Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I really liked this film. I thought it could have used a little bit more humor (the only time I laughed out loud was for Stan's bit) but I appreciated the different approach. At least I didn't feel like I was watching the same movie over again. The only complaint I have is that Uncle Ben should have congratulated Peter for taking Flash down a peg, rather than berated him.
    Actually, that is in character for Ben. He would not want Peter to do anything that could cause harm to someone. It's one thing to stand up for yourself, it's another to do it as it happened in this film.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton
    Masks limit facial expressions, which is probably why we see heroes take them off so much.
    And Spidey's mask is the worst offender. That's why there have been artists who played around with his mask, using the eyes to convey emotion. Todd MacFarlene was known for that.

The big difference between the trilogy and Webb's reboot is that Raimi at least had semi-plausible reasons for Peter to take the mask off, like when it caught on fire or was filled with sand. And he didn't give his identity away to Mary Jane at the first opportunity. Technically, he never gave it away. She just saw him without his mask at the end of SM2.
    MJ was suspicious before then when they had kissed at the end of the first film and she thought it felt familiar when they had kissed earlier.

This almost branches off into a completely different conversation, but comic books themselves have watered down the secret identity thing pretty extensively in the last decade.

I'm not really a fan of the trend.
    *cough*Bendis!*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    And Spidey's mask is the worst offender. That's why there have been artists who played around with his mask, using the eyes to convey emotion. Todd MacFarlene was known for that.
    I'd really like to see a live-action movie attempt the same thing.
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by DennyK View Post
    I liked the first one, but found Goblin's look distracting.

This Goblin, look a like from a japanese tv series.

So I finally got around to seeing this movie and I have to say I enjoyed it. I didn't quite like it as much as the first two Spidey films, but it was still pretty good. Though I have to say I prefer Dr. Connors to be a more sympathetic character, but it seems like it was heavily implied he had something to do with Peter's parents disappearing(or dying) so it's hard to feel bad for him.

One thing that confused me is that Gwen's father saw Peter without his mask, but weren't there other cops around that would of also seen it? Or was it at just the right angle that only Captain Stacy saw it?
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-15-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    So I finally got around to seeing this movie and I have to say I enjoyed it. I didn't quite like it as much as the first two Spidey films, but it was still pretty good. Though I have to say I prefer Dr. Connors to be a more sympathetic character, but it seems like it was heavily implied he had something to do with Peter's parents disappearing(or dying) so it's hard to feel bad for him.

One thing that confused me is that Gwen's father saw Peter without his mask, but weren't there other cops around that would of also seen it? Or was it at just the right angle that only Captain Stacy saw it?
    On the other hand, it's also clear that he is very guilty about it, and highly protective of peter

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    On the other hand, it's also clear that he is very guilty about it, and highly protective of peter
    True, but it's hard for me to feel sorry for a murderer.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Yeah, this was a departure from the comics in that he is definately involved somehow in what happened to Peter's parents. It made him more sinister which fit right in with what he tried to do as the Lizard in evolving everyone (early Lizard was this way too, but audiences would have likely been confused). I did like that there were lines he would not cross though, like killing Gwen when he had her trapped in the lab.

Captain Stacy was the last cop standing and the only one who got a full look at his face. Petey had already knocked out the others before they could get a clear view of his face.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    Well its that and he does so many super-powered things even without his mask on in the first place that attempting a secret identity is stupid. Like when he shows up Flash on the basketball court, throws a football 70 yards and dents a field goal post, when he chases down goons early on.
    Eh, that might have been a surprising act, but I don't think most people would think "this guy has super-powers." They would have "found" a more practical explanation, like the posts were old and needed replacing.

Actually, that is in character for Ben. He would not want Peter to do anything that could cause harm to someone. It's one thing to stand up for yourself, it's another to do it as it happened in this film.
    But he didn't harm anyone. Well, I suppose the broken glass could have hurt someone, but it wasn't shown to have done so.

He just gave Flash a taste of his own medicine, which is what you have to do with bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothDZX View Post
    I'd really like to see a live-action movie attempt the same thing.
    Sadly, that's where the whole thing would jump the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf
    But he didn't harm anyone. Well, I suppose the broken glass could have hurt someone, but it wasn't shown to have done so.

He just gave Flash a taste of his own medicine, which is what you have to do with bullies.
    Except Peter used his powers to do it and not in a good way, which is what bothered Ben. Peter didn't behave responsibly which is why he got on him like he did. Peter had the great power, but he didn't use it responsibly. And fighting isn't the only solution to stopping bullying.

And fighting isn't the only solution to stopping bullying.
    You can hardly blame someone for fighting back, however.

I also know that alternate solutions are sometimes not possible in reality.

I'm not denying that fighting isn't a viable solution, but there are pros and cons. Can you beat the bully? Simply fighting won't change things if the bully is really an assclown. Fighting and winning said fight, might work. But then it might not because you can be blindsided later on. Or said bully has help. I've been in that position and found that simply fighting doesn't end the conflict. In the case of the film version of Peter, the problem is that Peter could have killed Flash. That's what bothered Ben. That he fought and fought with his strength.

A bully doesn't stop because he or she has gotten into a fight and lost. Not always. They can still get you if you have a weakness that they can exploit.

I'd wonder what Ben would of wanted him to do though. Tell a teacher? Just walk away? The problem is Flash seemed like the kind of d-bag where just walking away wouldn't solve anything.

To me Flash had a humiliation coming to him, the thing Peter did wrong was that he knew he had powers and hadn't learned to control them yet, but it's not like Ben knew about the powers. Seriously, get control of your powers *then* humiliate the bully.
    Last edited by Surtur; 11-16-2012 at 02:42 PM.

I'm torned on the topic of Spidey and Flash. In one hand i'm like "yea you're getting yours bully!", on the other hand Peter has super-powers and it's not very heroic.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I'm torned on the topic of Spidey and Flash. In one hand i'm like "yea you're getting yours bully!", on the other hand Peter has super-powers and it's not very heroic.
    That's it exactly.
    Peter Parker was always a decent person who made one bad call (part of that "Parker luck" we all know and love) in most interpretations.

In this one, there was no bad Parker luck. Parker in this went out of his way to get into trouble, right down to getting bit by the spider. I really had no sympathy for the character, and in fact didn't like him at all, while in cartoons and comics he's one of my absolute favourites.