Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and info, everyone. I'm leaning towards trying one of the Archive books if I can find one for a decent price. Volumes 15 onwards seem to be from the consensus peak period, would that be right?

I have to acknowledge that the black and white Eisner does look quite amazing, unlike most comics art I've seen in b&w that was originally meant for colour, so I'll probably continue to pick up more of those Warren mags if I see any at cheap prices.
    Eisner's peak Spirit period is, I would say is, generously speaking, 1948 to 1952. Any work from this time frame should provide some quality entertainment in terms of art and story.

I hate to admit this but...The Spirit was never one of my favorites. I prefered the pulp heroes like Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Spider, Doc Savage.

Just wanted to say that I've always loved the Spirit and feel that, quality wise, it was way ahead of its day. Let's not forget that Eisner was working in a 7 page format. I dare say that few creators today could match his quality in a span of seven pages.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
    Just wanted to say that I've always loved the Spirit and feel that, quality wise, it was way ahead of its day. Let's not forget that Eisner was working in a 7 page format. I dare say that few creators today could match his quality in a span of seven pages.
    It was still 27 pages a month, a pretty good turnout. Of course, he has assistants, but he was still the guiding hand (and editing the rest of the section and handling the business).
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Quote Originally Posted by MDG View Post
    It was still 27 pages a month, a pretty good turnout. Of course, he has assistants, but he was still the guiding hand (and editing the rest of the section and handling the business).
    No, my point was that he had to tell an entire story in seven pages. And he did it well. Most writers today seem incapable of telling a decent story in even 20 pages, but have to string it on for months and months.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum