Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default COMMENTARY TRACK: Parker on "Hulk" #53

In CBR's latest COMMENTARY TRACK, writer Jeff Parker joins us for a look at some of the pivotal moments in "Hulk" #53, the first chapter in the current "Mayan Rule" arc.

Full article here.

Haven't gotten my issue yet, but Eaglesham is killing on art here. Hopefully Marvel keeps him around on Hulk or partnered with Parker whatever happens after Mayan Rule.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

This is one of my favorite books out there right now, and it's really made me a big fan of Jeff Parker's work. I'm thinking about going back and getting his Agents of Atlas work, which I heard was great, and I'm definitely going to try his Dark Avengers.

And Eaglesham is killing on this book: I'd love to see him stick around.

Speaking of sticking around, I didn't see a solicit for Hulk in the September solicits: should I be worried about this book getting cancelled, or are they just taking a one-month hiatus? If it's the foremost, I'm gonna get really, REALLY angry. If it's the latter, I understand: this book has been double-shipping a lot lately.

Keep up the great work, Jeff and Dale!

I haven't been reading this. Same Ixchel?

The interview makes it sound like these aren't the real Mayan gods. So does that mean Ahpuch and Wayep don't make appearances?

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

From the interview it's not conclusive that they are the original deities or just impostors, like maybe the Eternal representatives of the Mayan gods. Oh and Ixchel's outfit (red with yellow) is identical to what Crystal wore when Diablo brainwashed her into believing she was the goddess in a old issue of FF.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

Meh. Flipped through issue #54 at the store today.

It looks like Parker is using Ixchel (Goddess of the Moon), Ahpuch (God of the Dead), and Camazotz (God of Darkness) -- all of who have been seen in the Marvel Universe before, although their appearances here are slightly different than we've seen prior to this.

Added to that, we have Yum Kaax (God of the Forest), Tohil (God of Fire), and Jacawitz (God of Volcanos), who (to my knowledge) have never appeared in the Marvel Universe before.

The story seems to play it a little fast and loose with Marvel's continuity of the Mayan gods. The story makes it seem liked they've all been imprisoned for millennia, but Ahpuch teamed-up with Mephisto and other death gods in the recent past (and was nearly consumed by Demogorge), while Itzamna and Hunab Ku have made frequent appearances with the Council of Godheads.

So, it's possible that these are merely super-powered mortals pretending to be Mayan gods. Alternatively, Parker might have just been ignorant of previous portrayals of Mayan gods at Marvel and decided to do his own thing. Either way, (although usually a fan of Parker) I don't have much interest.

Instead, I'd suggest everyone pick up Journey Into Myster #640 today. Kieron Gillen does his research and tells an awesome story while getting the Marvel mythology right.

Season 2 of Blue Estate CTpitch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    Meh. Flipped through issue #54 at the store today.

It looks like Parker is using Ixchel (Goddess of the Moon), Ahpuch (God of the Dead), and Camazotz (God of Darkness) -- all of who have been seen in the Marvel Universe before, although their appearances here are slightly different than we've seen prior to this.

Added to that, we have Yum Kaax (God of the Forest), Tohil (God of Fire), and Jacawitz (God of Volcanos), who (to my knowledge) have never appeared in the Marvel Universe before.

The story seems to play it a little fast and loose with Marvel's continuity of the Mayan gods. The story makes it seem liked they've all been imprisoned for millennia, but Ahpuch teamed-up with Mephisto and other death gods in the recent past (and was nearly consumed by Demogorge), while Itzamna and Hunab Ku have made frequent appearances with the Council of Godheads.

So, it's possible that these are merely super-powered mortals pretending to be Mayan gods. Alternatively, Parker might have just been ignorant of previous portrayals of Mayan gods at Marvel and decided to do his own thing. Either way, (although usually a fan of Parker) I don't have much interest.

Instead, I'd suggest everyone pick up Journey Into Myster #640 today. Kieron Gillen does his research and tells an awesome story while getting the Marvel mythology right.
    well I bought it and actually read it and it was quite good
    A Happy supporter of Indie comics and B-list heroes

Check out the Death to Comics Podcast...if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by CTpitch View Post
    well I bought it and actually read it and it was quite good
    Oh, I "actually read it" as well . . . only I placed it back on the shelf when I was finished.

A guy who loves comics Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundrave View Post
    ...It looks like Parker is using Ixchel (Goddess of the Moon), Ahpuch (God of the Dead), and Camazotz (God of Darkness) -- all of who have been seen in the Marvel Universe before, although their appearances here are slightly different than we've seen prior to this.

So, it's possible that these are merely super-powered mortals pretending to be Mayan gods. Alternatively, Parker might have just been ignorant of previous portrayals of Mayan gods at Marvel and decided to do his own thing...
    Based on what Parker said here, it seems like he's either doing his own thing or going the pretender route.

Either way, if Parker plays the continuity a little loose with lesser-known (and even less-frequently used) characters, is it really that big a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Either way, if Parker plays the continuity a little loose with lesser-known (and even less-frequently used) characters, is it really that big a deal?
    I guess it's just when great writers like Gillen come along and nail the mythological continuity (no matter how lesser known or less frequently used) so perfectly (while still telling a great story), it makes me hold the merely good writers like Parker to a higher standard.

Great writers do the research and have the creativity to make the story fit the continuity, rather than vice versa.

That said, this could still be an "imposter god" scenario, so let's wait and see.

No reason given for jen to get shaft again. Why is she even need in this book if this going to be used this crapply again. Waste of use of the character. 54 not any better. Both issues were pretty bad.
    Save DCU from DCNU!

Q.: How can you tell when Dan DiDio is lying?
    A.: When you see his lips move.

Marriage-Tracer killer Dr. Chaos's Avatar

Oh damn..

Things haven't been easy for Jen and Lyra lately, have they?
    I'm beginning to think that Hell is a comic book forum.

-Gitaroo_Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chaos View Post
    Oh damn..

Things haven't been easy for Jen and Lyra lately, have they?
    Yeah Jen being used for canon fodder for Rogue, Namor, stupid Mayan villains is just a waste of the character. She appears three panels in 53 and new issues just really even more waste.
    Save DCU from DCNU!

Q.: How can you tell when Dan DiDio is lying?
    A.: When you see his lips move.