Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

http://www.amazon.ca/Saga-2-TP-Brian...5094889&sr=1-2

Volume 2 tpb..great, announce the deluxe edition collecting them both now please.

I think the next 5 issues of this arc are going to be what sets the standard for this book.
    I also have a feeling 8 and 9 will be key issues, #9 with The Will and The Stalk on it has me thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by FailureByDesign View Post
    http://www.amazon.ca/Saga-2-TP-Brian...5094889&sr=1-2

Volume 2 tpb..great, announce the deluxe edition collecting them both now please.
    My sentiments exactly. I'm dropping it in singles if they announce an OHC release.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I'm dropping it in singles if they announce an OHC release.
    Lol i caved man, my girlfriend asked if i wanted the TPB as a stocking filler and i agreed. If the OHC is at least announced before the second one is out in July then i will just pass the first on to friends for recommendation, if a OHC isn't announced by then il just continue to collect the series in TBP form as i dont like to re-buy trades and it will probably go on for 100+ issues anyway.

living in croatia, getting comics can be a bitch....this doesnt help me wit the fact that i am a professional comic artist swho is pretty much unable to read the work of others. yesterday, however i stumbled upon the first tpb of saga in the bookstore....and i am officially in love with this book. for many years i have been ranting how writers nowadays merely write plotpoints. saga has people...actual, flawed, imperfect, stupid and brilliant relateable people, who are drawn with real facial expressions....just...perfection

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    living in croatia, getting comics can be a bitch....this doesnt help me wit the fact that i am a professional comic artist swho is pretty much unable to read the work of others. yesterday, however i stumbled upon the first tpb of saga in the bookstore....and i am officially in love with this book. for many years i have been ranting how writers nowadays merely write plotpoints. saga has people...actual, flawed, imperfect, stupid and brilliant relateable people, who are drawn with real facial expressions....just...perfection
    Off Topic but dude, I absolutely love what I've seen of your work. It's pretty damn fantastic.

Glad you liked it! Question. is the book in Croatian or English?

english of course, i would have it no other way
    and thanx Personamanx, dunno if you saw me ever actually try, but Ravine comes pretty damn close to it XD
    anyhoo, back to topic, just had a geekout about the issue 8 preview...and i...dont...get..geekouts!

I bought the first trade and read it a few days ago, and my best description is "flawless." Usually when I write reviews I try to think of something negative to say, even if it's nitpicking, just to feel like I'm being objective...and I truly cannot think of one negative thing to say about this series.

Superb characters (every single one of them), world-building, sex, drama, family, humor, politics, action, adventure, sci-fi...it's the entire package. Staples' art is fabulous and a series like this shows why it's worth it to wait the extra time for one artist to do the whole thing.

I will continue to buy the series in trades (duh). The most I have liked an indie series since Alan Moore's Top 10, just that same spirit of endless creativity mixed with true heart.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

BANNED

My only wish is that the two protaginists could be more alien. But i guess they look like mithological creatures because it's easier to market the book that way.

I requested the first trade for Christmas based on the rave reviews here and elsewhere. I thought elements were fantastic and the story is fun and well paced, however the plot holes were so big they caused me to be confused at times and wonder if I was missing something.

To be clear, the art, world building, and characterization are indeed fantastic and fun and I share the enthusiasm for those elements and they carry the title for me and will have me come back for more. But I found the following aspects of the writing to be sloppy:

1) The major conflict of the plot is silly without an explanation. Love children of soldiers is extremely common place and are never considered a top concern. Now I was wondering if this was a messianic theme (Herod and baby Jesus and infant genocide, or Moses and Pharaoh and infant genocide), but the narrative dismissed that theme fairly early. Hazel is a normal person. So if some sort of prophecy or religious superstition is driving the zeal of the different sides, it would be nice to know that. Said another way, the mystery of why the family is being pursued by so many is a distraction rather than suspenseful for me.

2) The first escape from the garage had way too many questions raised for me. How did the moonies show up and why? How did Alana, Marko, and Hazel escape an intense close range firefight that wiped out both sides without injury? It was miraculous and we're not offered even the slightest hint of what was behind the miracle.

