Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Marvel & Mayor Michael Bloomberg Promote NYC's Marriage Opportunities

Marvel's much discussed same-sex wedding in "Astonishing X-Men" crossed paths with NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg this week, both on and off the page as the politician and publisher promoted marriage equality.

Full article here.

BANNED

lol, are people going to continue denying Iceman is gay?

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

I'm not a New Yorker, but I'm going to get an Extra-Giant soda in mayor Bloomberg's honor. Then a double Cheesburger. I'm fighting the powers that be. :)

Iceman's all Iceman.

Over this work week. SovereignPrince's Avatar

lol OKay. While I love that the picture of Iceman is in the foreground and the main image of this article I am so over all of these threads focusing on the marriage between Northstar and this absence of a character.

Seriously? They're acting like they've just gone through the Dark Phoenix Saga to come out on the other end with matching wedding bands. Not even gay comic book fans care this much about those two.
    For Nerdy Eyes Only - A comic themed writing blog.
    M White Queen Boom Boom Storm Moonstar Magik

But he's not the Mayor of New York in the Marvel Universe. So he's presumably appearing in his capacity as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Daylight View Post
    But he's not the Mayor of New York in the Marvel Universe. So he's presumably appearing in his capacity as a private citizen.
    As Iceman's plus one.

I'm sure this could cause legal problems for Bloomberg because of McCain-Feingold.

Oh, so that's who that was supposed to be?

The Spider-Man jobs edition was really successful. It was printed in the Daily News and distributed city-wide, and the message was 'Different things the city is doing to get New Yorkers jobs.' I know that a lot of other cities have looked at that model and said, 'Should we be using comic books?' Someone like Marvel has hundreds of thousands if not millions of readers who are getting their information that way. And while that's entertainment information, we can use that in all sorts of ways.
    Never let this guy see the sales charts. It'll just break his little heart in two, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    lol, are people going to continue denying Iceman is gay?
    I never got that. Iceman's had something like 3 or 4 girlfriends over the year. His last one, Opal, even (wrongly) accused Bobby of impregnating her. I look at Iceman here and all I see is an accountant schmoozing with New York's most prominent billionaire. People are reading too much into things. And what about how he recently made a pass at Kitty?

The one part I like about that scene is the Rogue bit. I don't quite remember the last time she referred to Destiny as her 2nd mother. I know that this Mystique/Destiny thing has been touched on many times over the years and we all knew, but they always tap danced around it a little. OR maybe I just don't pay that much attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex6166
    I'm not a New Yorker, but I'm going to get an Extra-Giant soda in mayor Bloomberg's honor. Then a double Cheesburger. I'm fighting the powers that be. :)
    As NYer, I can tell you that the soda thing's probably going to get slapped down. Even with the governor's backing, most people here are sick of Bloomberg overstepping his boundaries. Obesity may be a problem, but Bloomberg's wrong in playing mommy & daddy to the city. If he feels that it's okay to do the thinking for us, rights groups are going to have their say. The ban on smoking was bad enough. How soon before he bans the equally hazardous act of drinking liquor too? I love NY, but it's become an Orwellian nightmare since he took over. I think I'll join you in that soda protest, Alex. (Don't recall him banning big burger though. I'd have already sharpened my pitchfork if that had been the case.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cody View Post
    Oh, so that's who that was supposed to be?

Never let this guy see the sales charts. It'll just break his little heart in two, I'm sure.
    I know. Millions?!? Oh. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The sales ARE pretty sad though. Just a quick comparison:

Uncanny X-Men v1 #338 - September 1996 - 203,722
    Uncanny X-Men v2 #9 - March 2012 - 56,976
    Uncanny X-Men v2 #12 - May 2012 - 69,265

Even with the AvX tie-in sales boost, Uncanny only sells 34% what it did 16 years ago. And you know that post-AvX, the sales will drop back to that 57k figure. Even the core AvX mini, May's #1 selling book, can't get close to that Uncanny #338 sales figure. The entire industry is in the crapper. At this rate, a *cough* big seller like Uncanny X-Men will be selling only around 41k a month 5 years from now and 25k a month in 10.

Event sales numbers aside, this steady and continued decline makes a really good case for fixing the 616 and even the industry in general. Otherwise, we're going to witness the death of the medium in a handful of years.

I forgot JJJ is still Mayor of New York. Glad to see his security kept this event locked down TIGHT. JJJ is mutantkind's greatest sponsor. He should become Mayor of San Fran too

I would totally be up for an election story involving Sadie vs JJJ

Politicians and other 'interest groups' have way too much free time on their hands if they can follow events that happens in some comic books.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    I know. Millions?!? Oh. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. The sales ARE pretty sad though. Just a quick comparison:

Uncanny X-Men v1 #338 - September 1996 - 203,722
    Uncanny X-Men v2 #9 - March 2012 - 56,976
    Uncanny X-Men v2 #12 - May 2012 - 69,265

Even with the AvX tie-in sales boost, Uncanny only sells 34% what it did 16 years ago. And you know that post-AvX, the sales will drop back to that 57k figure. Even the core AvX mini, May's #1 selling book, can't get close to that Uncanny #338 sales figure. The entire industry is in the crapper. At this rate, a *cough* big seller like Uncanny X-Men will be selling only around 41k a month 5 years from now and 25k a month in 10.

Event sales numbers aside, this steady and continued decline makes a really good case for fixing the 616 and even the industry in general. Otherwise, we're going to witness the death of the medium in a handful of years.
    You're right. I think we should duplicate the market in the 90s.

What could possibly go wrong?
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Edit. One post at a time.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus