Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man -- early reviews are in

"Twilight in Spandex"
    http://io9.com/5919749/early-reviews...ium=socialflow

Most are good, many are mixed.

that's good to hear. I would like to like this if I can

Right now Amazing Spider-Man is getting 83% on Rotten Tomatoes. In comparison, Spider-Man was at 89%, Spider-Man 2 was at 93%, and Spider-Man 3 was at 63%.

Twilight in Spandex is possibly the worst thing ever.

Elder Member

This review in particular caught my eye:

Quote Originally Posted by London Evening Standard
    Webb's film is slow on plot, skimpy on character development. It takes 45 minutes for Peter's Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) to be murdered, an hour till we see the spider suit. Then Peter goes from dorky to cocky without passing charm on the way.
    After watching the extended clip of Peter confronting the carjacker, I knew someone was gonna bitch about how big of a tool SM came off in that scene. But anyone who's really familiar with the character's origin should love that, because not only is that exactly how he was in Amazing Fantasy 15, but it also plays very true to life. When someone at the low end of the social order--people who've been pushed around and pissed on their whole lives--actually manages to find himself in a position of power and authority, it's frequently the case, at least initially, that they become assholes who get off on flexing their new found muscle.

The person who reviewed that probably isn't familiar enough of Twilight to make that comparison
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The person who reviewed that probably isn't familiar enough of Twilight to make that comparison
    I hope not.
    Because i read it as "This movie is full of unlikable characters and the least likeable main character in the history of film."

I like the idea of Spider-Man being a smartass and a little cocky. I saw that preview, too, and it didn't seem uncharacteristic to me.

And, if the reviewer is comparing Emma Stone to Kristen Stewart, the reviewer should be fired and possibly jailed for crimes against humanity.
    Last edited by MegaNaught; 06-20-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added additional thought

BANNED

....an hour till we see the spider suit.
    I smell a Brian Michael Bendis influence there. Ultimate Spider-Man went how many issues before he donned the suit? Six or seven issues?

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

And I got bashed on this forum by many months ago after the first trailer for basically calling it the Amazing Twilight Transformer Spider or something like that. Looks like some of the reviewers are saying the same. That doesn't mean it has to suck as there are some decent parts to the Twilight films even if they are surrounded by a god-awful teen angst romance (most who like to bash them haven't even seen them whereas I have a 13 year old daughter who is a Twi-hard so I have seen them with her). The Twilight movies have great music, great cinematography, snippets of a decent backstory to some characters, its just the love triangle that sucks so bad.

Anyway, at this point my excitement meter for this film is about a 3. Somewhere above Thats My Boy and just below th Dictator, neither of which I've seen and neither which I ever intend to see. I'll probably rent this movie at some point but I'm not going to pay movie theater price for it.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 06-20-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    And I got bashed on this forum by many months ago after the first trailer for basically calling it the Amazing Twilight Transformer Spider or something like that. Looks like some of the reviewers are saying the same. That doesn't mean it has to suck as there are some decent parts to the Twilight films even if they are surrounded by a god-awful teen angst romance (most who like to bash them haven't even seen them whereas I have a 13 year old daughter who is a Twi-hard so I have seen them with her). The Twilight movies have great music, great cinematography, snippets of a decent backstory to some characters, its just the love triangle that sucks so bad.
    Anyway, at this point my excitement meter for this film is about a 3. Somewhere above Thats My Boy and just below th Dictator, neither of which I've seen and neither which I ever intend to see. I'll probably rent this movie at some point but I'm not going to pay movie theater price for it.
    I will see it in the theater, but waiting half way through the movie to actually show the superhero? I guess that's kind of how Iron Man was, but everyone knows the Spider-Man origin, I really don't think they need another damn origin story. I think the Incredible Hulk did that part right.

....an hour till we see the spider suit.
    Considering I'm not overly fond of the new suit, perhaps this is a blessing in disguise?
    Eh, Comics is a pretty cool guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I hope not.
    Because i read it as "This movie is full of unlikable characters and the least likeable main character in the history of film."
    One of the reviews clarified it as more rom commy than the previous ones and embracing the teem to young adult female demographic, not that it's plot or anything had anything to do with Twilight

BANNED

Batman Begins waited an hour to show Batman, and that first scene barely showed him. I don't think it's a big deal in and of itself. I really do grow tired of origin stories, though. But that's more to do with the amount of superhero movies happening these days.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    Batman Begins waited an hour to show Batman, and that first scene barely showed him. I don't think it's a big deal in and of itself. I really do grow tired of origin stories, though. But that's more to do with the amount of superhero movies happening these days.
    I agree with you on that, especially on reboots. However, for Batman Begins, it kind of makes sense. Batman's origing story hadn't really been filmed before. I know Batman and Batman Forever kind of touched upon it, there really hadn't been a straight origin story. In my opinion, AS-M having an origing story would be like a new Batman movie in coming out in 2015 and having a Batman origin story. A waste of screen time, IMO.