I'll leave it at that for now. If answers are provided to the above later, just tell me to be patient.

The above is interesting. You're drawn into the story and willing to overlook the plot points raised above.

I haven't read any of BKV's other stuff. Is his typical writing style more about characterization rather than plot?

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    1) The major conflict of the plot is silly without an explanation. Love children of soldiers is extremely common place and are never considered a top concern. Now I was wondering if this was a messianic theme (Herod and baby Jesus and infant genocide, or Moses and Pharaoh and infant genocide), but the narrative dismissed that theme fairly early. Hazel is a normal person. So if some sort of prophecy or religious superstition is driving the zeal of the different sides, it would be nice to know that. Said another way, the mystery of why the family is being pursued by so many is a distraction rather than suspenseful for me.

2) The first escape from the garage had way too many questions raised for me. How did the moonies show up and why? How did Alana, Marko, and Hazel escape an intense close range firefight that wiped out both sides without injury? It was miraculous and we're not offered even the slightest hint of what was behind the miracle.
    1) You pretty much answered your own question. It's not a story of a messiah baby. It's a story of two people whose people are at war and they are trying to raise a family. People want the baby dead not because it's a messiah but they honestly think Hazel is an abomination. It sounds to me you're trying/imagining the story one way when it's actually another way.

2) Can't answer why the moonies showed up. Keep in mind both of their forces were on the planet. Them showing up can happen, we just never got a reason. And honestly, who gives a crap? As for survival of the firefight? Is it REALLY that hard to accept that they got really lucky?

I think I made a mistake in offering a plot critique with my questions. It wasn't my intent to do that. I really just wanted to see if my questions were answered further on in the story.

If there is a further explanation as to why Landfall and Wreath are interested in Hazel (beyond she's an abomination), I would appreciate a reply. Maybe I know too much anthropology, but the whole human race is descended from love children of wars so I was looking for something exceptional to understand the plot.

Ignore the question about the first escape.

Hazel represents something that neither side wants -- Unity. She's a symbol of what the two sides of the conflict, working together, can create. That when they put aside their prejudices and their pettiness they can birth something beautiful.

It's precisely because they are prejudiced that they don't want others to start seeing that -- too firmly entrenched in their war, in their history, in their anger, and in the power that comes with a war torn state, I suspect.

Symbols are powerful things. Maybe the most powerful thing. And if they aren't controlled and directed, they can topple empires.

The whole thing doubles as an allegory for "The Industry", Hollywood. You have the corporate interests and the more artistic interest, with Freelancers working for both, or either. They hate each other, they are at war, and neither wants to cooperate with the other. BKV is saying that when you marry the more commercial, populist sensibility of the one with the expressive, artistic sensibility of the other, you get something 'fucking perfect'.

Finally, the story is of course an allegory for parenthood. The conflict is largely built to recreate - and literalize - that feeling that the whole world is out to get you and your child, and to create a set of circumstances in which he can show just how far parents will go to protect their child, how they deal with getting a babysitter, dealing with close minded parents (or parents in law), etc.

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blog...ssues-1-7.html
    Last edited by Desaad; 12-29-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    I think I made a mistake in offering a plot critique with my questions. It wasn't my intent to do that. I really just wanted to see if my questions were answered further on in the story.

If there is a further explanation as to why Landfall and Wreath are interested in Hazel (beyond she's an abomination), I would appreciate a reply. Maybe I know too much anthropology, but the whole human race is descended from love children of wars so I was looking for something exceptional to understand the plot.

Ignore the question about the first escape.
    I bolded the issue you're having here: Are we reading about the human race. No. I mean, yeah, it's entirely possible we'll see some kind of hidden thing about why so many people are after them later on, but for now, all we know and need to know is that both races take a taboo and high treason POW on the issue. And the implication from the story seem to be that this kind of union isn't common, perhaps even the first of it's kind. It's like asking "what's on the microfilm, anyway, that seems important" in a Hitchcock film. It's just the macgruffin really, and it's not that huge of importance until the work places it more directly in front of you.