Default Space Family Robinson & Mighty Samson

Hi all! i am new here and this is a question that I am sure comes up all to often. We bought and old house and found 17 comics in the attic. I am guessing they are in fine maybe very fine condition. yellowing, minor stress wrinkles and some spine bending. I don't really have a need for these comics but don't want to give them away. i ahve done some research and some of the issues in mint are rediculously priced. Some as high as $200 per issue. I am not expecting that but don't want to get taken advantage of when I take them to the comic store.

Any idea what these may be worth? I have 10 Space Family Robinson, 7 Mighty Samson and 1 Boris Karloff.

Thanks
    Wade

look on ebay & search completed listings for rough pricings or go to mycomicshop.com and see the listings. you can also ask mycomicshop to make an offer for them.

Thanks! Here is one example of what I have. It is not mint but in very good condition.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-KEY-CGC...item5ae6085917

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

In really nice shape, that's a $40 comic. In pretty decent shape, it goes for $8.80 -- see issue #29 in this listing.

The asking price (which I'd bet money won't be met) in that eBay listing is inflated because of the CGC slabbing of the issue.

All in all, even though you're not looking at instant wealth or anything, you're describing a pretty nice find, IMHO.

As for what to expect to be offered by a comics shop, I dunno, but nowhere near what I cited above. When I worked in a collectibles store that sold (& bought) just about everything but focused on baseball cards, our general rule of thumb, IIRC, was to offer 15 percent of book value. That was 6-8 years ago, & things might've changed since then, but my impression is that that's still pretty much in the ballpark for most buyers of collectibles.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 06-21-2012 at 07:21 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post

As for what to expect to be offered by a comics shop, I dunno, but nowhere near what I cited above. When I worked in a collectibles store that sold (& bought) just about everything but focused on baseball cards, our general rule of thumb, IIRC, was to offer 15 percent of book value. That was 6-8 years ago, & things might've changed since then, but my impression is that that's still pretty much in the ballpark for most buyers of collectibles.
    i am led to believe that mycomicshop offer a fair market value for them, minus their mark up. in effect they will grade and sell them for you on your behalf and charge a fee so its much better than the usual comic shop con-fest when it comes to old back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock66 View Post
    Thanks! Here is one example of what I have. It is not mint but in very good condition.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-KEY-CGC...item5ae6085917
    yeah, its better to check completed listings rather than live listings as completed listings will show values people have paid for them (as long as they sold).

Thank you guys!! I am not trying to get rich just trying not to get taken advantage of. I will check out mycomicshop. I figured $250 was way to good to be true..... :-)

Wade