Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MichikoS View Post
    I am fascinated by the enormous diversity of opinion concerning disliked super-villains. It seems one person's bete noir is another person's favorite. Really weird. I am guessing these passions stem from the personality quirks of each poster, though CEI-U's hatred of Green Goblin is uncharacteristically unqualified. I had no idea, Kurt!
    It's a pretty irrational stance, Michi, I admit. I wish I could point to a single factor like "He murdered Gwen!" or "Pumpkin bombs are lame!" but no such luck. And I can't think of another baddie who has the same effect on me.* But you wanna hear the nuttiest part? I like the Goblins as presented in the Sam Raimi movies!

Cei-U!
    I summon the psychoanalysis!

*Except, as mentioned before, the Beyonder, who turns me into a foaming-at-the-mouth berserker of loathing.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I used to like Green Goblin when he was a cackling madman tha just flew around throwing pumpkin bombs. Then he killed Gwen and died. Then he came back. Sometimes between dyining and coming back he built up an unearned reputation of being Spider-man's greatest nemesis and suddenly became this completly evil master manipulator that was in charge of or behind everything that was going down and I just couldn't stand the guy anymore.

It's even worse when they try to update his costume and make him look cooler, more modern, or stick armor on the guy.

I loved him in the Sam Raimi movie though and I have no problem with he costume they gave him. (Sure it could have used a touch of purple or at least black to break it up some, but it didn't look bad.)
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Which reminds me, I also really and truly despise the Black Cat. She made the mid-80s Spidey titles unreadable in my eyes. Yuck.

Well yeah, there you go! I love the Black Cat...or at least, I did. I've found her slightly annoying since the powers that be wiped out years of character progression with the Brand New Day reboot clusterf**k. Talking of which, can I name Joe Quesada as a comic villain I really dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    Spidey's 1970s villains are as bad as the 60s ones are good. Jackal, Tarantula, Grizzly, Mindworm-- there's no surprise that few of these get revived.

Now you hush your mouth! Nobody disses the Mindworm while I'm around, ya hear me? Nobody!
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City Kick-Ass 3 Star Wars: Dark Times Superior Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I used to like Green Goblin when he was a cackling madman tha just flew around throwing pumpkin bombs. Then he killed Gwen and died. Then he came back. Sometimes between dyining and coming back he built up an unearned reputation of being Spider-man's greatest nemesis and suddenly became this completly evil master manipulator that was in charge of or behind everything that was going down and I just couldn't stand the guy anymore.

It's even worse when they try to update his costume and make him look cooler, more modern, or stick armor on the guy.

I loved him in the Sam Raimi movie though and I have no problem with he costume they gave him. (Sure it could have used a touch of purple or at least black to break it up some, but it didn't look bad.)
    Yeah, I understand that bit too. As a cackling, slightly Halloween-themed loon he can be fun. As Norman the mastermind, not so much. I think part of the problem is that characters who are connected to major moments and die during them get a reputation built up around them. Norman kind of is to Marvel villians what Barry Allen was to DC heroes. They built Barry up as some kind of saint when he was probably the closest thing to an everyman Silver Age DC had. Just a nice, mostly average guy who wanted to help people. But I digress.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by MichikoS View Post
    Personally, I can't think of any villain that I just plain dislike, and can't appreciate on some level. Even the lame ones.

Michi
    That's how I feel. I enjoy a good yarn with pretty much all of the villains mention above. Good storytelling can rehabilitate questionable characters all the time.

But as an aside... The Red Skull is marvel's greatest super-villain in my book. And Green Goblin is great, but Rhino and Sandman are greater.

And Green Goblin is great, but Rhino and Sandman are greater.
    Rhino and Sandman are one of my favorite kinds of villains. Powers of a God and brains of a brick.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    Also, why was that Golden Age crook The Gambler any sort of threat? I've never read his earliest stories, just that JSA story and the revivals. What was his power: to scare people by looking like a riverboat gamber?
    Really? I like a slightly wacky theme villain. He has no powers. He has to outhink the heroes and use his gadgetry.

Much more interesting than some mutant from the future with vaguely defined powers and no goal other than to rack up a huge bodycount.

