Default For the sake of story...

The only Ultimate title I've read read religiously is Ultimate Spider-Man. I only deviate to the others when I need to get the story blanks filled in from crossover events, like Ultimatum. As of now, the only other Ultimate comics I have BESIDES all of USM read are the issues that were included in Ultimatum and Ultimate Fallout.

My question is this: For the sake of story, should I try to go back and read series such as Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-Men, the Ultimates and the newer reborn versions? Or should I just leave them alone and follow along today?

If I DO go back, where should I start, what should I skip, what should I know, etc.

Any and all answers would be appreciated.

If this doesn't need a new thread, feel free to move it somewhere else.

Regards!
    ~Copper
    My uncle once told me something I will never forget for the rest of my life..."Thwip Thwip."

Ultimates 1 and 2 are definitely worth reading. Ultimate X-Men is worth reading too (though at some point I don't remember off-hand the quality drops off).

I missed out on Ultimate X-Men the first time around. I'm slowly making my way through it now and it's very rewarding.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Unlike the other three Ultimate franchises (X-Men, Ultimates and FF), Spider-Man largely stands on its own. So if you're not interested in the other Ultimate titles, you'll be okay just reading Spider-Man.

However, The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men are very, very good in their own right, and I highly recommend them.

If you read all of the Ultimate titles together, you will begin to see how tightly interconnected they really are, and you'll begin to see that the Ultimate imprint is really one big story.

spoilers:
    Everything--and I mean everything--in the Ultimate Universe leads back to Captain America. He is, in essence, the lynchpin of the entire universe.
    end of spoilers

So, long story short:

- The other Ultimate titles don't often touch Spider-Man directly.
    - However, there's a big, big payoff if you read everything together.
    Last edited by RockyBanks; 06-20-2012 at 07:18 AM.

I would say Ultimates 1 and 2 are fairly important, some x-men stories are (though most are worth reading) and Ultimate Fantastic Four is mostly irrelevant. To be honest, the only required reading IMO is Ultimates 1 and 2, just because the characters are so important to the universe as a whole. The Fantastic Four plot lines are pretty self-contained, and while X-men has a few crossovers and The Tomorrow People is probably required reading too, much of it can be skipped.

Obviously if you can, read them, but I would not say all of it is necessary =)

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll definitely go out and see about getting the Ultimates 1 and 2, and look for some Ultimate X-Men as well.
    My uncle once told me something I will never forget for the rest of my life..."Thwip Thwip."

I am currently reading through Ultimate Fantastic Four for the first time, and I am not enjoying it. I am only up to issue 23 though so maybe it gets better. The Dr Doom arc was the only storyarc I have enjoyed so far. The two-issue arc with the Ultimate Mad Thinkerer was absolutely horrible, easily one of the worst storyarcs I have ever read and I have read thousands of comics.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

I liked Mark Millar's 2nd run with Greg Land on Ultimate FF, lots of wacky ideas & origin of the zombie-verse (which, as diluted as it has become, was still a great original story arc). Big yes to Ultimates 1 & 2, and I liked BKV's run of UXM (actually, that run ties in rather neatly with the Kitty Pryde stuff in Ultimate Spidey). Ultimatum is kind of mandatory reading, even if you don't like it, sit back and take your Loeb medicine!

Yeah, fan opinion on UFF tends to be mediocre. I enjoyed the first few arcs, but I just never felt comfortable with it. It just never seemed to fit, which I'd imagine is why there's been no attempt (yet) to revive it.

I'm still holding out hope that some Marvel exec has stumbled across my pleas for an FF miniseries, starring an all-new lineup of The Thing, The Invisible Woman, Captain Marvel, and Nova.

I agree with all the above suggestions, but mine is just for the sake of the spider-man story. I feel like that might have been what you were intending to ask for. Stories that contribute to the spider-man story that didn't take place in a spider-man comic.

Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates #4 fills in a small but really significant blank in the death of spider-man story that I really wish had been included in his book. I had read death of spider-man alone the first time, and the second time I read it, I read Avengers vs. New Ultimates at the same time, and my feelings about Captain America changed completely from "he should seriously be ashamed of himself, what an a$$hole" to "wow, Cap may be the most genuinely good hero aside from spider-man". You'll see how spider-man got left alone bleeding to death and unconscious, and also a line from Captain America that any Spider-Man fan would love to hear, which also completely redeems Captain America as a character. I feel like Cap's intentions in trying to ground spidey were truly to keep him out of harms way, and he would have wanted spider-man to be on the ultimates, but not yet because he wasn't even old enough to be a soldier. He doesn't say all that but read at least that issue. No Spidey or Cap fan should miss it. It's the most significant Spider-Man moment I've seen in a non spider-man issue.

There's also the whole Ultimate Doomsday event. There are some really good Spider-Man moments in that. One scene involves Dr. Octopus and shows an important distinction in the personalities of Peter and his female clone, Jess. The whole event really has a lot of Jess in it so if you consider her relevant to Spider-Man(as I do), definitely read that.

And you've already read fallout so that's that.

Anything that came before Ultimatum I'm not very knowledgeable about. I started late and have read Ultimatum and everything that followed it. Those I listed are the only post Ultimatum stories that you MUST read unless you want to branch beyond spider-man.. in which case you should just go down the reading list and buy everything on it. You can still get good prices on the Ultimate Collections in paperback on Amazon, and the Ultimate Avengers Omnibus is still very cheap for an omnibus.. most of the other oversized hardcover collections are really expensive now

I just happened to think of Ultimate Six. It was originally released as a separate miniseries, but is collected as Ultimate Spider-Man volume 9. If you're grabbing the issues individually, you may have missed this. (I probably would have.)

It's a crossover between USM and The Ultimates, but for all intents and purposes, it's a Spider-Man story. (And a big one, too.)

BANNED

I'd say go back and read what mini series' you can find. I recommend starting with The Ultimates 1 and 2 and the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy.