Page 78 of 121 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1802

It's a sad day when I look at our next match and go "I wonder if we can earn a draw against them". This has not been a good season.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    It's a sad day when I look at our next match and go "I wonder if we can earn a draw against them". This has not been a good season.
    You lot really need to get a new manager in.

Granted, I'm not exactly being impartial here, but Rafa just isn't good enough IMO. A new manager, and maybe Roman spending money again, and you should be better off next season. No idea who you're after, mind.

Also, on a side note, David de Gea was bloody excellent last night. This save, in particular, was fantastic:

And lastly, I now have the distasteful task of cheering on Liverpool. YNWA and all that. Ugh.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

I wonder when will Fulham 'Move up?'
    They've always been in that same position and me thinks its time they try breaking higher.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I wonder when will Fulham 'Move up?'
    They've always been in that same position and me thinks its time they try breaking higher.
    To be fair, staying at that same position without spending insane amounts of money is a pretty big achievement.

And they did try going higher under al-Fayed, which didn't work out that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    To be fair, staying at that same position without spending insane amounts of money is a pretty big achievement.

And they did try going higher under al-Fayed, which didn't work out that well.
    Well their squad is getting better each year, They remind me of Everton and possibly Stoke.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Veteran Member

Bolton had a crack at it. We competed seriously for the fourth Champions League spot for two seasons. Then Allardyce left and no one knew how to make the squad play he did anymore. I know a lot of people don't like him but you can't deny the man has talent. Bolton qualified for Europe twice and were a top ten team for years under him, he left and the very next season we only escaped relegation on the last day and eventually went down. He took Newcastle into the top ten, got sacked, they got relegated. He made Blackburn a top ten team, got sacked, they got relegated. He's got West Ham promoted, looks like he'll keep them up in their first season, the West Ham fans have been calling for him to be sacked for more then a year.

It's amazing, Allardyce's system works, teams are successful under him. But fans hate his style, which does get wrongfully labelled long ball. Bolton brought in Hierro, Okocha and Djorkaeff how do they work into a long ball system? Answer. they don't. Allardyce works like a legend on set pieces, free kicks and corners and this gets wrongly labelled as long ball, I remember watching us outpass Arsenal in more than one game. I saw a statistic one season which showed that the big four had each actually scored more long ball plays then Bolton, but Bolton where still criticized. Tell a lie, Shearer was commenting one day after Bolton had beaten Liverpool and Benitez was moaning about Bolton's style of play, Shearer basically said why should Bolton change from a style that's brought them a win and three points to a style that gets them beat and eventually relegated just because Liverpool and Arsenal can't figure out how to beat them at that style?

...Where the hell did that come from? Sorry, went to a Christening meaning just to have a couple. You can guess how that went. Rant over, I promise.
    Last edited by mcgaffer; 02-03-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Veteran Member

Notts County have announced that manager Keith Curle has been relieved of his duties with immediate effect, after less than a year in charge.
    The 49-year-old leaves Meadow Lane with the Magpies 10th in League One and five points from a play-off position.
    County lost 2-1 at bottom club Hartlepool on Saturday and have won just two of their last 11 matches in all competitions.

Oldham Athletic have confirmed the departure of manager Paul Dickov, who has left his role at Boundary Park following a poor run in League One.
    A statement released by the Latics confirmed the 40 year old had "stepped aside" after losing 3-1 at Walsall.
    His decision comes a week after Oldham dumped Premier League side Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

QPR's Tony Fernandes has committed to financially back the club even if he steps down as chairman saying they can beat the drop
    "If it goes wrong and people think I'm the wrong chairman then I'll step down but my investment will stay."
    Fernandes denied reports of wages paid to new signing Chris Samba saying: "It's nothing like £100,000, it's more like the £65,000 mark.

Veteran Member

Paul Gascoigne's agent says the former England footballer's life is in danger after he started drinking again.
    The 45-year-old was shaking and slurred his words on stage at a charity event in Northampton on Thursday.
    Gascoigne, who openly admits to having problems with alcoholism, has spent time in rehab and was sectioned twice in 2008 under the Mental Health Act.
    His agent Terry Baker told BBC Radio 5 live: "He won't thank me for saying it but he immediately needs to get help."

Jaw Squad Member

Aguero's finish was brilliant, but what on earth was Reina doing out there?

Still, fantastic result for Utd!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Bolton had a crack at it. We competed seriously for the fourth Champions League spot for two seasons. Then Allardyce left and no one knew how to make the squad play he did anymore. I know a lot of people don't like him but you can't deny the man has talent. Bolton qualified for Europe twice and were a top ten team for years under him, he left and the very next season we only escaped relegation on the last day and eventually went down. He took Newcastle into the top ten, got sacked, they got relegated. He made Blackburn a top ten team, got sacked, they got relegated. He's got West Ham promoted, looks like he'll keep them up in their first season, the West Ham fans have been calling for him to be sacked for more then a year.

It's amazing, Allardyce's system works, teams are successful under him. But fans hate his style, which does get wrongfully labelled long ball. Bolton brought in Hierro, Okocha and Djorkaeff how do they work into a long ball system? Answer. they don't. Allardyce works like a legend on set pieces, free kicks and corners and this gets wrongly labelled as long ball, I remember watching us outpass Arsenal in more than one game. I saw a statistic one season which showed that the big four had each actually scored more long ball plays then Bolton, but Bolton where still criticized. Tell a lie, Shearer was commenting one day after Bolton had beaten Liverpool and Benitez was moaning about Bolton's style of play, Shearer basically said why should Bolton change from a style that's brought them a win and three points to a style that gets them beat and eventually relegated just because Liverpool and Arsenal can't figure out how to beat them at that style?

