Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    lol, Dr. Hurt, I'm with you on not wanting so much Grim Dark. Seriously are we going back to the era of the Blood and guts sells idea. I miss the fun comics that actually made me think with the bat family. Heck Damian was growing on me.
    Despite his psychological issues, Damian was one of the most fun characters of the batfamily if you've read B&R or his cameos in Batgirl.

Of course Damian is trying to corrupt Bruce. That's what his existence is for. The central part of Morrison's run is Batman brutally attacking Darkseid and Darkseid's revenge with his Ancestor Box. Damian is part of Darkseid's history attack that he set loose with the Hyper-Adaptor. As Professor Pyg said when he saw Damian in B&R 15, "That's him! They're all crawling from the box now!" Pyg, having been influenced by Thomas Wayne/The Hyper-Adaptor, the servant weapon of Darkseid, was able to recognized his master's work. Damian is a weapon sent through time by Darkseid to attack Batman, like so many other things in Morrison's run. However, Batman has been beating Darkseid in every instance so far, so I think he'll beat Damian's corrupting influence as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Despite his psychological issues, Damian was one of the most fun characters of the batfamily if you've read B&R or his cameos in Batgirl.
    i loved when Damian had cameos with Stephanie in Batgirl, she brought out the little boy in him lol

Quote Originally Posted by rpi View Post
    Of course Damian is trying to corrupt Bruce. . . . I think he'll beat Damian's corrupting influence as well.
    This is a valid point to me, though not in the manner you mean it. Damian was created with the purpose of corrupting Bruce into converting to Talia's view of the world. Even if Damian himself isn't trying to corrupt Bruce (which I don't believe he is), he is causing Bruce to re-examine his standards towards himself and others. Bruce has already shown that he himself will not compromise as he refused to kill Nobody when, if we were in his bat-boots, all of us would have after seeing and hearing our son tortured.

Think of how bad Damian could be! He turned away from his mother and is trying to see and apply his father's philosophy. He could still be an assassin if he wanted to but he wants to be a good guy. Give the kid some credit, people. HE'S TEN YEARS OLD!!! Changing will take time, more time than a week and a couple missions. Have some patience with children.

I also find it interesting how many people hate Damian but love Jason when fans hated Jason's tenure as Robin. They hated him so much, they voted for DC to kill him off. So do people hate Damian, or do they just hate any Robin who isn't Dick?
    Chill!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Freeze View Post
    This is a valid point to me, though not in the manner you mean it. Damian was created with the purpose of corrupting Bruce into converting to Talia's view of the world. Even if Damian himself isn't trying to corrupt Bruce (which I don't believe he is), he is causing Bruce to re-examine his standards towards himself and others. Bruce has already shown that he himself will not compromise as he refused to kill Nobody when, if we were in his bat-boots, all of us would have after seeing and hearing our son tortured.

Think of how bad Damian could be! He turned away from his mother and is trying to see and apply his father's philosophy. He could still be an assassin if he wanted to but he wants to be a good guy. Give the kid some credit, people. HE'S TEN YEARS OLD!!! Changing will take time, more time than a week and a couple missions. Have some patience with children.

I also find it interesting how many people hate Damian but love Jason when fans hated Jason's tenure as Robin. They hated him so much, they voted for DC to kill him off. So do people hate Damian, or do they just hate any Robin who isn't Dick?
    Wow you pretty much took the words right out of my brain lol

I think most readers dislike any character that makes Batman veer from the core concepts that make him who he is. Is it always done well? No but Bruce is human first and just like any of us has to face decisions that even he might not be sure about or might be plain wrong about. Does it mean he's being corrupted? No, I don't think so at all.

My problem with this is not that Damian is taking to long to change but that this change had already started pre-reboot while he was training with Dick and he had already made great strides toward that change at the time. I, at least, expected it to continue from that point even though he would now be training with his father but that doesn't appear to have happened. I also have a problem with the heavy handedness that Tomasi is using here. Yes, Damian has problems with his unbringing. He has issues with his parents and siblings. He is questioning himself and his standing his family and whether or not they view him as an acceptable Robin. He has trust issues. The list could go on but I don't think the book should be entirely focused on those things like it has been from issue one. Other authors have dealt with his issues in a less heavy handed manner and I prefer it to this.

I don't hate him at all actually, which is why I'm finding this run to be disappointing, nor do I think he is corrupting Bruce. I'm just finding Bruce choices regarding Damian to be to far in the opposite direction from the choices he made under the same circumstances with Jason. Likewise I was a Jason Todd fan from the beginning of his tenure as Robin. The vote to killing him of was unnecessary stunt to get sales as well as being in very bad taste in my opinion and it was actually one of the reasons I quite comics for a time. I do find it amusing that the some people who hated Jason love Damian to pieces when they are both basically troubled children and share several of the same character traits.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

It's funny, I've only really started to like Jason when Scott Lobdell began writing him and I only really began to like Damien when Paul Dini began writing him in SOG. As for Damien in B&R, I really don't like him at all. I think it's his arrogance and self-importance, something Jason doesn't seem to have in RH&TO. That said, while I really don't care for Damien at all, anymore, I think B&R is a great title. Damien's just a fantastic character for Bruce to play off of.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    My problem with this is not that Damian is taking to long to change but that this change had already started pre-reboot while he was training with Dick and he had already made great strides toward that change at the time. I, at least, expected it to continue from that point even though he would now be training with his father but that doesn't appear to have happened.
    I feel you here. But we lost a lot of things in the relaunch. Every character lost some of their development and growth. Hopefully Damian continues in the path he was on before. It is interesting to watch him grow under the guidance of Bruce as opposed to Dick.
    Chill!

I feel you here. But we lost a lot of things in the relaunch. Every character lost some of their development and growth. Hopefully Damian continues in the path he was on before. It is interesting to watch him grow under the guidance of Bruce as opposed to Dick.
    That's why I sort of think that Damian has been deaged a bit like the others have been. Other people have argued that he can't of been since he is still the same age as he was pre-reboot but I think they may have backtracked him by several months just as they have backtracked other characters by several years. It is interesting to see him under Bruce's guidance rather than Dick's though, which is why I continue to buy the book even though I have dropped it from my pull list and overall it has thus far disappointed me.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

I didn't read through every page, but I apologize if someone else brought this up. But when Bruce suspected that Jason might have killed at the end of Batman #424, he didn't tell Jim about it. In fact, he continued to let Jason patrol as Robin until that incident at the start of "A Death In The Family", where he jumped the gun which lead to Jason's being pulled from active duty. Not to mention he didn't point Jim in the direction of Jean Paul Valley after "KnightsEnd" ended, nor when he was running around Gotham. It's not the first time he's done this. Though here it may be on purpose as part of where the story is going. Course, some things might be different now.

I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar

He covered up the murder because he's not a hero. He's whatever Damian needs him to be.

The Fraud Knight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Grrr..... don't remind me of how good these books used to be