Page 3 of 121 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Rangers will not play in the Scottish Premier League in the coming season.
    SPL chairmen met at Hampden to vote on the Rangers newco's application to replace the old club in the top flight.
    And, afterwards, an SPL spokesman said: "SPL clubs voted overwhelmingly to reject the application from Rangers newco to join the SPL."
    The reformed Ibrox club are now expected to play in the Scottish Football League but it is not clear which division they will enter.
    And there is also uncertainty about who will replace the old Rangers in the SPL - Dunfermline, who were relegated from the division last season, or First Division runners-up Dundee.
    The splendid Rangers tax case blog has a bit more detail, including the wonderful snippet that Green and McCoist's presentation to the SPL clubs went down like a fart in a spacesuit, and now the cat is well and truly among the pigeons after Partick Thistle and Clyde (first time we've stood together on anything) came out and quite clearly said it as it is.

Also the '41 clubs are going down if Newco get sent to the fourth tier' is frankly nonsense as the only clubs who stand to lose money are the Old Firm clubs whose very existence is tied into various sponsorship deals. Now there's some very vague reports on Twitter of the SPL clubs who voted against Newco talking about increased season ticket sales off the back of this and I think and hope that's right as these clubs have dumped short term financial gain for a longer vision of the game which actually includes what fans want to see.

Meanwhile, on the subject of tax dodges, David Conn outlines the ins and outs of what Man Utd are to become. Imagine a massive fan revolt like what's happened in Scotland happening in England?

Veteran Member

And Bolton finally replace Cahill with Matt Mills joining us from Leicester. Also picked up Keith Andrews on a free who scored 9 goals in 20 games for Ipswich last season, not bad for a midfielder.

Arsenal striker Robin van Persie has announced that he will not be signing a new deal at the club.
    The 28-year-old, who has a year left on his current contract, confirmed he had met with manager Arsene Wenger and chief executive Ivan Gazidis.
    But he revealed that they disagree on the way the club should move forward.
    "I've thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract," the Dutchman, at the club since 2004, wrote on his website.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walsh06 View Post
    Honestly saying we are going to be relegated didnt even bother me that much, I was just joking with the reply. But its the fact that people are just saying random stuff is the reason I got into the debate.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just some quick pre-season predictions. If we all explained those it'd take forever - personally I'd like to see Reading stay up. I like a lot of your players and the carefree way you played towards the end of last season was great to watch. Especially when it wound up Neil Warnock.
    Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Also the '41 clubs are going down if Newco get sent to the fourth tier' is frankly nonsense as the only clubs who stand to lose money are the Old Firm clubs whose very existence is tied into various sponsorship deals.
    I heard Doncaster talking about this on the way to work today and got so angry I almost crashed the car. At the worst, Rangers shooting down the divisions might affect some first division sides, and that's pushing it. What the fuck money do East Stirling get from the SPL they couldn't live without? If anything Rangers in the third helps more clubs than it hurts. Doncaster and a large chunk of Scotland's media are doing Rangers' PR work for them.

Clyde's statement - I haven't seen Thistle's yet - really drops the SFA and SPL in it. And Raith Rovers' chairman Turnbull Hutton has been tremendous. I'd put him in charge of the whole of Scottish football in a heartbeat right now.
    And Bolton finally replace Cahill with Matt Mills joining us from Leicester. Also picked up Keith Andrews on a free who scored 9 goals in 20 games for Ipswich last season, not bad for a midfielder.
    Celtic had been linked with both lately funny enough. Mills I don't know much about but Andrews is a tidy signing to try and get you promoted first time. Reckon Coyle's track record should get some useful players in on loan too.

Veteran Member

Oh aye, there's no limit to how many loan players we can get in next season and our chairman has already said we've had encouraging talks with Arsenal and Chelsea about a few players coming our way. I had heard we were getting Ryo Miyaichi again from Arsenal.

Veteran Member

Ten out of twelve SPL sides voted against Rangers. Rangers obviously voted for and Kilmarnock abstained.

Gillingham have been ordered to leave their training ground after failing to pay bills.
    Medway Council claims the League Two side owe more than £34,000 in unpaid utility bills and charges for using Beechings Cross.
    It will begin legal proceedings if the Gills do not hand back the keys to the ground by Friday.

PFA Scotland say the Scottish FA has "rejected to issue the registration for one of our clients to an English Premier League club".
    Three players who were contracted to Rangers FC plc and rejected a transfer to the Rangers newco have agreed moves to top flight clubs in England.
    The players can get a temporary registration while the issue is ruled upon by Fifa.

That's a good signing. Granted I'm biased but mills served us very well for years. He's a very solid centre back. I'll be interested to see him in the jump up to the premier league.
    Reading: The Walking Dead, Morning Glories, Saga, Batman, Hawkeye, The Wake, superman unchained, avengers AI, xmen
    LiamWUL Games Development

PFA Scotland say the Scottish FA has "rejected to issue the registration for one of our clients to an English Premier League club".
    Three players who were contracted to Rangers FC plc and rejected a transfer to the Rangers newco have agreed moves to top flight clubs in England.
    The players can get a temporary registration while the issue is ruled upon by Fifa.
    This is surprising since every legal expert not paid by Charles Green said there wasn't a problem with players not transferring to the newco. Curious to see where things go from here.

Veteran Member

Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov has criticised the running of the club after Robin van Persie announced he would not be renewing his contract.
    The Uzbek billionaire has sent a strongly worded letter to the board accusing them of a lack of investment.
    "Yet again we are faced with losing our true marquee player because we cannot give confidence we can win trophies," he wrote.
    "Where are the safeguards to ensure this doesn't happen again?"

Veteran Member

Aaron Ramsey and his Wales team-mates will face no repercussions over their involvement in the GB Olympic team, the Football Association of Wales has said.
    Ramsey, Craig Bellamy, Joe Allen and Neil Taylor have defied the FAW's wish by agreeing to play at London 2012.
    The FAW oppose Team GB, fearing it could threaten Wales' independence.
    But chief executive Jonathan Ford said: "We've always made it very clear, we're not going to put any sanctions on any players."
    Former Wales captain Ryan Giggs takes the Welsh contingent in the 18-man GB squad to five, selected alongside Bellamy as one of three players allowed over the age of 23.
    Gareth Bale was also set to be involved but a back injury has prevented the Tottenham Hotspur winger from taking part.
    The four involved face the possibility of another kind of sanction, though, as suspensions from red cards not served during the Olympics will be carried over to the next competitive Wales game.

BANNED

I think all the teams that came up should stay up. I think West Ham will be most comfortable. A lot of those players have played in the PL before and Allardyce, love him or hate him, is quite shrewd in the transfer market and is experienced in the top flight.

I really, really, really hope Wigan go down. I hate them. They can't even fill half their stadium, more interested in watching egg chasing. There is teams in the Championship with fans who deserve their team in the big time, fans who are passionate about football and who fill up their teams stadium week in, week out, thick or thin. Also i hate Dave Whelan.

I imagine the teams who came up last time will struggle. It's always harder the second season to live up to the first season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    I really, really, really hope Wigan go down. I hate them. They can't even fill half their stadium, more interested in watching egg chasing. There is teams in the Championship with fans who deserve their team in the big time, fans who are passionate about football and who fill up their teams stadium week in, week out, thick or thin. Also i hate Dave Whelan.
    I think that's a bit strong. Just because the town isn't full of supporters doesn't mean they deserve to go down. The fans Wigan do have all seem pretty passionate, although I do wonder how they put up with Dave Whelan myself. I'd hate to see Roberto Martinez relegated too. He's worked wonders at Wigan and doesn't deserve to take them down.
    I imagine the teams who came up last time will struggle. It's always harder the second season to live up to the first season.
    Hard to say, because I think Norwich and Swansea have got themselves decent new managers so they could freshen things up. Hughton especially is a really canny appointment at Norwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    I think that's a bit strong. Just because the town isn't full of supporters doesn't mean they deserve to go down. The fans Wigan do have all seem pretty passionate, although I do wonder how they put up with Dave Whelan myself. I'd hate to see Roberto Martinez relegated too. He's worked wonders at Wigan and doesn't deserve to take them down.
    I like Martinez a lot.

It maybe a bit harsh, but i just can't stand Whelan's almost constant moaning about this and that. I don't want to wish relegation on any fan, as i've suffered it before, but i just think if you can't fill your stadium when playing in the Premier League, playing teams like Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, you don't deserve to be in the Premier League. And when you look at some of the clubs in the Championship, like your Nottingham Forests, your Crystal Palaces, your Leicesters, your Middlesboroughs, I'd like to see them up in Wigan's place.

Hard to say, because I think Norwich and Swansea have got themselves decent new managers so they could freshen things up. Hughton especially is a really canny appointment at Norwich.
    Fair points. I still think they'll both struggle, I see Swansea being more comfortable. Time will tell, can't wait till the new season.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 07-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Veteran Member

I actually think Swansea will struggle, they've lost Gylfi Sigurdsson and the players are used to playing Brendan Rodgers style. They've got enough to stay up but I do think it's a relegation fight for them this season.

Losing Sigurdsson is a big blow for Swansea right enough. I don't think their style will change much - from what I saw of Mallorca, Michael Laudrup seems to like his teams passing it as well. So the players could adapt quite easily. Or I could be talking pish based on a handful of games, ha.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Interesting to see what'll happen at Arsenal now RVP is going.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'