...Where the hell did that come from? Sorry, went to a Christening meaning just to have a couple. You can guess how that went. Rant over, I promise.
    Well, that was entertaining.

Agree with you 100%, FWIW. Big Sam's a very good manager, as his track record clearly shows. His style's not the most entertaining, but neither is Mourinho's, and people have no problem hailing him as a great manager. Allardyce isn't as good, but he's certainly underrated as a tactician.

All that said, I've a soft spot for the man due to TheBigSam parody twitter account, which is absolutely brilliant.

Veteran Member

Tributes have been paid after the sudden death of respected radio commentator David Oates, aged 50.
    Oates, who worked for the BBC for more than 25 years, died in hospital on Sunday following a short illness.
    Best known for football and rugby league commentaries, he was a lifelong Blackpool FC supporter and a keen runner.
    The broadcaster had recently left BBC Sport and was working as a freelance radio journalist.
    Oates joined the BBC in 1986 as sports editor at BBC Radio Manchester and doubled up as the station's Manchester United reporter.

Veteran Member

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has lodged an appeal against a tax tribunal ruling in favour of Rangers' use of Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs).

HMRC had claimed the scheme, which was used from 2001 to 2010 to make £47.65m in payments to players and staff in the form of tax-free loans, was illegal.

Rangers disputed this and a First Tier Tax Tribunal (FTT) ruled the scheme did not breach tax law.

The case will now be heard at a Upper Tier Tax Tribunal (UTT).

HMRC said on Monday that it had been granted leave to appeal against the FTT decision and that the appeal had subsequently been filed.

If the dispute is not settled at the UTT, it is possible that it may go all the way to the Supreme Court - a process that could take years.

The FTT, before three judges, concluded in November, by a majority of two to one, that the EBT payments were loans, not earnings, and so were not liable for income tax.

Veteran Member

Stoke will hold out for £15m from Manchester United for 25-year-old goalkeeper Asmir Begovic this summer.

Manchester City will put the money they received for striker Mario Balotelli, 22, towards a summer signing of either Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 27, or Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, 26.

Newcastle are set to renew their interest in on-loan Liverpool striker Andy Carroll, 24, in the summer, when he returns to Merseyside from West Ham.

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is ready to return to Chelsea to replace under-pressure interim manager Rafa Benitez.

Tottenham are worried that striker Jermain Defoe, 30, could be out for up to two months with ankle ligament damage suffered in their win over West Brom on Sunday.

Southampton striker Rickie Lambert, 30, has revealed his disappointment at missing out on an England call-up for the Brazil game.

Swansea striker Michu, 26, insists he will not dwell on his omission from the Spain squad to face Uruguay in Doha this week.

Birmingham boss Lee Clark has backed up West Ham owner David Sullivan's claim that agents are out of control.

Kris Commons, 29, is at the centre of a penalty storm after Raith defender Simon Mensing accused the winger of being "clever" to win a spot-kick in Celtic's Scottish Cup win at Stark's Park.

West Brom outcast Peter Odemwingie, 31, apologised on Twitter for team-mate Goran Popov, 28, after the defender was shown a red card for spitting at Tottenham's 22-year-old full-back Kyle Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Stoke will hold out for £15m from Manchester United for 25-year-old goalkeeper Asmir Begovic this summer.

Manchester City will put the money they received for striker Mario Balotelli, 22, towards a summer signing of either Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 27, or Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao, 26.

Newcastle are set to renew their interest in on-loan Liverpool striker Andy Carroll, 24, in the summer, when he returns to Merseyside from West Ham.

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is ready to return to Chelsea to replace under-pressure interim manager Rafa Benitez.

Tottenham are worried that striker Jermain Defoe, 30, could be out for up to two months with ankle ligament damage suffered in their win over West Brom on Sunday.

Southampton striker Rickie Lambert, 30, has revealed his disappointment at missing out on an England call-up for the Brazil game.

Swansea striker Michu, 26, insists he will not dwell on his omission from the Spain squad to face Uruguay in Doha this week.

Birmingham boss Lee Clark has backed up West Ham owner David Sullivan's claim that agents are out of control.

Kris Commons, 29, is at the centre of a penalty storm after Raith defender Simon Mensing accused the winger of being "clever" to win a spot-kick in Celtic's Scottish Cup win at Stark's Park.

West Brom outcast Peter Odemwingie, 31, apologised on Twitter for team-mate Goran Popov, 28, after the defender was shown a red card for spitting at Tottenham's 22-year-old full-back Kyle Walker.
    Now that would make the next Manchester derby interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Aye, here's a firsthand account from a fan.

Depressing stuff, yet sadly predictable.
    It's worth remembering that in 98 when Hoddle left him out the England squad for the World Cup the reasons weren't just his form, but his health and whether sticking him in a hotel with a load of footballers in France would have been a great idea. At the time Chris Evans great answer was to take him out on the piss.

Anyone with any knowledge of football knows what's coming as it's happened before with players like Baxter and Best, but the subject of alcoholism (and to make it worse, Gazza's also a depressive) in players still seems to be a subject nobody wants to speak about.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Well their squad is getting better each year, They remind me of Everton and possibly Stoke.
    To break into the top five or six you need to either be David Moyes, or spunk lots and lots of money, and Al Feyed isn't willing to do that anymore. The top six is now essentially a closed shop with the top two or three being a closed shop within that.