Page 240 of 690 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 10341

Quote Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
    For some reason, Medicare have consistently sent me duplicated (as in two cards in a week), outdated (as in they expire within days of recieving them) medicare cards for the past few years.
    That's odd.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Okay, you've honestly surprised me with that, and I take back my earlier snarkiness.

Here in Australia we need a Medicare card in order to access publicly funded health services. In order to obtain this, you need to provide the necessary ID documentation. It seems to work quite well. I can't see why a similar system wouldn't work in the US.
    Our medical insurance card just started having a photo on it last year.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ambient_Malice View Post
    For some reason, Medicare have consistently sent me duplicated (as in two cards in a week), outdated (as in they expire within days of recieving them) medicare cards for the past few years.
    Odd. You think that maybe they want you to die?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Remember that scene in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes where the same panicked crowd supposedly flees in various cities?

Syrian state TV has shown the same "outraged citizen" echoing the regime's talking points at least 19 times.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Here in Australia we need a Medicare card in order to access publicly funded health services. In order to obtain this, you need to provide the necessary ID documentation. It seems to work quite well. I can't see why a similar system wouldn't work in the US.
    Yeah but we can do all sorts of things that Americans are apparently incapable of, like having a 5% unemployment rate and a $17/hour minimum wage; reducing the murder rate by restricting ccess to handguns and semiauto rilfes and imposing a carbon tax while remaining one of the fastest growing economies in the developed world.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Kevin Page, Canada's first Parliamentary Budget Officer, is stepping down - with a record of saying things the Harper administration would rather he didn't, such as:

For starters, there’s the not-so-small matter of the government’s annual deficit ($56 billion in 2009-10), which the Conservatives forecast would rapidly decline without the need for either tax increases or service cuts, but which Page cautioned had become a structural deficit. The result? The government has announced $11 billion in annual cuts.

War — never an inexpensive proposition — is another example. The government said the Afghanistan mission would cost $8 billion. Page said it was nearer to $18.1 billion. Page was right.

And who can forget those F-35 jets? The government said they would cost $9 billion. The Parliamentary Budget Officer, after exposing some financial finagling that conveniently left out decades of maintenance costs, said they would cost $30 billion. Once again, Page was right.

Needless to say, none of these attempts to speak truth to power endeared Page to the prime minister who hired him, and who likely expected he would, if not toe the party line, at least not rock the ship of state.

But the real test of honesty and integrity has come with the implementation of the Harper government’s austerity cuts. Can’t afford to maintain Old Age Security benefits for 65-year-olds? Well, actually, yes we can, said Page.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Morsi has called Parliamentary elections starting in April.

Prominent opposition figure Mohammed al Baradei says elections are "a recipe for disaster" which would carry more weight if he hadn't repeatedly called Morsi a dictator for ruling without Parliament after the Courts invalidated the previous elections.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/index....ng-on-April-27
    Last edited by Iangould; 02-22-2013 at 03:24 PM.

that's a problem for a number of Americans, be it birth records lost or misplaced, also some people outright refuse to "register with the government" - a phrase I heard watching a show about hillbillies in Kentucky
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    Anyone still sitting back going 'we don't need to invest more in renewable energy'' is a fucking idiot.
    Worse - we have had two governments that have said "yeah, we need some more of that" but wimped out of actually doing it. Because waa waa wind farms are ugly waaa waaa.

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    the sex criems that were routinely ignored.
    Turns out Sheriff Joe's "posses" that were going to protect schools from non-existent shooters have at least one sex offender in them. Who has been working for the sheriff's office for years.
    "We must fight on!"

Worse - we have had two governments that have said "yeah, we need some more of that" but wimped out of actually doing it. Because waa waa wind farms are ugly waaa waaa
    here in the US, its more like politicans don't want to lose the massive campaign donations that oil and gas companies pass out to keep renewable energy off the table
    Support your local roller derby league

Prominent opposition figure Mohammed al Baradei says elections are "a recipe for disaster" which would carry more weight if he hadn't repeatedly called Morsi a dictator for ruling without Parliament after the Courts invalidated the previous elections.
    Here was me thinking that new elections was what swathes of the opposition wanted, on account of them loudly saying they wanted a new government.
    "We must fight on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Here was me thinking that new elections was what swathes of the opposition wanted, on account of them loudly saying they wanted a new government.
    To be fair, what they want is a new interim government with nonpartisan technocrats holding key posts to oversee elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    here in the US, its more like politicans don't want to lose the massive campaign donations that oil and gas companies pass out to keep renewable energy off the table
    I'm not sure if it's better or worse here - the government is mealy-mouthed because potential voters will throw a fit over their views of the countryside being spoiled. Or, at least, their newspapers tell them it'll be spoiled. On the one hand, that's based on the views of voters; on the other, it's a stupid view, anything you build anywhere will spoil the view/mood/whatever for someone.
    "We must fight on!"

To be fair, what they want is a new interim government with nonpartisan technocrats holding key posts to oversee elections.
    Which doesn't really seem what people fought and bled for in the revolution either.
    "We must fight on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Kevin Page, Canada's first Parliamentary Budget Officer, is stepping down - with a record of saying things the Harper administration would rather he didn't, such as:
    Even conservative-leaning papers like the National Post are lamenting that Page's replacement will almost certainly be some wet blanket Tory yes-man.
    Smoke me a kipper, skipper.