Page 227 of 692 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 10372

Holy Cow anyone see the tornado that hit Mississippi!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Seen on the BBC, apparently:

"I'm sure Uter's around here somewhere..."
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Obama wants to drastically reduce the number of nuclear weapons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/11/us...arms.html?_r=0
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Ah, who needs that much anyway.

Waste of money.

Italian media are reporting that Josef Ratzinger is set to step down as pope, making him the second pope only in history to voluntarily resign.
    Last edited by the4thpip; 02-11-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Pope Benedict XVI is resigning due to health problems. Seems like he has had a very short tenure.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Now, that's a sensible and reasonable choice.

The previous one was a good man but damn, he was in such a poor shape around the end. That was painful to watch.

Better to resign.

Gonna be an unusual situation for the Papal conclave. Usually they do not have the old guy looking over their shoulders.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

So, Peter the Roman on deck? AAAAAAAARMAGEDDON!
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

It's a shame he's resigning, the world needs more dead Popes and less alive ones.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Heh. A German cartoon calendar yesterday showed an image of the pope winning the lottery and thinking "I am so gonna quit tomorrow.!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	756991_1_articlepopup_karik3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	108433
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Gonna be an unusual situation for the Papal conclave. Usually they do not have the old guy looking over their shoulders.
    Unusual, but what standing can he have now? His reign wasn't considered a highlight for the Church by any means, and he didn't follow through to the end.

I can't help but wonder if on some level he's quitely paving the way for the Church to move forward with gay marriage and allow priests to marry. It's wild speculation on my part with no real basis. But it's odd that he's quitting with no pressing health issues. Makes you wonder if he's had a moral crisis and is ready for a change that he can't bring about?
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Unusual, but what standing can he have now? His reign wasn't considered a highlight for the Church by any means, and he didn't follow through to the end.

I can't help but wonder if on some level he's quitely paving the way for the Church to move forward with gay marriage and allow priests to marry. It's wild speculation on my part with no real basis. But it's odd that he's quitting with no pressing health issues. Makes you wonder if he's had a moral crisis and is ready for a change that he can't bring about?
    He is in his mid 80s and has been looking frail and ill for years. He's recently come out against LGBT rights, again. I think you are way off on this one.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    He is in his mid 80s and has been looking frail and ill for years. He's recently come out against LGBT rights, again. I think you are way off on this one.
    Probably! I don't know that he's looking that much worse than he did before.

And you're right, I could be way off. But there are older people who reach a point where they realize that change needs to come aobut if they're not the ones to do it.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

I think its a largely political/PR move

the Church knows its public reputation is in the can, has been for years, and if they don't do something soon its going to cost them in the long run
    Support your local roller derby league