Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Pipeline - Jun 19, 2012

Augie finally sits down with Mark Waid's "Daredevil" run and likes what he sees: A font. Go figure. Also, Image's "Planetoid" #1 Todd McFarlane's Spider-Man and plenty more.

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by Augie
    The Original Art Find of the Week: Check out this page from "Amazing Spider-Man" #325. It's a classic McFarlane Spider-Man page, but the most interesting thing about it is how it clears up an awkward piece of art that's always stuck out in my mind. Check out Spider-Man's hand in the final panel, and then compare it to the final image in the printed comic. It's been changed for publication. That hand, as seen in the comic, never looked right to me. It's horrible. Is that supposed to be a forearm above the hand that's jutting out? The hand has none of McFarlane's inking characteristics. No doubt it was redrawn by someone in the bullpen, probably one of Romita's Raiders.

Why make the change? I'm guessing it's the way the action moves from right to left and the Spider Sensor crosses back across the gutter between panels. It's counter-intuitive and disruptive. I don't mind it so much and have seen much worse examples of right-to-left storytelling making it to print, but I'd understand if that was the reason for the change.
    I'm guessing it's because Todd's original Spider-Man hand is drawn in the same position he uses to spin webs and he's not supposed to be spinning webs but throwing a Spider Sensor.
    --
    Erik Larsen
    Savage Dragon perpetrator

www.imagecomics.com
    www.savagedragon.com

Good point, Erik. In my mind, I read it as Spidey flipping a tracker in that direction. But you're right that the position wouldn't really work. Thanks for pointing that out. I should mention it in the next Pipeline...

-Augie