Page 62 of 121 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine~! View Post
    Man City need fining (not that they'll give a toss) for their fan behavior at the death.
    They need points docking because that's the only way clubs will sort out some of these problems (I've not seen the incident so can't say much on it) but Ferguson needs to be wary about getting on his high horse when supporters of Man Utd also have form. Fair play though to Ferdinand for dismissing this and not giving the cretin who injured him any more kicks.

A big part of the problem is how parts of the media, and people within the clubs whip these games up so you get the sort of bile and hatred between fans which really is getting to the point where it's become ridiculous to watch how these sets of fans who should have so much in common hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Barcelona's Lionel Messi has set the record for most goals in a calendar year by scoring his 86th goal of 2012.
    The 25-year-old Argentine overhauled Gerd Mueller's tally of 85 - set in 1972 - to set a new benchmark which includes goals for club and country.
    Muller was probably one of the first strikers who made me want to watch football when I was young but I never thought anyone would ever beat his record, even taking into account players play so much more football now than in the past. But Messi did and that's truly astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Benitez has...ugh, forget it.
    Good win for united, I've realised however Hart's been let down too many times this season by his 'World class' defence, Kompany vs real madrid, now, whose idea was it to have Nasri in the wall? He's the most overrated player!
    I've watched Man City twice this season down the pub and both times I didn't notice that Nasri was on the pitch til half time. As for Man City's defence, Mancini persists in not sticking with the central defence that did him well last season so Lescott is nowhere to be seen and Kolo Toure gets match time when he's clearly not good enough for what Mancini is trying to build any more. Though I do think Mancini has been acting weird this season, not to mention he looks like he really wants to be elsewhere.

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    They need points docking because that's the only way clubs will sort out some of these problems (I've not seen the incident so can't say much on it) but Ferguson needs to be wary about getting on his high horse when supporters of Man Utd also have form. Fair play though to Ferdinand for dismissing this and not giving the cretin who injured him any more kicks.
    I'd love Man City to be docked points (for obvious reasons), but just don't see it happening. Something does need to be done though, definitely.

Oh, and well done to Joe Hart as well, I've got to say.

A big part of the problem is how parts of the media, and people within the clubs whip these games up so you get the sort of bile and hatred between fans which really is getting to the point where it's become ridiculous to watch how these sets of fans who should have so much in common hate each other.
    That's true too. Passion is one thing, but it's gone way over the top.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

This is not the same sort of violence that was rife in the 80's and still crops up, this is something entirely different which frankly I can't fully get my head round after some 30 odd years of supporting the game and it really isn't helped when you see pish like the front page of today's Mirror.

https://twitter.com/i/#!/DailyMirror...com%2FvY0VOBr5

I was watching Sky Sports this morning and there was a section on bringing back the pens in stadiums. Now, I can kind of see the attraction from a traditional point of view, especially if it means a lower ticket price, but it got me wondering, does it mean more tickets being sold? how does one determine how many people in an area? is there age/size restrictions? The cynical part of me thinks it is just a way for owners to get more money from supporters. Can you guys help by explaining this?
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

If you mean terracing then yes, it can and should be brought back because you might actually get some atmosphere in some English grounds again, and if it works in Germany then there's no reason not to here. Plus Scotland are looking to bring in safe-standing areas, but the problem lies with clubs who will either use it as an excuse to herd in fans like they did back in the 70's and 80's, or use it an an excuse to dump ordinary fans in there while opening up stands for more corporate seating.

Muller was probably one of the first strikers who made me want to watch football when I was young but I never thought anyone would ever beat his record, even taking into account players play so much more football now than in the past. But Messi did and that's truly astonishing.
    Sid Lowe in The Guardian wrote a good article on Messi this week. Put it nicely when he said that Messi makes brilliance seem everyday - so many of his goals would be career highlights for most players. The things he does with a football are staggering.

And he's only bloody 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    I was watching Sky Sports this morning and there was a section on bringing back the pens in stadiums. Now, I can kind of see the attraction from a traditional point of view, especially if it means a lower ticket price, but it got me wondering, does it mean more tickets being sold? how does one determine how many people in an area? is there age/size restrictions? The cynical part of me thinks it is just a way for owners to get more money from supporters. Can you guys help by explaining this?
    As Mob says, there's no real reason not to bring back terracing. It's all about how clubs handle it - there has to be control over how many people are in there. You're right to be cynical, but I'm told terracing was superb for the atmosphere in grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    I'm told terracing was superb for the atmosphere in grounds.
    Probably I've wittered on about it a lot but taking aside the cold, the piss running over your shoes, the shite Scotch Pies/Clarks Pies/pasties, and the bore who would go on about how 'this was their place to stand' even though they had no mates, they were fucking amazing places. You can't be a tourist when you're standing up and you have to take part in the game which is something you see less and less in grounds in this country. Look at the Emirates, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and even Anfield and St James's Park are starting to lose their sound which is a pity as they're two amazingly atmospheric grounds.

Look at Dortmund's ground, it's bloody amazing and there's nothing in the UK like it in terms of atmosphere. That's what's been lost from the game here. That sense of community and genuine love for a club.

My dad talks a lot about going to Parkhead with his dad. He was there for a few European ties and despite being dangerously overcrowded he loved every second of it.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

He hasn't invested in the long term future of the team. Yes, he's spent endless amounts of cash to buy name players for short term gain, but the youth team is where you have long and lasting success, along with a stable management. That's of of the simple reasons Arsenal and Man Utd have managed to sustain their time at the top of a decreasing pool of successful teams in English football in that they have https://soundcloud.com/joeclark168/kongwo managers who realise this is the only way to carry on winning five, ten, 20 years in the future. It's simply not a sustainable plan for ensuring for a successful club over the years.
    Who knows if that's the case, I was taking issue with your laughable idea that you know what's going on at Chelsea, and your representation of Abramovich as someone who needs the pin-money from youth sales to keep his interest or whatever nonsense you were saying. Abramovich gives no interviews, our youth-system is flourishing. Allow your Chelsea rubbish, you're smarter than this, sounding like a tabloid.

Still, Partick are doing OK.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

If you mean terracing then yes, it can and should be brought back
    No, it shouldn't. Some fans are still too violent.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clarkie View Post
    Who knows if that's the case, I was taking issue with your laughable idea that you know what's going on at Chelsea, and your representation of Abramovich as someone who needs the pin-money from youth sales to keep his interest or whatever nonsense you were saying. Abramovich gives no interviews, our youth-system is flourishing. Allow your Chelsea rubbish, you're smarter than this, sounding like a tabloid.
    I didn't suggest he needs the pin money but it does help balance the books which is what the club needs, but if you can defend Chelsea's youth policy as something that brings forward young players which bed themselves into the first team then go on. This was the point I was making and you're ignoring.
    Still, Partick are doing OK.
    Considering we've got no money and SPL and English sides are circling round our manager, I'll take what we get.

No, it shouldn't. Some fans are still too violent.
    You have violent fans in Germany too. However if you look at some of the proposals Germany are looking to bring in, these already exist in the UK but to dismiss safe standing is missing an opportunity to bring back fans who have been priced out of football grounds.

Also, I watched the Chelsea game at work today while doing 'research'. Luiz makes a much better midfielder than a defender. In fact, he was the man of the match, so Chelsea fans should be praising Benetiz for this?

Will someone please stop Robbie Savage talking about football?