Quote Originally Posted by JKCarrier View Post
    I tend to dislike "evil twins" -- the villains who have the exact same powers/gimmick as the hero. It just seems like a lack of imagination on the writer's part. Bizarro is ok, when he's played for laughs. But Black Adam, Reverse Flash, Sinestro...all very dull.
    Same here. And I'm mad bored with Red Skull. Not only is he your "evil twin" kind of villain, he even has a body cloned from Cap. And Nazis were already passe by the '80s. Eeeevil isn't actually a personality.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Same here. And I'm mad bored with Red Skull. Not only is he your "evil twin" kind of villain, he even has a body cloned from Cap. And Nazis were already passe by the '80s. Eeeevil isn't actually a personality.
    I like the old school Simon and Kirby Red Skull, and the one from Lee and Kirby's Tales of Suspense. That guy had some serious villain chops. And Nazis are timeless (just check out Hellboy and B.P.R.D). Thankfully though, their villainy is largely confined to the funny books.

sorry, double post

Another vote for Lex Luthor. I much prefer the wacky psychos. Luther might be a genius but he's just an arrogant hater. Add that he's a frequently featured villian and it's the main reason why I dislike Superman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    I tolerated him in the Ditko days but once they revealed his true identity he lost whatever appeal he might've had for me. After that, I dreaded each new appearance. I was ecstatic when Conway killed him off but they just kept bringing him (or someone like him) back. I honestly don't think I can articulate what I hate about the Goblins other than "I just do." Sorry.

I never really cared much for Gladiator either, though I liked the attempt to reform him later.

Well, there you go. I like Mysterio, even though he was a major focus of the terrible Marv Wolfman run of Amazing. Which reminds me, I also really and truly despise the Black Cat. She made the mid-80s Spidey titles unreadable in my eyes. Yuck.

Loooooooooooooooooooove Bizarro (and, like dan b, I don't consider him a villain). He was one of my entries in the "Favorite Characters" Classics Christmas survey, after all.

Cei-U!
    Me tell lightning to go away!
    I thought the Black Cat was mainly around in the Peter Parker book. I don't remember her being having as big of a role in Amazing, but maybe my memory is failing, I was like 10 at the time. For me though it'd be a shame to miss out on the Roger Stern run in Amazing, Black Cat or no.. But then you mentioned disliking the Hobgoblin as well so that might be a non starter for you.
    Life looks better in black and white.

I like quite a few of the villains named so far (Apocalypse as written by Louise Simonson, I quite like for instance), though I do agree that seeing somebody like the Joker for the xth time can get tiresome. (He's completely unpredictable! He's trying to hit Gotham with poison-gas, hiding in the abandoned circus! Who could have known?).

My pet-peeve is with mind-control villains (The X-Men's Shadow King foremost). I like storytelling where both hero and villain (or protagonist and antagonist if you like that better) make their own choices and they take their responsibility for those choices. Mind-control is usually just lazy writing IMHO.

Speaking of mind control reminds me of the Purple man. I find him to be lame and It IS lazy writing .
    Life is what you make it.

Since no one else is doing it, I'll stick up here for the Reverse Flash. Look, here you had one of the most striking, streamlined costume designs of the Silver Age, and somebody on the Flash team--Infantino, Schwartz?--had the brilliant idea to see what it would look like if you simply swapped all the colors on it (and, while we're at it, reversed the direction of the emblem; wisely, they didn't go so far as to put the earpiece and boot-top wing accessories on backwards!) and voila! A new villain with a visual design almost as striking who fit perfectly with Infantino's cover design techniques, which so often relied on compositional reflections! The Reverse Flash looked irresistible on the covers, and I found him far more appealing than a visual double of the hero, which has of course been done to death.
    More recent iterations of the idea, specifically the Hunter Zolomon character, have failed (in my eyes) by making the costume, not quite a pure reversal, altering, for example, the eyepieces of the costume, and giving the character a different body type than the Flash. Maybe that's more "believable", but, to me, it ruins the effect, and I've never, ever been able to tolerate that character.
    It's funny, but when I saw this thread, I figured I could come up with choices easily--I've always been highly critical of super-villains, and the most over-exposed ones usually tire me out, but now I'm having a hard time bringing myself to nominate any of them. It seems like every one I consider (of those with whom I'm genuinely familiar, unlike X-Men villains such as Mr. Sinister who I've only heard of in passing) has some worthy characteristics when I really ponder them. I don't like Kanjar Ro, but that's because he's a twerp...but he's supposed to be a twerp, and a twerp that can challenge the JLA is a nifty idea, even if he's a bit aggravating to this reader. I can say I've never, to my recollection, really enjoyed a Penguin story, especially in recent decades, with his tiresome portrayal as an apparently above-board nightclub owner and secret underworld racketeer.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve