Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Jun 21, 2012

This week Ron Marz answers a recurring question by sitting down with frequent "Green Lantern" collaborator Darryl Banks to find out what's been keeping the artist busy in recent years.

Full article here.

I miss those issues of Green Lantern, heh. They were always packed with such fun and life, and were uniquely positive in a time of grim and gritty. Sure, it had it's moments of darkness too, but, it was a fun book.
    Every man is guilty of the good he did not do.

Fraggin' Bastich

Make it happen, Ron!!

Every time I see Darryl at a show, or chat with him online I ask him about coming back. This is definitely one of the things I don't understand about this industry. Darryl does outstanding work, and he's fast enough that he would only need a fill in a couple times a year...

I also got a good chuckle from Ron mentioning one of my pieces from Darryl in the article...I'm going to have to come up with something new for him to draw me here soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starman & Son_ink.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	95539

I hope editors are reading this column. I'd love to see Banks drawing comics regularly again, and it sounds like he'd welcome it too.

It was Marz and Banks' GL/Kyle Raynor book that got me back into comics during college after 10 years away. Which of course is a double-edged sword; I've been an avid comic collector since then, but if it wasn't for their great work on (still) my favorite character and (still) the best GL, I'd probably be able to pay off my house in cash right now :) Thanks to both of you for a great run, and hopefully someone with some sense at Marvel/DC will give Banks some work.

That is an AWESOME Starman piece of art! Jealous.

I'd absolutely welcome Mr. Banks' return. After seeing Icon depicted in the Young Justice cartoon, I could easily picture Mr. Banks' (previous style, at least) working very well for this character. I know that's a serious long-shot but I cannot explain how jaw-droppingly cool it was to see Icon (and Rocket?) in those few shots.

I could also see an easy fit with the characters he mentioned. Hell, put him back on any book Kyle is on and it'd STILL be fantastic. There's a certain something he brings to the table that gives certain characters more life and coolness than they might otherwise have (with respect to the writers).

On another note,... Lemme borrow that jacket, dawg!

small: http://www.comicbookresources.com/as...0385.jpg&w=300

large: http://www.comicbookresources.com/as...1340300385.jpg
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    That is an AWESOME Starman piece of art! Jealous.
    Thanks!

It's by far my favorite piece in my collection.

Darryl is one of the most talented artists I know. He's done at least 30 commissions for me and every one is a home run. Its criminal that he isn't one of the most sought-after talents in comics today. Here's hoping the comic industry wakes up and corrects this oversight soon.

Default Darryl Banks Newest Gig!

Quote Originally Posted by DamonO View Post
    Darryl is one of the most talented artists I know. He's done at least 30 commissions for me and every one is a home run. Its criminal that he isn't one of the most sought-after talents in comics today. Here's hoping the comic industry wakes up and corrects this oversight soon.
    Hey Everyone. JAM here, wanted to update everyone on a new Book we might be collaborating with Darryl Banks on. He has agreed to do a variant or pinup for our new Book Only Human. We just have to make sure we properly commission him for the job.

Please visit our indie go go link and help us reach the 1st stretch goal so we can have Darryl doing what he does best again!

Thanks everyone for your support and thanks Darryl for being such a great artist and agreeing to work on our book!

JAM
    Creator - Only Human