Page 47 of 121 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

Police have started an investigation after a fan made what appeared to be a racist gesture in Chelsea's League Cup win over Manchester United.
    Pictures appear to show the man making a 'monkey' gesture during Wednesday's fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge.
    United striker Danny Welbeck appeared to be the target of the alleged abuse after losing possession.
    Chelsea had already started their own investigation into the incident, saying they would examine the footage.
    "Police have received a complaint regarding alleged racist behaviour at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday," read a Metropolitan Police statement.
    "An investigation has been launched. There have been no arrests and enquiries continue."
    A Chelsea spokesman said: "If we have sufficient evidence we will take the strongest possible action, including supporting criminal prosecution."
    The incident comes after the Blues accused referee Mark Clattenburg of using "inappropriate language" towards midfielder John Mikel Obi in Sunday's Premier League match against United. The west London club has made a formal complaint to the Football Association against Clattenburg.
    Earlier this year, Chelsea imposed a lifetime ban on a supporter who admitted racially abusing former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

Veteran Member

Liverpool are monitoring Theo Walcott's contract dispute at Arsenal and Reds boss Brendan Rodgers could use the £10m he has been promised for transfers at Anfield to make a bid for the 23-year-old England forward.

Chelsea's pursuit of 24-year-old Brazilian midfielder Paulinho, who is also wanted by Inter Milan, may be doomed after his club Corinthians dismissed rumours he will be sold.

Having signed Jan Vertonghen in the close season, Tottenham are eyeing another Belgian defender playing for Ajax, with £8m-rated 23-year-old Toby Alderweireld their latest target.

Manchester City's out-of-favour defender Kolo Toure, 31, has revealed he would like to play in France. (I'm guessing you quite like Paris too)

France midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 23, admits he is interested in a move to Newcastle United when his Toulouse contract expires next summer.

Everton could move for Poland striker Arkadiusz Milik, 18, after the Gornik Zabrze player became the youngest leading scorer in Europe.

Arsenal are looking to sign Croatia Under-17 attacking midfielder Ante Roguljic, 16, with Arsene Wenger ready to pay £1.5m for the NK Adriatic Split player.

West Ham are considering a move for 21-year-old Croatia striker Andrej Kramaric, currently on loan at Lokomotiva from Dinamo Zagreb.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini reportedly held talks with Monaco with a view to joining them last season.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger criticises Chelsea's decision to publicise their complaint about referee Mark Clattenburg - saying the allegations have "little proof".

Former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish says the controversial decision for the team to wear T-shirts in support of Luis Suarez in his race-case last season was not his idea.

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor believes referees deserve more credit from players, managers and supporters.

Arsene Wenger says Robin van Persie turned down an offer from Premier League champions Manchester City to join Manchester United. City are thought to have offered a £300,000-a-week salary to the Dutchman.

Tottenham fear £15m midfielder Mousa Dembele could be sidelined until Christmas with a hip injury.

Norwich are in danger of losing midfielder Wes Hoolahan, 30, after stalling contract talks with the Republic of Ireland international.

Spurs defender Kyle Walker insists he would never dive - because he was born and raised in the north of England.

Oldham boss Paul Dickov says the Sheffield United fans who claimed his midfielder Lee Croft racially abused a ball boy at Bramall Lane are "mindless idiots".

Former Spurs striker Robbie Keane, now a team-mate of David Beckham at LA Galaxy, has been described as an "unidentified fan" in the caption for a picture taken with Beckham and comedian Russell Brand.

The Dutch Football Federation has released an advert featuring a man wearing a closet in an attempt to promote the acceptance of gay footballers.

Actor Kelsey Grammer, best known for playing Dr Crane in award-winning US sitcoms Cheers and Frasier, could turn up at Carlisle's Brunton Park ground to watch their FA Cup first-round tie with Ebbsfleet. Ebbsfleet striker Phil Walsh, 28, is Grammer's brother-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgaffer View Post
    Steve Bull and Matt Le Tissier, two names I always think of when talking about players wasted by England.
    If Le Tissier had played for Man Utd rather than Southampton he'd have won as many caps as his legs would allow. And while not on the same level, I always wondered how Chris Sutton never got a look-in, especially when he and Shearer were at Blackburn.

Actually, this reminds me of something I heard a few years back. Apparently Steve Bruce never won a single England cap.
    Police have started an investigation after a fan made what appeared to be a racist gesture in Chelsea's League Cup win over Manchester United.
    Pictures appear to show the man making a 'monkey' gesture during Wednesday's fourth-round tie at Stamford Bridge.
    "Appear to be". Aye, there's serious doubt about what that tosser was doing.

That man needs a good kicking! No doubt he cheered when ramires and Sturridge scored. Hyprocrite
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Steve Bull and Matt Le Tissier, two names I always think of when talking about players wasted by England.

Completely. Bull was a better player than Lineker, and more direct than Beardsley (who also seems now to be slipping in rank but he's still one of the best players I've ever seen) but he played for Wolves. Le Tissier was more talented than Gazza and nearly up with the likes of Hoddle, Brooking and Keegan in terms of talent, but again he stayed at Southampton rather than follow the money. The second goal in this compilation is just sublime.

Former Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish says the controversial decision for the team to wear T-shirts in support of Luis Suarez in his race-case last season was not his idea.
    Though as manage you could have stopped them wearing them Kenny.
    Spurs defender Kyle Walker insists he would never dive - because he was born and raised in the north of England.
    Oh bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lynch View Post
    If Le Tissier had played for Man Utd rather than Southampton he'd have won as many caps as his legs would allow. And while not on the same level, I always wondered how Chris Sutton never got a look-in, especially when he and Shearer were at Blackburn.
    Sutton wasn't as crap as Andy Cole was in an England shirt, but he was just unlucky to be playing when Owen, Shearer, Sheringham and Ferdinand were their first choice strikers.

Veteran Member

Not to mention Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore all trying to force their way into the starting lineup too.

Ex-Football Association chief executive Mark Palios has called for referees' microphones to be broadcast to fans in the wake of the Mark Clattenburg row.
    Police and the FA are investigating Chelsea's allegation that Clattenburg used inappropriate language, including racial words, towards two players.
    "I see no reason for not recording the conversations," Palios told BBC 5 live.
    "If we had the recordings we would have the answer to [whether Chelsea's claims are true]."
    Palios believes broadcasting the dialogue between players and referees in a manner similar to rugby union would benefit the FA's "Respect" campaign by highlighting the abuse officials have to put up with.

I think they tried this before and stopped it since it broadcast a constant stream of f-words.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Sutton wasn't as crap as Andy Cole was in an England shirt, but he was just unlucky to be playing when Owen, Shearer, Sheringham and Ferdinand were their first choice strikers.
    Not to mention Ian Wright, Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore all trying to force their way into the starting lineup too.
    It was stupidly competitive at the time. But for a season or so Shearer and Sutton together were unplayable, so it always surprised me that nobody tried to recreate that for England. Obviously after his Chelsea stint Sutton was written off in England, but before then he always seemed worth a shout.
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    I think they tried this before and stopped it since it broadcast a constant stream of f-words.
    David Ellery wasn't it? IIRC it was done for a TV documentary, and the abuse he took was abysmal. I'm surprised more referees aren't accused of "abusive language". The stick they take on the pitch would see most people start punching.

It was stupidly competitive at the time. But for a season or so Shearer and Sutton together were unplayable, so it always surprised me that nobody tried to recreate that for England. Obviously after his Chelsea stint Sutton was written off in England, but before then he always seemed worth a shout.

Fowler was the player who really suffered from there being so many quality strikers for England at the time as he was the best natural English striker of the 90's, but he was either injured or had to cope with playing back-up to Shearer/Sheringham or Shearer/Owen who were both better partnerships than Shearer/Fowler. Sutton though just didn't enter into the frame.
    David Ellery wasn't it? IIRC it was done for a TV documentary, and the abuse he took was abysmal. I'm surprised more referees aren't accused of "abusive language". The stick they take on the pitch would see most people start punching.
    Some of the abuse they receive would see the police being involved if it were outside a football pitch. It was Don Revie's brilliant, but filthy Leeds side that really started the modern era of players abusing referees and that opened it up with Wimbledon famously being the side in the 80's (especially that wee shite Wise) gobbing off to refs and making their lives hell, but if was Ferguson's Man Utd side and Wenger's first Arsenal side that refined the hassling of referee's to a fine art to a point where stuff like this happened all the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KeaneReferee_468x402.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	103786

Yes, the 'respect agenda' means you don't see this as often now, but football needs to take a page out of rugby's book and make it so that only the captain can speak to the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Yes, the 'respect agenda' means you don't see this as often now, but football needs to take a page out of rugby's book and make it so that only the captain can speak to the ref.
    I thought the FA brought that rule in a few seasons ago? Obviously it's not being rigorously enforced, but I do think the rule is out there.

I don't think Everton nee another striker, anichebe is decent and vellios is getting there. They need a CM.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

I thought the FA brought that rule in a few seasons ago? Obviously it's not being rigorously enforced, but I do think the rule is out there.
    I had a check and there's a vague ruling there but it's not written in stone.

Meanwhile ITV's wonderful coverage of the FA Cup continues with nowt as the game they were going to show has been cancelled and they didn't have a back-up arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusmaac View Post
    If rugby players can adapt so can footballers.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox