Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I store everything upright. Everything is bagged. If I had to guess estimates, 98% of everything is boarded too. Sometimes I try to do an A-Z but usually I put them in boxes until the current box is filled and then move on to the next box. I try to have fun with my collection too -- I regularly weed out issues I no longer want and give them away to children and adults at charity stores. It helps keeps the numbers down and refines the collection. Plus it makes other people happy too which is always cool.
    When I first 'weeded out' my collection I ended up giving away half of it. Since then I've been very finicky of what I buy.
    Check out my take on the Legion here . . .

http://www.comicsrecommended.com

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I have to confess that i don't "treasure " my Treasury Editions. They just lie around anywhere mostly in roughed up shape. My Superman Vs. Ali has more holes than Sonny had in the Godfather.
    I never came up with a good solution for my treasury editions. They are currently unbagged, unboarded, and laying on their spines on one side of a magazine box mostly filled with comics.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Where did you find bags and boards for treasury editions???
    These definitely exist, as the treasury I bought from my LCS yesterday came bagged and boarded. But I don't nkow where the bags and boards come from, as I didn't see any for sale in their supply section.

Putting them sideways inside a magazine box does seem to be a pretty good solution. It does men they will be lying on their spine, which could theoretically cause some problems long term, but if someone had a significant number of these, a magazine box dedicated just to treasuries could work well. I don't think I can fit more than 2 inside a box that is actually storing magazines, though.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

If I had just one or two tabloid size editions, I would probably put them in a drawer flat or stand them up between two oversize books on a book shelf. Since I have so many DC Limited Collectors' Editions (as well as a few Marvel Treasury Editions), I now keep them in a file box, laying flat. Some years ago, I discovered that you can get Life magazine bags that fit the tabloid editions. so I use these for most of the books--although this is just regular plastic and not some special polymer, so I don't know how well it keeps the comics (my understanding is that plastic releases gases over time which can contribute to the degradation of the paper). All of this is kind of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, since for many years I kept most of my tabloid editions in the brown cardboard mailers they came in, which protected them from the elements but probably made the paper age more. I also keep the Dini/Ross tabloids in the same box, but I found that the paper warped soon after I bought these comics--I don't think there's anything to be done about that, since it seems DC's fault for using a certain kind of paper that will naturally warp when bound.

I'm proud of having my collection in the shelf! Only buying collected editions has this perk!
    The CGC Books and some raws that I hope to upgrade are stored in a small box on the bottom shelf. It doesn't get more pretty or organized than this!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Where did you find bags and boards for treasury editions???
    They're easily found on eBay....designed specifically for 10x13 books....
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by argon31pf View Post
    Shaxper, do you insure your collection?
    Nope. My home insurance would cover some of it, of course. Beyond that, it just isn't worth it to me. My policy on any luxury item I own is that it's great to have, but I'd be fine without it if it went up in flames tomorrow. No use worrying about it, nor spending hard earned money to insure it.

(Mind you, I do not feel this way about my house in general)

When it comes to bagging TPB's and hardcovers I've used mostly magazine size bags but sometimes it leaves extra space on the sides that I find myself having to double fold the sides with tape, if somebody has found another way to bag them please let me know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    For me storing is the easiest thing in the world. That I hate marvel and DC I don't even have enough books to fill one short box.

To me its stupid to collect key issues. I never get why people want a book hundreds of issues in just because its pretty or because its the first appearance of someone stupid. Then before they know it they have a collection of comics they don't want and have a hard time selling.

I get zero Marvel or DC singles. Anything from marvel or DC i want to read i pick up in TPB or some book form.

Like the posts above me 32/50 long boxes is just a stupid amount you deserve to get stuck with that many. You have more long boxes then certain comic stores have in back issues or the dollar bin. Guess what if they get stuck with them so will you.
    You really don't understand collectors, do you? That's fine, but there's no need to be offensive about it. I have something like 27, 000 comics in my collection, built up over thirty years, and it's been my pride and joy for most of my life. I don't feel the need to justify that to anyone.

6,938 books stored in comic drawers and short boxes throughout my attic Sanctum Sanctorum.

It bothers me a little bit that when I first saw this picture, the thing that catches my eyes are the Construx in the back....

I got a ton of comics in long boxes and more often now short boxes, as they are just easier to maneuver around. I've got most bagged and boarded, but i have gone on a ton of my collection to putting 4 issues in order in a silver bag and board or bagging complete mini-series in golden age bags with a silver board. The older stuff is in individual board and bag though.

Thing I did this year that has really helped with the collection is getting some metal/wood shelving units from Lowes, so that you don't have the boxes stacked on top of each other. This one has 5 shelves and you can get 5 boxes on each shelve. The unit rated for a ton of weight, so the comics don't bug it at all. It really makes getting in and out of the boxes quite a bit easier and I wish I would have done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by HMPL View Post
    It bothers me a little bit that when I first saw this picture, the thing that catches my eyes are the Construx in the back....
    The fact that you know what those are makes you officially awesome, as well as a welcome guest in my attic anytime