Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MegaNaught View Post
    I will see it in the theater, but waiting half way through the movie to actually show the superhero? I guess that's kind of how Iron Man was, but everyone knows the Spider-Man origin, I really don't think they need another damn origin story. I think the Incredible Hulk did that part right.
    Exactly. They could have just continued from Spiderman 3 with new casting. Don't throw out what came before and don't reinvent the wheel when the first two Spiderman movies are great. And really the third wasn't even that bad. Take away the dancing scene which seems to be what most hated about it and the rest was an okay movie that just just tried to carry to many story threads than it was able too. And even with that the third had one of the best movie endings ever in my opinion. The final scene of Peter and MJ hugging and finding a way back to each other was just so great.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 06-20-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Seriously? This again? You got bashed many months ago because you could.not.stop.harping about his 'Twilight hair', as though Robert Pattinson invented that look. Now here you are, months later, and you still can not let it go. Twilight has bad hair and angsty teenagers obsessed with their first romance. So does every friggin other movie about teenagers in the history of American cinema. If that's the sole basis for 'these are basically the same thing', then every action hero movie ever made about a rogue civil servant is 'basically Die Hard' and every romantic comedy Jennifer Aniston has ever starred in is 'basically one long movie'.
    I believe all I said was that Andrew Garfield in this movie looked a lot like Edward Cullen because of the hair that basically was a character of its own. I don't think I brought up the romance angle at all. Others than had a cow because I dared compare to it to Twilight. I also said the trailer looked very effects heavy which is where the Transformer's comparison came in.

What made Spiderman 2 great was the story and character development. Maybe this movie has that, maybe not as we don't know yet. I'm sure the movie will be pretty to look at but so is Twilight and Transformers so thats not saying a ton.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 06-20-2012 at 10:14 PM.

The anti-Twilight crowd is afraid there might be girls in the theatre.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    It's been my experience they giggle and talk WAY more than dudes while the movie is playing.
    So I don't blame that sentiment.
    (Seriously, "Hunger Games" was almost ruined by the girls in the theatre talking out loud behind me about what was ABOUT to happen in almost all important scenes)

BANNED

Wow people still aren't over the idea that it's a reboot?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I believe all I said was that Andrew Garfield in this movie looked a lot like Andrew Cullen because of the hair that basically was a character of its own.
    No one has ever had crazy hair in a movie? Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men had quite a memorably ridiculous haircut. But no one ever cares about that. And there are a million other examples of messy hair that date way before Twilight.

I don't think I brought up the romance angle at all. Others than had a cow because I dared compare to it to Twilight.
    Comparing it to Twilight, you automatically are assuming there's a serious romance angle, which does seem to be happening in ASM...but then, does every young romantic element in movies have to be compared to Twilight from now on?

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I believe all I said was that Andrew Garfield in this movie looked a lot like Andrew Cullen because of the hair that basically was a character of its own.
    I believe that's some serious revisionist history.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Robb View Post
    The girls who love Twilight are not the girls you want around.
    They are either 13 or have horrible taste.
    Yknow, unless you are 13, i guess it's ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I believe that's some serious revisionist history.
    Hardly.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post14686429

Andrew Garfield, his hair anyway, in that trailer looks like the love child of Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.
    Now back up in that same thread and you'll see that I also basically said it appeared to be copying the Batman franchise by showing him wanted by the police and you'll see many going off on me for that comparison. I'd actually forgotten about that part as I blew off the comments as being unworthy of memory.

Nonetheless you can see I didn't revise anything. I quipped a comment about the hair and earlier made a vague comment of "take everything that sucks about Twilight" which I never expounded on at the time beyond the hair. I don't even really recall what I meant at the time but you'll see that I got blasted throughout that thread for even daring to mention Twilight.

How dare I not gush in awe over this movie and the fact that Spider cracks wise over tiny knives???????????

Can't remember if it was that thread or another but I also said at one time I'm admittedly very biased as I found the first two Spidey movies near perfect and the third good, if flawed, so this reboot rubs me the wrong way. So I'm wearing my potential bias openly, how about everyone else?
    Last edited by Chiasm; 06-20-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Wow people still aren't over the idea that it's a reboot?
    People will never get over it.
    Especially when the fear is that this relaunch isn't going to be as good as it should.

I'm not that upset as I felt that we could do much better with the Osborns this time and not accuse the Sandman of killing dear old Uncle Ben.

I have not check the reviews but looking at this thread I think it will be a good moive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast View Post
    He never said he liked Twilight but that ASM seemed like it would appeal to women. Review is up a bit
    A movie pandering to women is not my cup of tea, so i'll pass. Avengers shows how to make a movie which is interesting for women also, without pandering to them.
    Last edited by kane; 06-21-2012 at 12:42 AM.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."

BANNED

He also says it has amazing action scenes and will please the fanboys.

Sounds to me that the romance might be done in a more mature way than in Raimi's films. Don't get me wrong i liked the first 2, but the romance was just... beyond terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    [snip] Don't get me wrong i liked the first 2, but the romance was just... beyond terrible.
    This I agree. It was too much soap opera melodrama.

From the review:
    "Then there’s his needle-sharp young girlfriend, Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), who wants to get under his skin even more than that radioactive arachnid did; find out what it is that makes his Spidey-senses tingle. Amid all of the soul-searching and lip-biting, it suddenly struck me: Webb has created the first superhero movie aimed primarily at women."

"Instead, the camera ogles Garfield, whose enviable glutes are showcased quite magnificently in his skin-tight bodysuit. Raimi’s films were for the teenage boys who used to dress up in Spider-Man pyjamas; Webb’s is for girls whose other halves may soon be dressing up in Spider-Man pyjamas for their benefit."

I will be waiting for more reviews, but based on this review so far it looks like I am going to skip the reboot.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."

It's funny to see people complaining about the romantic story when romance has been a big part of Peter Parker's world for decades compared to say Captain America or even Batman, who's had a lot of girls but can't for the life of him manage a committed relationship long-term. There's also the point that Webb and co. are trying to make Gwen a vital part of Peter's life in the way she's never been in the films before. That's an uphill battle of its own because the wider audience is used to the idea of MJ being Spider-man's only love. How else are they supposed to shed a tear when she inevitably dies. Heaven knows I didn't give two hoots when Rachel Dawson died. In fact, I was happy she was gone because she was weighing down the films.

EDIT: People are STILL complaining about OMD. Posters are still arguing over who Peter's true love is? NOBODY does that for Steve.
    Last edited by BrotherUnitNo_4; 06-21-2012 at 04:41 AM.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.