Default Superman Writers

Hi, Guys!! I have been out of it for a while and have some questions about writers on Supertitles.

The first one is about a past writer. I recall Kurt Busiek being on a Supertitle around the end of one of the recent Crisis stunts/events. How was his run? Is it a recommended purchase?

The next question is about Warren Ellis. I really enjoyed seeing his interpretation of the Superman toys in that Justice League Classified story New Maps of Hell. Has he done any runs on any Superman books in the past?

That is it for now. Thanks for reading!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, Guys!! I have been out of it for a while and have some questions about writers on Supertitles.

The first one is about a past writer. I recall Kurt Busiek being on a Supertitle around the end of one of the recent Crisis stunts/events. How was his run? Is it a recommended purchase?

The next question is about Warren Ellis. I really enjoyed seeing his interpretation of the Superman toys in that Justice League Classified story New Maps of Hell. Has he done any runs on any Superman books in the past?

That is it for now. Thanks for reading!!
    Kurt is a good writer and his Superman was good but Matt Idelson the editor mucked up his run too. Trinity overall was bad though.

The New Krypton was mostly his idea but due to editors Geoff end up writing it and abandoning it to write Flash and so that there would be no clash with Geoff's Blackest Night they delayed New Krypton which killed its momentum and the event was cancelled which killed New Krypton too (which was Kurt;s idea basically).
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

Quote Originally Posted by super1man View Post
    Kurt is a good writer and his Superman was good but Matt Idelson the editor mucked up his run too. Trinity overall was bad though.
    Uh, Kurt Buisek never said that Matt Idelson messed with his run. So until he states otherwise, he didn't have problems with him.

The New Krypton was mostly his idea but due to editors Geoff end up writing it and abandoning it to write Flash and so that there would be no clash with Geoff's Blackest Night they delayed New Krypton which killed its momentum and the event was cancelled which killed New Krypton too (which was Kurt;s idea basically).
    That's not true either. "New Krypton" was both his and Geoff Johns idea, but they had not worked out all of the details, when he had left. Busiek left Superman because he was writing "Trinity" and couldn't keep up the pace of writing monthly books and a weekly series, since he was mostly writing the latter himself. "Blackest Night" had nothing to do with "New Krypton" other than a three issue mini-series. NK's problems had to do with the story being too long and drawn out and not handled right from the start. BN was not a factor at all. Poor sales killed the momentum.

Now, for the actual stories. Yes, I would recommend his run on Superman. It was a good effort. "Up, Up And Away", "Back In Action", "Camelot Falls" volumes one and two, "Redemption" (co-wrote), Action Comics #850, "3-2-1 Action", "The Third Kryptonian" and "Shadows Linger" are all available in trade or individually. As to Warren Ellis, no, he has not done a run on the Superman books. Also, Superman #712 which was originally supposed to come out earlier, but was shelved for various reasons.
    Last edited by Mat001; 06-25-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Uh, Kurt Buisek never said that Matt Idelson messed with his run. So until he states otherwise, he didn't have problems with him.

That's not true either. "New Krypton" was both his and Geoff Johns idea, but they had not worked out all of the details, when he had left. Busiek left Superman because he was writing "Trinity" and couldn't keep up the pace of writing monthly books and a weekly series, since he was mostly writing the latter himself. "Blackest Night" had nothing to do with "New Krypton" other than a three issue mini-series. NK's problems had to do with the story being too long and drawn out and not handled right from the start. BN was not a factor at all. Poor sales killed the momentum.

Now, for the actual stories. Yes, I would recommend his run on Superman. It was a good effort. "Up, Up And Away", "Back In Action", "Camelot Falls" volumes one and two, "Redemption" (co-wrote), Action Comics #850, "3-2-1 Action", "The Third Kryptonian" and "Shadows Linger" are all available in trade or individually. As to Warren Ellis, no, he has not done a run on the Superman books.
    Answered your concerns in the other thread.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

Thanks for answering my questions, Superfans! Off to Amazon for Busiek Superman goodness!