Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Bryan Talbot Unleashes His "Cherubs!"

Bryan Talbot spoke with CBR about his and artist Mark Stafford's upcoming "Cherubs!" graphic novel which sees release in October from Dark Horse, from its underground comics influences to its streak of absurdist humor.

Full article here.

Bryan Talbot is one of the true living legends in comics. Can't wait to pick this up.

I'm scratching my head and wondering if I've ever read anything written by Bryan Talbot when he didn't do the artwork as well.

I don't think I ever have (though I have read 2000AD stuff where he did artwork for somebody's else's writing.)

Like sound of it, pretty sure I'll buy it, so it will be a "first" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    I'm scratching my head and wondering if I've ever read anything written by Bryan Talbot when he didn't do the artwork as well.
    He wrote a few issues of The Dreaming. I know Pete Doherty was one of the artists, and I think Dave Taylor (or maybe Paul Johnson-- I always get the two confused for some reason) may have done an issue as well. Not all that impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    He wrote a few issues of The Dreaming. I know Pete Doherty was one of the artists, and I think Dave Taylor (or maybe Paul Johnson-- I always get the two confused for some reason) may have done an issue as well. Not all that impressive.
    Its tough work giving answers, because one answer often leads to another question...

Here goes. I've often been tempted to chase up back issues of The Dreaming. If you've read large chunks of it, what did you make of it?? (Not looking for a detailed analysis.... just a one-liner such as "really good", "average", "bad", whatever.)

Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    Its tough work giving answers, because one answer often leads to another question...

Here goes. I've often been tempted to chase up back issues of The Dreaming. If you've read large chunks of it, what did you make of it?? (Not looking for a detailed analysis.... just a one-liner such as "really good", "average", "bad", whatever.)
    Mixed bag. It's not bad, per se, but really unfocused to start. Some great talents telling some decent stories, but as much as any book really had a chance in the shadow of Sandman, it was lower/mid-tier Vertigo in terms of quality. Caitlin Kiernan comes on during the second year and gives the book more of a direction, but I didn't really enjoy her work, despite some lovely art from Christian Hogaard.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Mixed bag. It's not bad, per se, but really unfocused to start. Some great talents telling some decent stories, but as much as any book really had a chance in the shadow of Sandman, it was lower/mid-tier Vertigo in terms of quality. Caitlin Kiernan comes on during the second year and gives the book more of a direction, but I didn't really enjoy her work, despite some lovely art from Christian Hogaard.
    Thanks for that.

And... a complete tangent... when I was out walking yesterday suddenly got a feeling that I was wrong to say earlier that I'd probably never read anything that Bryan Talbot wrote where artwork was done by somebody else. Began to suspect that when he worked on "Neil Gaiman's Teknophage" (later Phage) that he started as artist (with Rick Veitch writing) but later on scripted. Just checked... that was case, with David Pugh doing artwork.

If you've never read that... worth a look maybe.... I certainly enjoyed it greatly (light hearted adventure spoof poking fun at some aspects of capitalism)... though I've never seen it get good reviews.