £20m asking price.

And it appears the Gunners are not the only Premier League clubs monitoring Rennes midfielder Tongo Doumbia, with the player himself saying his agent was currently dealing with offers.

Manchester United have made a bid in the region of £20m for Portugal midfielder Joao Moutinho.

Tottenham are ready to listen to offers for Rafael van der Vaart, 29. A fee of £10m-plus is likely to be enough to capture the Dutch international attacking midfielder.

Spurs are also contemplating bringing former Chelsea, Arsenal and Portsmouth midfielder Lassana Diarra, 27, back to the Premier League, after he was told he could leave Real Madrid.

Brighton want to take Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge on loan next season. The 31-year-old spent the end of last season on loan at Sunderland.

Tottenham's new boss Andre Villas-Boas is heading for a war with Sir Alex Ferguson over Manchester United defender Ezekiel Fryers, 19, who is set to sign for Spurs.

Aston Villa could make a move for Sheffield United right-back Matthew Lowton.

Newcastle are set to sign Coventry's 18-year-old midfielder Gael Bigirimana.

Queen's Park Rangers are preparing an £8m bid for Celtic midfielder Ki Sung-Yueng.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist wants to sign former Celtic striker Craig Beattie as the Ibrox club prepare for life in the Scottish Football League.

Former Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko, 35, is set to return to Chelsea to work under owner Roman Abramovich, according to his current club Dynamo Kiev.

David Beckham has been given a one-game ban and fined an undisclosed amount for his "confrontational and provocative behaviour" during LA Galaxy's 4-3 defeat by San Jose.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Veteran Member

Well I was going to the races until the country started floating. Now I'm bragging about breaking even.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    David Beckham has been given a one-game ban and fined an undisclosed amount for his "confrontational and provocative behaviour" during LA Galaxy's 4-3 defeat by San Jose.
    Let-off.

-----------------
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'