Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    from my experience, there's never only one bully in a school. there used to be several bully on bully incidents at my high school.
    Indeed, but there are different levels of bully. The guy that I mentioned was the only one who went beyond just being a trash talking jerk and actually relied on physical violence and intimidation. Over a three year period, he had been involved in a few fights and a couple of near ones. The others in my class, the guys did bully another kid, but it was verbal and not physical except for one time, which was the result of an accident. Those guys stopped picking on him after that and by the time that kid and his family had left town, two years later, well, they weren't the best of friends. But there had been no more incidences.

It also depends on where you live. You're obviously from Chicago, so being in a larger city like that, you're going to find more violence than a small town in Nebraska. There was never bully on bully fighting, during the ten years I went to that school system. Much less during the eight years that guy was in school. He did have two separate guys that had sided with him and contributed to his actions. But neither time did they go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treqqor View Post
    True, but there was at least an arc, which the movie didn't have. He started out as a selfish douche and ended the exact same way, especially with his personal life. He didn't learn anything.
    I don't even care about that. Story conventions can be and will be broken.

The obvious problem with the ending is a simple moral and cultural issue. If you break a promise you make to a dying man immediately after he dies, you're a terrible person. But Spider-Man is supposed to be a hero. With this in mind, what does The Amazing Spider-Man teach the children who watch it?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl O'Neill View Post
    Love this article.

"AND THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN DOESN'T ACTUALLY HAVE A STORY."

http://badassdigest.com/2012/07/06/f...t-an-uncle-be/
    I was lost when the writer dropped the "Spider-Man 2 is a perfect comic film" line.

No, its not.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    I don't even care about that. Story conventions can be and will be broken.

The obvious problem with the ending is a simple moral and cultural issue. If you break a promise you make to a dying man immediately after he dies, you're a terrible person. But Spider-Man is supposed to be a hero. With this in mind, what does The Amazing Spider-Man teach the children who watch it?
    It's a pretty crappy lesson...and especially cynical when viewed through the lens of her inevitable fate.

They should have gone with Captain Stacy making Peter promise to protect Gwen.

Her death would still be a personal failure, but not for lack of trying.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I was lost when the writer dropped the "Spider-Man 2 is a perfect comic film" line.

No, its not.
    That line made me pause as well.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

No, its not.
    There's nothing wrong with articles that show you what they consider to be the best to see how things are compared and allow you a frame of reference. OBVIOUSLY every single human on earth has a different idea of which superhero movie is most perfect for them. It's nothing to get all high and mighty about and dismiss everything after. Especially when the movie is generally pretty well regarded anyways, whether everyone personally agrees or not. It's not like he said "Steel" was the greatest or anything.

There's nothing wrong with articles that show you what they consider to be the best to see how things are compared and allow you a frame of reference.
    There's also nothing wrong with finding the frame of reference a little silly, as The Amazing Spider-Man takes plenty of tips from Spider-Man 2 when it comes to manufacturing cheap drama.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    There's also nothing wrong with finding the frame of reference a little silly, as The Amazing Spider-Man takes plenty of tips from Spider-Man 2 when it comes to manufacturing cheap drama.
    Just because you take tips from a certain source doesn't mean it's done better the 2nd time around. Of course, the opposite is also true.

I think both movies are incredibly flawed, so you'll get no argument from me on that point.

The ALL CAPS takes time to get used to, but he is a very insightful and sharp writer. His screen writing and acting articles are worth a read as well. Think I have read a huge portion of his work.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

There's nothing wrong with articles that show you what they consider to be the best to see how things are compared and allow you a frame of reference. OBVIOUSLY every single human on earth has a different idea of which superhero movie is most perfect for them. It's nothing to get all high and mighty about and dismiss everything after. Especially when the movie is generally pretty well regarded anyways, whether everyone personally agrees or not. It's not like he said "Steel" was the greatest or anything.
    Steel was the Citizen Kane of super hero movies. Silence!
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

That was Catwoman with Halle Berry!
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

No, its not.
    It's as perfect as SAW is the perfect horror film
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity

Steel was the Citizen Kane of super hero movies. Silence!
    Judd Nelson was harsh...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Someone said "this Peter is the worst main character in a movie"
    I disagree, watch Triple X and see what a complete douche that Xander Berkeley is, barely anything about him is likable
    Disobeys orders, respects no one, gives away his fellow cop, always foul mouthed.......
    He's more of an a**h*** than Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters. At least Peter has his charm and moments, and a good use for being the way he is making the movie more entertaining. Xander makes me wish to see him shot in every frame since Jackson had a chat with him
    Blogger

I am obsessed with the idea of completely erasing Spider-Man from every Marvel continuity